[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

Sorry for the clueless n00b questions. This looks like a really cool app. I’m trying to install it from the instructions here but I’m nothing close to a developer. I tried adding all three components in my ST account under ‘My Device Handlers’. I ticked ‘create new’ and ‘from code’ then copied and pasted everything from each link, saved it and successfully published them. They now show up in the list under ‘My Device Handlers’. I looked both in my ST app and on my account page under ‘My Smart Apps’ but there’s nothing there. I’m not sure how to install the RM app. Can you point me to some documentation written for mere mortals? Thanks…!

You need to have the following installed:
Device Handler:
Smartapps:

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks - much appreciated. I don’t see rooms: child settings or rooms: vacation, but I’m guessing they’re part of the other two or generated by them since vacation manager shows up in the initial menu when I start rooms manager… Anyway, seems like it’s working now… I need to spend some time reading the rest of this thread and messing with everything to make sense of it. Thanks for sharing your talent and helping me get it going…!

Don’t sweat it. I’m fairly new to the community as well and everybody is very helpful here. Bengali has created a very useful app.

1 Like

I’m experiencing something similar, I just haven’t had time to check logs , at the moment my smart rooms have been reverted back to manual lights.

I’m having an issue with AutoLevel on one of my rooms. AutoLevel works in my other rooms, but for some reason this one doesn’t. Maybe it has to do with the fact that this room has lights that can only change level, not temperature or colour.
Whenever I set a rule that uses Autolevel as the level to set the lights, the room gets stuck and isn’t able to change modes from Vacant to Engaged/Occupied. I tried changing every possible setting on AutoLevel and it still gets stuck.
On the Live Logging in the IDE there is an error every time it tries to change mode and fails:

9ec3c04d-5429-4c10-af22-86e6f49b08cc 09:33:39: error org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.typehandling.GroovyCastException: Cannot cast object ‘null’ with class ‘null’ to class ‘int’. Try ‘java.lang.Integer’ instead @line 4253 (calculateLevelOrKelvin)

Changing the rule to setting the level manually (say, 100%) works normally.

I’m happy to troubleshoot in the code if you tell me what to change.

Thank you very much

edit:
Turning on every toggle in the AutoLevel settings fixed it. Maybe it’s some configuration parameters missing if you don’t fill it all?

Hey @bangali, sorry to ask but any chance you could release your new version that relies less on timers, even if only as a beta?
Thank you so much!

1 Like

If lights are manually turned on via another method, the app doesn’t seem to be turning these lights off again when the mode changes back to vacant. I have even set a rule for vacant to turn lights off. Is it remembering the last state somehow?

I digress … I went and got some I blinds, is there a way I can handle them thru Rooms Manager ?

@bangali, I hope you can help me explain how this all works. Let’s take “occupancy”. If I walk into a room and a sensor trips and changes to “action” I see that the room state goes to “occupied” as expected. If I have a timeout of 60 seconds in RoomOccupancy, when does the time start counting down? If I keep moving around will it start counting down from 60 when my Active status changes to NonActive? If I move again will it reset the counter?

In the room devices screen, one of the settings is which motion event to use for the timeout (last active / last inactive).

So if I use “last inactive” as my event timeout, will the SmartApp re-initiate the countdown each time there is a new timeout? Are there recommendations for what to set this too? Why would I use one or the other? What are typical settings? Thanks for the help!

Can you make the sleep sensor work with a presence sensor? We have a sleep number bed and I’d like to integrate it into rooms manager.

I am really struggling here and could use any insight that people can offer into how this all works. Let’s say I have a room with one light and one motion sensor. Is this what happens?

Room settings:

• OCCUPIED TIMEOUT = 300 seconds
  • ENGAGED TIMEOUT = 1800 seconds
  • CHECKING = 480 seconds

Someone walks in, stays 1 minute and walks out:

• Room is vacant initially so Occupancy is “vacant”
  • Someone walks into the room so the Occupancy is “occupied” - internal 300 second timer starts
  • Person moves around for a few seconds then leaves - motion sensor detects motion but does not affect internal timer
  • Internal timer counts down to 0 and then room Occupancy moves to “checking” - internal 480 sec timer starts
  • Internal timer counts down to 0 and then moves Occupancy to “vacant”

Someone walks in to room, stays 15 minutes and walks out:

• Room is vacant initially so Occupancy is “vacant”
  • Person walks into the room so the Occupancy is “occupied” - internal 300 second timer starts
  • Person moves around, repeatedly triggering motion sensor so Occupancy goes to “engaged” - internal 1800 seconds timer starts
  • Person continues to move around
  • Internal timer counts down to 0 and then room Occupancy moves to “checking” - internal 480 sec timer starts.
  • Person moves during “checking” status and this resets the Occupancy to “Engaged” and starts internal time for 1800 seconds
  • Person leaves
  • Internal timer counts down to 0 and then moves Occupancy to “vacant”

Is this correct?

I just updated Room Manager from a really old version and now I’m stuck. Can’t deinstall or remove anything and can’t save anything in the smart app as anything I do says “an error has occurred”

Any guidance on how to recover - or erase and start again would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

@bangali what type of device can i use as a sleep sensor?

Hey there, sorry to say but bangali hasn’t been active on the forums for a long while.

Just to give you my personal experience with the app at this point,with SmartThings cloud in its current state:
I spent weeks tweaking my setup with rooms manager, but the problem is that it relies a lot on timers, and sometimes the hub just misses them. So what happened very often for me was that rooms would be stuck in states, especially checking, for a long time, until I manually changed its status.
I also love the idea of this app, but I don’t think it’s worth it at this point to invest in setting up unless we bangali helps us with the version that doesn’t use timers as much.
But again, feel free to test it.

Cheers

I have it already set up and have been using it successfully for quite some time now. However, we just bought a sleepnumber bed and I would like to use the sensor in the sleepnumber bed as sleep sensor. If “presence in bed” then “asleep”. Cant figure out which sleep sensor are working with rooms manager. Any ideas?

Any that you can present as a switch. I use the Withings ones but I don’t have them directly integrated, instead I just set the state of a virtual switch that represents the sleep sensor using IFTTT. On when you’re in bed and off when not. The Rooms Manager app, can use a virtual switch as a trigger for sleep mode.

1 Like

Are you using “Sleep sensor to set room ASLEEP” or “Button to toggle ASLEEP”?