[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

So, does it charnge to Occupied automatically based on the motion sensor?

yes it does.

EDIT: just for completeness while the room state will change to occupied with motion … for lights to turn on which lights should turn on needs to be defined in the rules. you can do more with the rules but thats a minimum needed.

Thanks for all the work done on this app, it is exactly what I’ve been looking for. The one setting I don’t really understand though is the presence sensors. I have 2 phone based presence sensors and some virtual ones with webcore controls. I don’t quite understand how to use them at a room based level? I could understand having them at a house level or rule level but I don’t quite understand how rooms and presence sensors come together.

I would find it very useful to have presence built into the rules, i.e. I have a home office, if I am present I want the sockets to turn on for my PC when I occupy the room but if my husband is home during a working day and I am away then he only needs the lights.

1 Like

you are welcome.

so heres how presence sensors are used today:

• within rooms: to allow setting a room to engaged when a presence sensor is present. you can use this to:
    – set a room to engaged and vacant respectively when someone arrives or departs (like a kids room)
    – set a room to engaged with motion instead of occupied for longer timeouts (like a home office)
  • within rooms manager: to make arrival and departure announcements.

it would be reasonably easy to add presence check to rules … i will take a look.

is this working fine now?

and is the new vents delayed off working ok?

Still having trouble with this Room. I am sitting in the room in front of one of the motion sensors and the lights will still go off. Or we are watching TV and in front of a motion sensor and the lights will go off. I can’t figure out how else to keep the lights on when we are in the room. Also, if we dim the lights or dim and change colours, when the lights go off and then we wave our hands at the motion sensor and they come back on, they are back to the original brightness and colour. Any suggestions what to fix to make this work?

with motion sensors if you are simply sitting and watching TV the chances are good that they will not sense any motion. so thats probably at the root of the room not staying engaged when you are sitting and watching TV.

may be we could use 2 different rules. one for occupied and the other for engaged?

• create another rule with the same settings as the existing rule
  • in one rule change the state to be only occupied
  • in the other rule change the state to be only engaged. in this rule also set the color of the lights as you like them when watching TV
  • in engaged settings:
    – change busy check to off and turn off busy with motion
    – change power stays below to 120 seconds.
    – change motion required to 900 seconds.

then give it a try. :slight_smile:

EDIT: when the TV is on does the power draw consistently stay above 20 watts or does it fluctuate above and below?

Repo doesn’t work.

Oh No! Something Went Wrong!

Error

500: Internal Server Error

URI

/ide/app/doRepoUpdates

Reference Id

1664d08f-b691-4f87-bb9a-d6b53329994a

Date

Thu Sep 13 14:17:54 UTC 2018

© 2018 SmartThings, Inc. All rights reserved

just updated from repo myself … everything seems to be fine.

may have been a temporary connectivity issues between ST and github?

When the TV is on it is much higher than 20 Watts. It might fluctuate a bit but I doesn’t go below 20. I put this in because the motion sensor alone wasn’t working for watching TV. However, we don’t always want to dim the lights and change the colour when we are watching TV. We ask Alexa to dim and change the colour of the lights but then they go back to 100% white when the room resets from vacant. One problem I could see with having a rule for engaged is that what if I am at my desk doing work and I want the lights on 100% white. If there is a rule that the lights dim and change colour when engaged, won’t it do this everytime it goes into engaged?

got it. then when you create the copy of the rule leave the light color to normal and just change the rest as in the post. then give it a try.

EDIT: actually probably should just do these:

• in engaged settings:
    – change power stays below to 120 seconds.
    – change motion required to 1800 seconds.

the rest of the settings changes from earlier dont make sense if we are keeping the light color the same.

thanks.

Nope same issue

ok. what are the steps to reproduce?

thanks

Add the repo in the graph api, save, update from repo select your repo click the manager and child apps, publish , save.

searching for the error … may be this issue?

give that solution a try please.

I’m trying to understand my motion sensor blind window to increase response and accuracy of the rooms manager. I’m using Aeotec MultiSensor 6s and GE Motion Dimmer Switch 26933s.

When it says checkInterval: 3720 is that my blind window and what does that mean?

Or is it motionDelayTime 20 seconds? If so does that mean I should change my checking state timer to 40 seconds?

@bangali

Found an error trying to edit my master bedroom. Classic app, when trying to save changes to the room I ge the red banner at the top “Error Saving Page” I am on the latest repo…

I captured the following from the log from the room I was trying to save. The rooms manager main log was clear

1c412fb5-6945-4174-9fb0-a86526a9d847 ‎10‎:‎11‎:‎00‎ ‎AM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: script_app_b08ea6d768f093b1d69cfc3921b3ae1a5276250e4a0489bb5c2ca08e9f907f96.updateRoomAdjMS() is applicable for argument types: (java.util.ArrayList) values: [[]] @line 1666 (doCall)
1c412fb5-6945-4174-9fb0-a86526a9d847 ‎10‎:‎10‎:‎59‎ ‎AM: info Master Bedroom Occupancy: updated
1c412fb5-6945-4174-9fb0-a86526a9d847 ‎10‎:‎10‎:‎50‎ ‎AM: debug Master Bedroom Occupancy: switchesOnOrOff: true | false
1c412fb5-6945-4174-9fb0-a86526a9d847 ‎10‎:‎10‎:‎50‎ ‎AM: info Master Bedroom Occupancy: processRules
1c412fb5-6945-4174-9fb0-a86526a9d847 ‎10‎:‎10‎:‎50‎ ‎AM: info Master Bedroom Occupancy: switchesOnOrOff
1c412fb5-6945-4174-9fb0-a86526a9d847 ‎10‎:‎10‎:‎48‎ ‎AM: debug Master Bedroom Occupancy: switchesOnOrOff: true | false
1c412fb5-6945-4174-9fb0-a86526a9d847 ‎10‎:‎10‎:‎48‎ ‎AM: info Master Bedroom Occupancy: switchesOnOrOff
1c412fb5-6945-4174-9fb0-a86526a9d847 ‎10‎:‎10‎:‎48‎ ‎AM: info Master Bedroom Occupancy: processRules

on battery or on USB power?

1 Like

please update and try with the latest. if that still errors will check.

instructions coming …

updated to github with the following changes. REQUIRES SAVING ALL ROOMS AFTER UPDATING TO THIS VERSION. JUST OPEN EACH ROOM AND CLICK SAVE. THATS IT.

Version: 0.85.0

DONE: 8/10/2018

1. created CHANGELOG.md on github and moved out revision history from individual source files.
  2. performance optimization for various frequent functions.
  3. stopped retrieval of devices from child for battery and device connectivity check. while this works fine
    on HE on ST it can cause timeouts specially anytime the ST platform is generally stressed.
  4. updated how rules are processed due to #3 above. REQUIRES SAVING ALL ROOMS AFTER UPDATING TO THIS VERSION. JUST OPEN EACH ROOM AND CLICK SAVE. THATS IT.
  5. updated rooms to use only 1 schedule timer for time trigger in rules. previously used 2 schedule timers.
  6. cleaned up files:
    file from to % change
    ST DTH 58K 56K -3%
    HE driver 58K 14K -76%
    app rooms manager 80K 60K -25%
    app rooms child 360K 269K -25%
  7. updated humidity management to BETA.