[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

strange … this is very close to one of my own setups. could you please share the section for general settings also?

• what is the motion timeout for each of these motion sensors?
  • you have verified that all 3 motion sensors generate a new motion active event with each new motion?
  • when the lights are going out the mode is one of the ones selected in the rules?
  • how about the power device … did it have any load on it? if yes, was the load constantly over 20 watts or fluctuating above and below 20 watts?
  • on the latest version from github? that should not matter for this setup but if i need to replicate the setup it helps to be on the latest.

Here are the General Settings:

I don’t really know what the timeout is for the motion sensors. One is an Ecolink PIR sensor, one is an Iris motion sensor and one is the new zooz zse18(it has a very fast response time). The lights go out when the room detects it is Vacant. But it isn’t Vacant because there is still motion in the room. The power device is not being used at the time. I just did the latest update now.

in general settings set Only on state change? to false and all will work.

I will try that thanks!

1 Like

this is the rooms manager settings page from HE which works independent from the rooms themselves to support various kind of announcements and notifications with speakers, colors or even sms. and more is coming:

@kmickeletto see this post. please share your feedback on it:

updated to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.70.0
*   DONE:   8/18/2018
*	1) removed the `lock` capability which i had included for use on HE since HE does not support 'lock only' capability.
*	2) fixed send event for switch and button in rooms occupany device.
*	3) added support for multiple button devices in room button device.
*	4) added dimming lights to off over configurable number of seconds.
*   5) added sms settings with time window for when sms should be sent.
*	6) added selectable time for github update sms notification.
*   7) added sms support for low battery notification.
*   8) renamed device health check to device connectivity check so folks dont confuse it with ST device health check.
*	9) added option to not speak sunrise and sunset announcement and only do color notification.
*	10) added option in battery check to add battery devices that are not otherwise used in rooms to battery check.
*	11) on HE added support for notify my echo for spoken messages from the room but not rooms manager yet.

@stevehweb please give the multiple button option in the rooms button settings a try and see if it works ok for you.

waiting for feedback on this change both here and on HE before extending the same for all buttons.

thank you.

My speaker anounced the change in mode today? I checked but I don’t have that set.

didnt you always want to know when mode changes? :wink:

messed up. instead of:

input "speakModes", "bool", title: "Announce mode changes with speaker?", required: false, defaultValue: false

coded:

input "speakModes", "bool", title: "Announce mode changes with speaker?", required: false, multiple: true

if you go to announce mode settings and set Announce mode changes with speaker? to false does it still announce?

It is set to false, should I try setting it to true the false again?

please ………

It’s late now so can’t trigger the modes as it turns on all the lights at stuff. I have turned it on then off again so in the morning I’ll let you know if that worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

cool … thanks. sorry for the trouble.

1 Like

Pleasure to help :wink:

1 Like

Hi Bengali,

Continuing our conversation from GitHub, I was asking about using Rooms Manager to control a central thermostat and create zones for each room.

This would require some basic logic to be put into place.

1. Each room would need a vThermostat device created. I did this pretty easily by using the ST simulated thermostat and ripped out all of the simulated functions.

2. Using Webcore, I read temp settings from each room sensor and push those settings to the current temp on the local room vThermostat.

3. Using Rooms Manager, I allow each room to control the vThermostat setpoints.

4. Again using Webcore, I have a piston created that monitors the total percentage of open vents open and when the percentage is satisfied, the piston enables the central thermostat and reduces the setpoint (assuming cooling here) and runs until the percentage of vents falls below the threshold again. Once that happens, it turns the central thermostat off.

This is working fairly well, especially since I have three teenagers in the house that come and go all of the time.
I love the fact that I can have their room shutdown when they leave the house and not reactivate until they physically return to the property. It would be nice to have it bundled all in within Rooms Manager.

My current challenges at this point…

I think I need an additional room state. Currently I used engaged a bit differently than you intended. Right now I set the room to engaged if the room owner is present. When this happens, their room cools to 74 degrees. If they are in the room and triggering the motion sensor, it will drop the temp down to 72 degrees for 60 minutes. However if they leave the property, I don’t want to completely shut off all HVAC, so I have a rule for unoccupied that keeps the temp at 77 when they are gone.

In theory this sounds great, however, once a room is engaged, it won’t move the room state to occupied.

I am sure you might have some thoughts and ideas, since you are more intimately familiar with the code you wrote.

Thanks much!
Ken

lets start with your current challenge :slight_smile:

you are doing this by specifying the presence sensor in ROOM DEVICES then in ENGAGED SETTINGS setting the Presence sensor actions to Both and setting the Require motion within to 3600 secs i.e. 60 minutes?

That will take care of setting the room to ENGAGED when the room owner is present and set the room to VACANT when the room owner departs. It will also change the room to vacant if there is no motion within 60 minutes.

then you would have 2 temperature rules for each of these rooms:
temperature rule 1: state: ENGAGED, maintain: BOTH, cool to: 72, heat to: 68, within temperature range: 0.4
temperature rule 2: state: OCCUPIED, VACANT, maintain: BOTH, cool to: 77, heat to: 65, within temperature range: 0.4

that takes care of the current challenge. off course you may need to tune the specific temperature to individual preferences by room owner.

on managing the vents with a whole house HVAC and vents in every room … here is what i am thinking:

allow specifying another option to manage temperature lets call it "manage vents only". with this option the app will require a temperature sensor, both heat and cool temperature and vents. then open and close vents proportionately based on the current room temperature and specified heating and cooling temperature in matching rules for that room.

the other part of the setup is ... in one room set it up with the central thermostat and temperature sensor from all of the rooms that are heated and cooled. then in the temperature rule for that room set the heat and cool temperature to the highest and lowest temperature value in the house.

this way the room with the thermostat will average all the rooms temperature to set the cooling and heating mode and temperature to cool or heat to. then each room will open and close vents according to their own temperature rules.

thoughts?

Hi @bangali sorry that didn’t work. I did notice yesterday that in the menu for anounce mode change the modes to speak in were selected. I assumed this was carried over from the main anounce menu and left it, I will empty them so the page is completely empty and try again.

Edit: that didn’t fix it either and I’m assuming that selection is to stop the announcements as a whole when you’re not there.

are you on version 0.70.0 or 0.70.1?

EDIT: update to the latest please … 0.70.2. if you were already on 0.70.0 just to need update the 2 apps. no changes to the DTH.

Not sure but I have updated now and will test again tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like