[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

Hi

Well, a bit of an update. I did run the test but it was on a newly created room (as I had deleted the original room). The interesting thing is the while triggering motion from the motion sensor, all I was getting in the IDE logging for the Yeelights was the brightness level being set. The power on or off was missing.

I decided to try making a change to remove the brightness setting and just have an on/off action occur. It is at this point that I finally read the warning/notification on the main page of the smartapp to name the room first and then save it and then begin to edit/modify the settings. I was not doing that previously. So this time around I followed the instructions and the Yeelights are now correctly turning on and off from the motion events. Sorry for the confusion; I should have read the instructions but I am one of those people that skips the manual and tries to figure stuff out on the fly!

Thanks again for the feedback.

Toby

@bangali having a bit of trouble with the latest updateā€¦

So far in two of the rooms, the ros are not showing or responding to configured settings. In one room. The Office itā€™s not showing the proper state of the room contact sensor or responding to motion. In another its not responding to or properly showing the state of my asleep switches and it is not responding properly.

Iā€™m not seeing any error in the logs and Iā€™ve gone through both rooms and re-saved themā€¦ How do you want to start. Pick one room?

I have seen similar issues, but it has been sporadic and i havenā€™t had time to look into it too much. I did noticed a few logs about execution taking too long that i figured might be cloud issues.

1 Like

Mine started immediately after moving to the latest rooms code and has consistent behaviorā€¦ Unfortunately.

My apologies @bangali for not replying sooner, I did update the rooms child app back in January and I still see the same. I have the code synced with the repo so I am able to pull down when an update is there. Generally works well, just cannot do anything to change those ā€œasleepā€ settings, Unless I delete and start over.

@bangali

How do I uninstall Rooms Manager? Getting an error both in the classic app and IDE when trying to remove this smartapp - says one or more user has it installed.

ItĀ“s not that I donĀ“t like the app, I simply need to clean up my setup to figure out a problem I am having so I am in the process of stripping down so I can isolate the problem.

Is it possible to use the DTH without any of the logic for switching states? I love having a single dashboard for all the devices in a room and I love the different states, but Iā€™d like to work on my own logic for controlling occupied vs. vacant in webCoRE and I donā€™t want the built-in logic to get in the way.

Not really

To get the nice dashboard look you have to identify the devices in the correct places (occupied, engaged, asleep, etc.)

But when you do that guess what. The automation starts working based on those same devicesā€¦

I do a hybrid. I let the app do what it does best and then use WebCoRE to override it when I have something g specific I want it to do.

For instance if my wife comes in the master bedroom and hits the light switch on. If the room isnā€™t already in engaged, occupied or locked I put the room in occupied state and let it take over what would normally happen from there.

I seem to be having a few problems with my setup and wonder if anyone can help. I really love this Smartapp that Bangali has created, but I just canā€™t seem to get it working reliably. I have a Smartthings Hub V3 and I am using the Classic App, as opposed to the new App. Donā€™t know if this has any significance in the problems iā€™m experiencing, but anywayā€¦? I did have this running on my V2, but again unreliably and had to revert to automation using Webcore.

Anyway, the problem Iā€™m experiencing currently is that randomly a room will get stuck in an Occupied state. When viewing the room status in the classic app I see that occasionally the timers will freeze thus stopping it from getting to a checking state. Other times it will work perfectly. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

I also see this on occasion. I suspect the cloud sometimes has problems and misses the scheduled events.

Itā€™s really frustrating, because itā€™s no fault of the Smart App. Just when you think every things running like a dream a light stays on!

Am I right in thinking that running this program in Hubitat would mean that the code would be run locally rather than in the cloud? This would therefore be more reliable.

@nathancu @TonyFleisher @Stacy_Butera and everyone else ā€¦ sorry ā€¦ been traveling a bunch for the last couple of months and after having upgraded my home mac to mojave. which means i have have had no access to my home laptop while remote with the loss of back to my mac feature in the new OS and have been rarely home long enough to debug, fix and release anything.

its been a little frustrating for me. i just setup a remote access for my home laptop ā€¦ traveling again this week so will test that remote access works.

if you are still having any issues with rooms please create a new post on this thread. i am back in town late wednesday and promise to work on any needed fixes thursday thru the weekend.

sorry again guys.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work on this!

I had just installed a few motion and light sensors in my house and the idea of automating the lights with them was mind boggling. I hadnā€™t considered the idea of rooms occupancy. Well it took just a couple of days of trial and error and tweaking with Rooms Manager but I think Iā€™ve got it all set now and itā€™s easy to make minor adjustments from here.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

@bangali no worries man - mine turned out to be an ID10T errorā€¦ :slight_smile:

TL;DR: I am sometimes and idiot, and retrying the code update process when Iā€™m not tired is a good thing.

1 Like

if like me you were depending on WU for outdoor lux value for use with rooms manager heres my replacement i had built for HE. the lux value is calculated but pretty robust even if i say so myself :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was getting an error trying to save the final page of settings in Rooms Manager.

So I had just replaced all my presence sensors with a better smart app and DTH (for life 360 connect) and went through the process of updating all my integrations. Well apparently it also caused this little error! Figured I would let you know in case there is an easy fix for this. I had turned off the color announce settings a while ago but apparently the old presence devices were still saved in there some how I guess? Not sure exactly but when I enabled my color announce settings again, added the new presence devices, and then turned it back off the error disappeared and I was able to save the smart app settings.

1 Like

My installation is totally foobar I cannot remove rooms or remove the smart app. How do you go about removing rooms manager? The app wonā€™t let me delete all settings and save just get unexpected error nothing in IDE logs. Try to remove from Smart apps in IDE get message in use by at least one user etc similar if try to remove device.

Really need to reset this app.

All help great fully recieved.

Any ideas this is really messing with the lighting in my house?

thanks for letting me know ā€¦ checking to see if i can figure out what could be happening.

EDIT: think it was happening because when the new presence sensors were added the old look for personā€™s color was no longer working and it was operating on an empty color string causing the error. think the check that i have added should cause the error to not show anymore.

1 Like

sorry ā€¦ been traveling a lot. please try deleting it from the IDE? remove the rooms occupancy devices first then remove the rooms and the app?

1 Like