[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

Hi Glen,

My understanding is that setting your sensors as outside sensors may cause them to behave as you are describing.  I don't have any sensors set this way, so I am not speaking from experience.

Thanks,

Erik

1 Like

Erik, that is it! Prompt should be “… on outside door or window”.
Thanks. It works correctly now.

3 Likes

Hello,

I’ve been using your smartapp for the past 4 days. Things have been much better in regards to keeping the lights on when someone is in the room. WAF approval going well. However, I’ve noticed so oddness when using the asleep settings. I noticed this yesterday, I setup sleep settings and when I went back to edit them, I get a message saying ‘Something’s Wrong, we can’t load your page’

-I checked that I had the most recent device handler and app and I do.
-I deleted the rules for that room and re-set them up and still got the same after setting up asleep settings.

The room will turn the lights off at my specified time, but I never see it in ‘asleep mode’ and cannot edit settings.

One other request - I have an office that also doubles as a bedroom when my step-son is at the house, I’d love to be able to choose what days to turn off the lights early for his bedtime. I noticed days can be set to Monday-Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and then individual day selection, but only one can be chosen. I’d love to have the ability to choose say Monday, Tuesday, Saturday, Sunday <-- as an example.

Otherwise, your app has made controlling the lights when someone is in the room much easier.

1 Like

create a rule with room state vacant?

i made a sneaky update earlier which did not update the code version but the code was changed. please update the code for rooms child app try … if it does not work still will dig.

never delete a room. 99.9% of the time deleting and recreating a room will not fix these issues and will require a code update to fix. after code update just open the room settings and save again and if the code fix is right it will resolve the issue.

will take a look.

It would be if Room D is vacant and if (Room A or Room B or Room C was occupied or engaged) where rooms A B and C are all adjacent. I get the room state vacant part but what about the Rooms A … C part?

@Erik_Lundby that will teach me to read the entire sentence. :blush:

cant do exactly what you are asking. may be i should add support for any attribute check in rules. :slight_smile:

may be try using adjacent rooms feature which can turn on lights in adjacent rooms when there is motion in the selected room?

if that doesnt work go with wC for now.

Could you use the adjacent room as a (Check If Switches Are On?)?

I guess you would need a rule for each adjacent room if that worked?

If Occupied or Engaged Turn On Main Light
If Vacant And Room A is ON … Turn on Accent Lights, Turn Off Main Lights
If Vacant and Room B is on … Turn On Accent Lights, Turn Off Main Lights
If Vacant and Room C is on … Torn On Accent Lights, Turn Off Main Lights
If Vacant and Check Switches Are Off ( Room A, Room B , Room C) Turn off Main Light And Accent Lights.

that might be worth a try.

have you tried the adjacent room settings already and what’s there doesn’t work for the use case you have in mind?

Hello

I have pulled the update from the repo. Still the same error when trying to update the asleep settings. I also noticed that the room didn’t come out of asleep until I went into the app and bak out again. I have a rule setup to put the room into vacant at 7:15am.

Cool! This is good to know.

Thank you for taking a look at the ability to choose days. That would be extremely helpful and something that would help me accomplish having less rules in my setup.

Update:

I see this in my live logging: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Execution time exceeded 20 app execution seconds: 930326228888240 @line -1 (doCall)

that error usually happens when the ST cloud is under load.

if that error is happening when trying to save the room settings please retry the save.

if it’s happening during normal runtime please see if you can deduce when in that process it’s happening and if it’s happening consistently.

Thank you for that information.

I tried it , but I am missing how to do what I want. Think of an open floor plan with several connected rooms. If my son is studying in the breakfast nook, and my daughter at the dining room table, It feels much better with the accent lights on in the kitchen ( under cabinate, and one of the overhead bulbs at low level). Then if either of them move into the kitchen, the actual kitchen lighting will com on with the other overhead bulbs come on and the brightness raises.

The accent lighting provides just enough light to define the space so it doesn’t feel like you are sitting in a cave. It feels and looks a lot better.

Do you want to keep the accent lights on when they go into the kitchen?

In one case yes, In another no. The adjacent Rooms setting seems more about prepping the lights in the next room when you are moving through rooms. This is more about treating the adjacent rooms as part of a larger lighting scene. Almost like zones in a larger room. For now I created a Webcore Piston To Set a whole bunch of Virtual Switches as follows

Then I start creating Light Rules like

It seems to work quite well and am really enjoying the ease of maintaining all the light settings in the rooms manager app. Thank You @bangali for your work on this app. It does add the complexity of a virtual switch per room I want to use this setup on and maintaining the adjacency configuration additionally in a WebCore Piston.

1 Like

Can you please provide an example of a rule that incorporates lux?

heres an example for my upstairs landing:

updated to github with the following changes:

Version: 0.99.4

DONE:   1/05/2018

1) added support for multiple power meters
2) added command optimization at the app level
3) added setting room occupancy device on / off so it can be used in the rules
4) other small fixes

@Erik_Lundby this version should set the room occupancy device “switch” to on when room state is occupied, engaged or asleep and off for all other states. see if you can specify those in the check on switches as part of the rules for the room lights you want to keep on even when the room itself is vacant but adjacent rooms are occupied or engaged.

@Stacy_Butera it should now support picking days of the week individually.

1 Like

@bangali is the switch on in asleep state always, or is it only when night switches come on?

1 Like