[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

except for the first one the app already does the rest.

What is the role of those window sensors in your app?

currently the window sensors are only used for:

1. check if any is open when turning on thermostat
  2. window opened and closed announcements

it would be fairly easy to extend it to support room occupied with window open.

Thanks for being a sport and answering my questions. Itā€™s helping me as I work through the logic of how you designed it to function.

Iā€™m seeing that I can lose my virtual contact sensors that I built in Webcore. Currently I have, for example, a single ā€œLR Windowsā€ simulated sensor that is actually comprised of the three Iris living room window sensors. At this point I could disable that piston, because youā€™ve duplicated that function. I could instead pull that status from your app and assign it to a simulated switch, and then have your app see that switch as an indicator of occupancy or engagement.

sure thing.

ehh ā€¦ too much work. i would just add support for any window being open as a trigger for setting the room to occupied and that would do it. :slight_smile:

EDIT: thinking about it some more one thing would happen even if the window is open and there is an occupied timeout set the room would change to vacant even when the window is open. is that what you would expect?

you can off course override this behavior by not setting a timeout for occupied state.

@bangali

On Nov11 you wrote that you created separated app as Rooms Vacation code.
Iā€™m having serious trouble with locating this. Can you please provide some info/link/something what would lead me to the code and where should it go, etc.

Iā€™m guessing I should create a new app ā€œfrom codeā€. Only the child code or the main code is needed too?

Thanks

do you have github connected to ST IDE? that is the simplest way to install. once connected for a github install from repo in ST use : owner: adey / name: bangali / branch: master. install and publish the rooms occupancy DTH then install and publish the rooms manager, rooms child app, rooms child settings and rooms vacation smartapps.

the code is off course all available here:

@bangali Apologies for the delayā€¦the xmas cold virus took over the household :frowning:

yes it should do that when I have the turn off everything when no rule is set :-)ā€¦with all my different sets of testing i forgot that was onā€¦so that rule is working 100% correct.

With my testing and new found knowledge with tweaks to my configuration, dancing lights are no more :slight_smile:

To all who helped and provided guidance thank you.

@bangali as the new year dawns this side of the pond and the old moves on, I just want to take this opportunity to thank you for this app and guidance and I wish you and yours a great new year.

1 Like

thank you for being an awesome user ā€¦ the app wouldnt exist without users like you.

thank you. wishing you and yours a happy and prosperous new year!

1 Like

I put my collective simulated contact sensors for room windows into the rooms,
Does the job.

1 Like

did you still need open window as an setting for occupied state?

Wellā€¦ I donā€™t need it at this point.
If you want to add it, that might be an interesting thing.

Iā€™m liking this app. I have another question:
Is it possible to utilize more than one power meter as an indicator for engagement? For example, in my basement I have four smart plugs. Any or all of the smart plugs might be on and providing power when someoneā€™s down there.

ok

good to hear.

does it only accept one power meter? if so probably can change that to multiple and use the max value of power between them for rules and such.

bangali,

Thank you for the info. I added everything trough the GitHub

I believe Iā€™m smart enough to work out your application and figure out every aspect of it however I have a problem with the basic idea of it.

Right now I just need basic vacation mode system / interface and I had a completely different imagination of it. Your system seems to be quite advanced and with many possibilities for the expantion and from what I understood so far is to create a rules based on an ā€œoccupationā€ mode so it does require in first steps a motion sensors, etc.

Please correct me if Iā€™m wrong but my imagination of VACATION APP is something extremely simple like :

• create rooms
  • set walk patherns between rooms to imitate a real occupation of the house
  • set what time it starts and what time stops
  • what switches are involved to be turn on/off and what level (dining)

I may be missing something but your application has nothing related to it and it complicates everything.

For just my needs to create a simulation of an occupied house it is way easier and simpler to just use basic Smart Lightning and set it in advanced way but it will be way easier.

Am I missing something? Going a wrong way?

Thanks

the vacation app works exactly as you described it should with one additional detail - it works in coordination with the rest of the components for rooms. hereā€™s a breakdown of how:

• create rooms
  1. this is a foundational part of the app in that you setup rooms and within each room add the various connected devices for the room and the rules that control when lights/switches go on and off. once this is setup as the app runs over the next week it collects when these rooms change state. as the rooms change state that also means lights/switches also go on/off based on the rules setup for each room.
  • set walk patherns between rooms to imitate a real occupation of the house
  1. this information is already collected from normal daily use of the rooms that were setup in 1. above.
  • set what time it starts and what time stops
  1. this information is already collected from normal daily use of the rooms that were setup in 1. above.
  • what switches are involved to be turn on/off and what level (dining)
  1. this information is inferred by the app from the room state already collected in 1. above and the rules that were defined for each room in 1. above.

then when turning on vacation mode in the app you have the option of replaying these room state changes as is or with some randomization and select which rooms should be put in vacation mode.

once vacation mode is turned on assuming the replay option was selected the selected room state will be replayed and every time state changes for a room the rules for the room will be evaluated and cause lights/switches to go on as if you are in the house. then lights/switches will be turned off when room state changes to vacant based on the state replay.

happy to address other questions and/or discuss any changes you would recommend.

thank you for sharing the feedback.

Thanks for clarifying it. Now I understand my problem :slight_smile:
I usually try to figure this stuff out during vacation when Iā€™m away and have time.

I will have to work on this once Iā€™m back and some data could be collected.

1 Like

with vacation manager you all seem to wait till the day before vacation or while you are on vacation to turn on vacation mode and expect it work from there. not a totally unreasonable expectation and no @crazydive you are not the only one. :slight_smile:

only that this first version of vacation manager was designed to collect state change data from daily use in advance of the vacation and use that to replay room state to turn on/off lights accordingly. so setting it up for the first time the day before or while on vacation will unfortunately not work for now because there is not sufficient room state data stored to simulate occupancy.

i am going to add an option to manually enter data from settings for rooms state change likely in this format:

room state day(s) of week time
room name occupied || engaged || asleep Sun to Sat || Mon to Fri || Sat and Sun hh:mm

once this new feature is released you will be able to enter this data and immediately turn on vacation mode to simulate occupancy from there.

till then if you have not already setup vacation manager to collect room state data for a few rooms and you are either leaving for vacation tomorrow or already on vacation ā€¦ setup a few smart lighting rules to kind of simulate occupancy? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,
I tried to use your project but something happens that I have lots of apps (I did nothing it just appeared). Now want to delete this apps but itā€™s impossible. Do you have any idea what to do?

ā€œThis SmartApp canā€™t be deleted at this time because it is installed by one or more usersā€ - this info appears when I try to delete app

Edit: Hello again, I really need your help because I have 20 rooms now and I cant delete your application!!!

Hi. When I go to the Spoken Announcement Settings I receive an error that something is wrong. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the app. The first time I went in the spoken announcement settings it started to work but then gave me an error saying it couldnā€™t refresh the page. Now Iā€™m getting the Somethingā€™s Wrong Error again. Have any ideas as to whatā€™s wrong? Thanks

I am having multiple issues with this app that I canā€™t seem to resolve.

The first is that the "checking state seems to be missed almost every time. Iā€™m using zooz motion sensors that are set to ā€œcheckā€ every 30 seconds, but I canā€™t seem to get things working right. The room will be set to ā€œengagedā€, but then skip straight to vacant.

My second problem is that I have another room where I want to dim the lights to 10% when the roku tv comes on. The desired state is to lock the room to that 10%, but thatā€™s not happening, the lights instead ā€œflickerā€ on and off over time.

Lastly, how do I incorporate lux into the light levels?