[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

I’m using your device driver “Rooms Occupancy” and I’m in the screen for

Room Button: Room Button Settings: Living Room: Button Number

ahh. because the rooms occupancy device reflects the status of that same room as a device … that will not work as desired.

what are you looking to do by using the button there?

EDIT: to be clear i still need to fix whatever is causing those empty names … but the above still holds.

It would be a good idea to have a buttons tutorial. I was under the understanding that buttons can be used to toggle modes manually but there isn’t a lot of information on how to set them up. Great app so far.

1 Like

yes … i will add something to the main post on it. btw … have you already checked out the main post in this thread and that does not help with the button issue?

thank you.

if you update the rooms child app code from github and give it a try the button names should be fixed.

Sorry my buttons selection still looks like above. I republished the device handler and both apps. I have two rooms, Living Room and Master Bedroom. Clicking into “Living Room” and selecting “Room Devices”, “Room Button Settings” under “Button?” I have two choices, living room and master bedroom, my two rooms. Selecting “Living Room”, “Button Number?” with the pictures shared before, nine radio buttons that I can select with no description to the left. Selecting one the Button Number? remains @ “Type to set” Everything else works find. I also noticed in my living room device “Recently” tab, I see a lot of alarm messages but I didn’t set any alarm rule or can find out where to clear alarm settings.

Wait Wait Wait… :blush: Do I have to have a button device to define a button against?

so it does not look like this after updating the rooms child app?

from ST app go to My Home then Living Room device then click the gear icon on top right for settings then check the alarm settings.

yes … you kind of do. :smile:

The radial buttons are there but no descriptions to the left and when selecting one, the “Tape to Set” is still red.

ok. are you comfortable checking one of line of code from the ST IDE? no changes needed … just want to see what the line looks like.

EDIT: if you are from the ST IDE -> My Smartapps click on the rooms child app code and please share what line 82 & 83 looks like. it should look like this:

EDIT2: also please check that the new code was both saved and published.

It looks like that.

@Field final List occupancyButtons =
[[1:“occupied”],[2:“checking”],[3:“vacant”],[4:“locked”],[5:“reserved”],[6:“kaput”],[7:“donotdisturb”],[8:“asleep”],[9:“engaged”]]

Yes saved and published.

I guess I need button devices. I’m thinking that the apps creates virtual buttons I could put on my dashboard. Didn’t know it was a physical button device. What are some of the popular ones?

that looks like the old code. from github those lines should be:

and you can actually do that as in use those rooms occupancy device buttons on a dashboard. but you cant use the rooms button in the settings for that same room itself. so you may not necessarily need physical buttons.

does that make sense? please dont hesitate to ask if it doesnt.

Yes, got it. Thanks

1 Like

buttons names showing now? :slight_smile:

No they didn’t show up but an issue before that is my only choice for Buttons are the Living Room and Master Bedroom and you told me I could t use them but even selecting them, no descriptions.

this code looks like the old code … which means the rooms child app has not been updated from github:

once the rooms child app code is updated … those lines will look like this:

@Field final Map occupancyButtons = [1:"occupied",2:"checking",3:"vacant",4:"locked",5:"reserved",6:"kaput",7:"donotdisturb",8:"asleep",9:"engaged"]

please update the rooms child app code from github and those buttons should then show the right name.

right you cant use the button for the room in the settings for that same room. but you could always use the button from one rooms occupancy device in the settings for another room … makes the setup a bit more tricky to keep track of but technically it will work fine. :slight_smile:

also you should be able to use those rooms occupancy device buttons on the dashboard even now. have you tried using one of those rooms occupancy device buttons on a dashboard? the corresponding button for each state is:

1=occupied, 2=checking, 3=vacant, 4=locked, 5=reserved, 6=kaput, 7=donotdisturb, 8=asleep, 9=engaged

Forgot to Publish, it looks the same now and I now see the descriptions as advertised. I’m also successfully using the device buttons on my dashboard. Thanks for all you hard work. You will receive an early Holiday gift from me sir.

1 Like

awesome! :slight_smile:

you are welcome. thank you for your generosity.

Is there a way to make a rule run just once on state change ? Scenario , I walk into the living room, engaged sets the recessed lights to 20%, but I want to use my laptop and I need 100%. If I change the lights the rule runs again and set it back to 20%. Is my only recourse is to set the state to locked ?