[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

@tgauchat

on this … one thing i remembered is the DTH also exposes 9 buttons each of which corresponds to a room state. is there any way in actiontiles to show these 9 buttons for the rooms occupancy device on the dashboard and push the corresponding button when user wants to set a particular state?

thank you.

The short term workaround for a 9 multiple-Button device is to create 9 individual “Momentary” Devices and use a SmartApp (WebCoRE or custom) to have them issue commands to the real Device.

thanks for all the great info!

on classic ST the button capability supports a numberOfButtons attribute … for example:

all button devices seem to support this attribute. could this be leveraged for now?

I wish I could dig up my standard answer on this because it would save me a lot of typing:

• A Button (or set of Buttons) is a SENSOR, not an ACTUATOR.

i.e., a Button has NO COMMANDS!!! :confounded:

Sorry for the shouting but this one gets me worked up to no end.

A SmartApp cannot “press a button” (more accurately: cannot “make a button feel like it is being pressed”) anymore than a SmartApp can “make a motion detector sense that something is moving”.

Conversely and ironically, a device of Capability “Momentary” is an Actuator (but not a Sensor). It has a single Command “push()” and no Attributes.

A SmartApp can issue Commands and read Attributes. A SmartApp cannot directly set Attributes, so it must use Commands. A Button has no Commands.

For ActionTiles to support “Button”, ActionTiles would have to be a Device not just a SmartApp.
(And BTW: This is something we are considering.)

well thats so obviously smart … why would a button device ever need a push(buttonNumber) command?!? :wink:

good to hear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had to delete the room since the WAF was not on my side.

understood. setup another room with same settings but using virtual devices and we will get it figured out so you get some brownie points with her? :slight_smile:

All this time I been a part of the community I was like “what the expletive is a WAF”, but was too proud to ask… it just popped in with your response…

2 Likes

:rofl:

dang it … cant get it off my mind … what are those towers supposed to be?

1 Like

Speakers! Surround Sound.

2 Likes

I have a office test setup let me know what you would like me to do.

cool. lets do the following:

• check the settings for the room to confirm turn off all switches when no rules match in general settings is off
  • then use virtual motion sensor to trigger the same as would have been triggered in the real office

let’s see if the lights turn off.

basically simulate the same as would have in the real office.

Hello,
So I’ve tried these yesterday but I originally set this up for Red,Green,White, but then wanted to go and remove White and leave it as Red,Green and got a message that I need to change something, so not sure if there is a minimum character limit for the colors field.

Also, wanted to know if there was a way to specify which bulb starts which color.

I have 4 bulbs outside and the way it was going yesterday was Red Green Green Red (not including white for the sake of the example), But I would want it to go as Red, Green, Red, Green, and then transition to Green, Red, Green, Red, so that all 4 bulbs have the opposite color in the order of the bulb selection.

Hope this makes sense.

Make sure you use rotate and not twinkle for starters.

I’m on a phone currently, but will check me config later, just make sure that you have a comma between the colour names, also if you could screen grab the light settings and the overall settings of the room and post, that would help us to assist further.

1 Like

@elitef what @KellyDarren said … also from view all settings page set the switch for show only settings with value and share screen shots of the settings please.

I’m noticing a bug that the smart apps doesn’t always turn off switches that were turned on by rule . My example

Rule 1. When Vacant set recessed lights to 20% over 1000LUX
Rule 2. When engaged set recessed lighting to 80% candle on over 1000LUX

Set turn off when no rule match
Set execute rule only on state change except for vacant.

What happens is when room goes vacant lights go to 20 % but candle stays on

If i disable the vacant rule or Lux is over 1000 candle will turn off else it stays on. Now that I write all of this I guess I can add turn off candle to the vacant rule but I would think it would go off

just starting with this do i need the

• smartapps/bangali/rooms-vacation.src/rooms-vacation.groovy
    &
    smartapps/bangali/rooms-child-settings.src/rooms-child-settings.groovy

thanks

You need the child rooms. The vacation one is optional.

Hey thank you so much for creating this. Discovering this smartapp has greatly increased the usability of my motion controlled lighting, and I can’t thank you enough.

I have a couple of questions/issues that I’m hoping to resolve. First, it doesn’t seem as though the “Checking” state is working as described. During the checking stage, the lights are actually turning off. I’m not sure if it’s the timing or if I’m not understanding this properly.

Lastly, I’m also having issues with asleep state. I have 2 whitings bed sensors that I integrated via IFTTT and a virtual switch. I would like to create a rule that says if after 10PM, my wife’s sensor turns on, then set the room to asleep until it’s X time, and the sensor turns to off. Is this something I would create in the rules setting, or should this be done in webcore?

1 Like

so what happens is if there is a rule with vacant state the setting for turn off when no rule match is ignored with the assumption that user wants to also handle the vacant state.

create another vacant rule which turns on no switches but turns off the candle and that should do it.

i should probably disable the turn off when no rule match flag when there is a vacant rule.