[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

@bangali I know you may not be personally using/testing echo speaks but can you take a log at this log entry that happens when announcing presence:

c1755d3a-7a99-4053-8b3b-965336e29e0d 4:50:36 PM: error java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Command ‘playTrackAndResume’ is not supported by device bebb2ba6-7f53-474a-b79e-0885bdc1ed85 of type ‘Echo Speaks Device’. Supported commands: [refresh, play, pause, stop, nextTrack, playTrack, setLevel, mute, previousTrack, unmute, setTrack, resumeTrack, restoreTrack, speak, deviceNotification, setVolume, volumeUp, volumeDown, setMute, mute, unmute, sendTestTts, doNotDisturbOn, doNotDisturbOff, resetQueue, replayText, setVolumeAndSpeak, playWeather, playSingASong, playFlashBrief, playGoodMorning, playTraffic, playTellStory, searchMusic, setAlarmVolume, searchAmazonMusic, searchPandora, searchIheart, searchSpotify, searchTuneIn, createAlarm, createReminder, removeNotification, setWakeWord] @line 835 (speakIt)

Maybe you can trap for echo’s and and issue an acceptable command.

can you Set the echo speaks device as speech device instead of media player and see if that resolves this?

likely wont work because both of them currently use play text and {resume || restore}. that was a convenience thing i had done so the music playing resumed after an announcement.

i am changing them to speak. will try to get the players to resume after the announcement … hopefully this last part works. will release this weekend.

If you use easy mode it makes you select a switch. It seems that you cant save without selecting one. The issue is that if it is time to sleep (bedroom) the light will keep coming on. I am using a motion sensor (close to my bed) and the light switch. Is there a setting for sleep mode in easy settings?

@cchilds1976 Did you ever ask Terry how to get states into Actiontiles?

no, I didn’t. Did you figure out something?

Nah. But Actiontiles would work perfect with this SApp. @tgauchat is the functionality to get room states on the AT side or Room Manager?

I don’t understand the question…?

SmartThings doesn’t have a Capability “room state” (?). ActionTiles provides compatibility with a growing subset of SmartThings Capabilities.

When you bring in a room from this app as a thing it is only on and off. However in the actual app you have different occupancy states. The request is to expose those states to toggle on and off via Actiontiles.

ActionTiles currently only supports the Attribute States defined in the published SmartThings standard Capabilities.

To control non-compliant “things”, Virtual Switches, etc., are often a feasible solution.

It’s worth noting that the new SmartThings device API no longer permits ad hoc Attributes and/or Commands. Everything must conform to one or more Capability specifications.

thanks for the heads-up. this is likely not going to go well for ST … but we will see. :slight_smile:

to users: when that happens i will change the rooms occupancy DTH to be a 9 button device with each button representing an occupancy state. this is already built in to the DTH today but because custom attributes is supported I dont use this as the primary.

when custom attributes is no longer supported the buttons will be the primary and custom attributes will sadly be retired. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There will be a method to request a new Capability from SmartThings and perhaps in the first few months they may be enthusiastic about testing the process with creative ideas like this.

Build a following and enthusiasm and… temper your expectations and have contingency plans, but also enjoy the possibility of being trail blazers!

cool. likely the first few months will also be the time when all is gloriously broken :wink:

started with contingency plans … possible trail blazing to follow. :grin:

2 Likes

in rooms anyone using these 2 features:

1. use music player playing to set room to engaged?
  1. set window shade position using rules?

if not … I am thinking of deprecating these.

thank you.

1 Like

I was thinking of doing some automated window shading but then I thought to myself , when is HA to much HA? Pretty soon it will be like the movie “The Surrogate” with Bruce Willis in my house.

At the very least I can at least open my own blinds…

1 Like

and if you do go automated shades there is still the option for any device any command from the rules.

1 Like

Heathen! Thou shalt not manipulate thy own device!

Heresy, I say!

:joy:

No really - it’s not too much. I have an entire WebCoRE piston just for handling the bank of blinds in my dining room and how they get set depending on occupancy, time of day and the state of the lights. I don’t think I’ve touched them in months. They just work.

1 Like

heres another feature that i dont think anyone is using. so going to deprecate this unless i hear back otherwise. :slight_smile:

rooms occupancy device lets you setup an alarm for the room and play from a selection of sounds at alarm time with the rooms music player.

if you are using this feature please ping back here.

thank you.

1 Like

@bangali

1. Hi, I have a problem viewing the room status in the new Smartthings App. Are there any plans to support that?

2. Is there any easy way to temporarily disable the app, because I’m beta testing the room manager and I’m building the rules slowly room by room and checking what works for my needs. But at the same time I’m using SmartLighting up to now (which I disable in the new Smartthings app while I’m testing RoomManager) so I want to be able to switch between those while I do the testing so I don’t have to remove all the settings everytime.

1. havent tried the new app because all reports i had seen previously were the app had issues. couple of question:
    – does downloading and activating the new app disable use of the old app. if thats the case since most users are on the old app it will be hard for me move over and test the new app.
    – if not … what is the issue?

2. havent tried the new app so not quite sure what can and cannot be done with it.