[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

Hi Bangali,

Yes, I’d still like to have it based on the ST mode. That’s the built in mechanism for this.

I could possibly use a button. I already use a button to change ST mode to “night”, but it’s a hold, not just press, and the rooms manager doesnt have that functionality. Could you change that? The reason I want hold is that turning on the alarm, and turning off all lights downstairs is not something I just want to bump, or a kid to press.

George Castanza

ok.

press and hold in ST are just different button numbers. if you select the button number associated with hold that will work.

thanks.

Thanks for the quick response. I dont have hold in my buttons for Rooms Manager. I am using the Xiaomi buttons. The only option in there is Button 1.

Thanks though, George.

which driver are you using for it … let me check.

bspranger Xiaomi Buttons

https://github.com/bspranger/Xiaomi

i was wrong seems there is a holdable button capability separate from the button capability. will add.

if you are seeing this error in the logs:

java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Execution time exceeded 20 app execution seconds: 87907337909179 @line -1 (error)

this is currently happening for many apps not just rooms manager apps. i am finding the same error for other apps including many of my existing pistons.

so very likely there is a ST platform issue ongoing. something similar to this:

I just started using your smartapp (really cool btw, thanks!), installed all the necessary things and configured two rooms. I added a new motion sensor after configuring the second and when trying the configure the third I’m now getting “Error saving page”. The log shows the following:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method updateMotionInd() on null object @line 3189 (updateIndicators)

Any clue how to resolve this?

Let me know if I need to provide more information!

1 Like

cool … thank you. did you install the DTH as well?

Yeah! I was looking at the logs when switching from Vacant to Occupied back to Vacant (for the working rooms) and there seem to be other exceptions as well:

01:12:08: error java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Execution time exceeded 20 app execution seconds: 93871173915056 @line -1 (doCall)
01:12:08: error java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @line -1 (toUpdateSwitchInd)
01:11:43: info Gang: roomVacant
01:11:41: info smartapp_pause called by smartAppName=rooms child app, value=10, smartAppVersionId=
01:11:41: debug Gang: whichSwitchesAreOn: [Fibaro Dimmer (gang)]
01:11:41: info Gang: switches2Off
01:11:41: debug Gang: switchesOnOrOff: true | true
01:11:41: debug Gang: processRules: rules to execute: []
01:11:41: info Gang: processRules
01:11:41: info Gang: switchesOnOrOff
01:11:41: info Gang: luxEventHandler
01:11:39: error java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @line -1 (toUpdateSwitchInd)
01:11:39: error java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Execution time exceeded 20 app execution seconds: 93841854884798 @line -1 (doCall)
01:11:35: info Gang: occupiedSwitchOffEventHandler
01:11:35: info Gang: switchOffEventHandler
01:11:35: info Gang: vacantSwitchOffEventHandler
01:11:35: info Gang: processCoolHeat
01:11:35: info smartapp_pause called by smartAppName=rooms child app, value=10, smartAppVersionId=
01:11:35: debug Gang: whichSwitchesAreOn: [Fibaro Dimmer (gang)]
01:11:35: info Gang: switches2Off
01:11:35: debug Gang: Gang unschedule calling class: handle switches
01:11:35: info Gang: previousStateStack
01:11:35: info Gang: Gang room state - old: occupied new: vacant
01:11:35: info Gang: runInHandleSwitches
01:11:35: debug rooms manager: rSH initialized
01:11:33: debug Gang: switchesOnOrOff: false | true
01:11:33: info smartapp_pause called by smartAppName=rooms child app, value=10, smartAppVersionId=
01:11:33: info Gang: turnSwitchesOnAndOff
01:11:33: debug Gang: processRules: rules to execute: [1]
01:11:33: info Gang: processRules
01:11:33: info Gang: switchesOnOrOff
01:11:32: info Gang: luxEventHandler
01:11:29: debug rooms manager: rSH initialized
01:11:29: debug rooms manager: rSH initialized
01:11:29: info Gang: occupiedSwitchOnEventHandler
01:11:29: info Gang: switchOnEventHandler

Not sure if it’s related though. I’m on the latest master branch btw!

are you using this DTH?

you probably are … from the errors looks like it could be this issue:

are you seeing the Execution time exceeded 20 app execution seconds in live logging for other apps?

Yeah, using that one! Same version. Not sure if I have it with other apps, I’ll click through some of my smart apps and things to see if it triggers anything.

I’ll read up on the post, thanks!

another user reported that same error to me in a PM this am. thats when i started checking my own logs. found a bunch of the same errors in my other apps and pistons … thats when i made the post above.

once the errors go away from the other apps and if it still shows for rooms manager apps or devices i will be happy to dig in.

Ah okay! I can’t reproduce the error with other smartapps / things btw. The timeout exception also doesn’t seem related toggling states of rooms but seem to happen randomly.

I’ll try to remove and reinstall the Rooms Manager and see if that helps!

the app would have to trigger the runIn scheduling to see the error in those apps.

01:12:08: error java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @line -1 (toUpdateSwitchInd)

i checked the code on github. this method is clearly defined. its used in a runIn method and whatever the ongoing issue is its causing them to fail randomly.

so there is likely something funky going on with the platform … when those happen they dont tend to be consistent. :slight_smile:

may be try editing each of the groovy files so isDebug returns false then publish those … which should turn off most logging. see if that helps?

Interestingly enough, I removed all rooms, added them back and still failed on saving the third room :thinking:.

The last thing I changed in an existing room was configuring an adjacent room. Removing this setting gives back the ability to add new rooms :tada:.

So that feature somehow prevents me form adding new rooms (updating existing ones is fine).

thanks for pointing that out. will take a look at that.

are you still seeing the execution time exceeded or undeclared error in the log?

Last one was ~15 minutes ago which was around the time I reconfigured, so that might be the cause! I’ll keep you posted.

ok. thank you.

the undeclared errors worry me the most. those clearly should not be happening.

Ah crap, just got another exception. Around the time the exception happens it’s also not possible to add another room (the ability restores after 30 seconds or so).