[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

Tony for 4, button? Which button? An explicit call yes, but in my case, a button triggering engaged overriding sleep is my exact issue…

wait…your issue is with Button or switch? There are two different settings.

Sorry,. It’s the switch… But yeah. There will have to be a differentiation between them from a behavior perspective. And I can also see where it might be a breaking change for some.

It’s going to give bengali fits for sure… I can’t really see a way of implementing the behavior properly without implementing on off switches that say something to the effect of ‘allow hierarchical override’ and defaulting them off…

bengali = a language.
bangali = one who speaks the bengali language.

(its a common typo)

currently having fits … i am waiting for you guys to continue discussing and talk each other out of this feature. :wink:

Yeah yeah, blame my phone, sir. I actually fixed autocorrect when it ‘fixed’ it the first three times. (Then I stopped fighting it)

I’m fine as long as my &^#$ TV stops pulling the room out of sleep mode…

done … blaming your phone. :slight_smile:

blame your better half? :wink: /jk

while we work this out … are you using the engaged power time range at least? or bedtime is not predictable enough for that to work?

Not using power time range… I have sleep sensors for that. Bedtime is NEVER predictable.

ok

and @TonyFleisher

thinking of another approach to adding this feature. what if there was an option to turn off certain sensors in different states?

so in locked state there would be a setting Ignore which state change devices?. any device you put in there would be ignore for state change purposes while in that state. similarly in asleep, engaged and occupied states as well.

@nathancu could add the TV to the asleep settings Ignore which state change devices? and all would be good.

avoids any priority conflicts and potential breakage for some users.

does this sound better or the overriding states is preferred?

Creative… I like it.

What capability would this new option use for the device list?

it wouldnt. it would find all the devices from that rooms settings and offer them in a multi-select list.

1 Like

looking thru the various settings seems if there is an option to ignore the following in order it should work.

in engaged state option to ignore:

• occupied switches

in asleep state option to ignore:

• occupied switches
  • engaged switches
  • music player
  • power device for engaged

in locked state option to ignore:

• occupied switches
  • engaged switches
  • music player
  • power device for engaged
  • asleep switches
  • power device for asleep

other devices like button devices would continue to work as they do now.

2 Likes

This would work

1 Like

@TonyFleisher see you liked the post … just want to double check … does it cover the use cases you had in mind for prioritized states?

I think it will work

1 Like

I’m happy to report that the adjacent room settings are now working for me. You’re the man!

2 Likes

i didnt actually do any code changes for this … just added some code optimization to only process any room for adjacent rooms when the adjacent rooms value for that room had changed.

before it used to process all rooms for adjacent rooms when any room was saved. since its working now … that confirmed what i was suspecting … the issues was happening from processing all rooms which was then timing out on ST.

Okay. I’m trying to wrap my head around this. I had a few pistons in webcore that was doing the job but like this idea more. Starting with a plain room with one motion sensor and one light. Want to change it to occupied, them after light traffic to engaged. Then turn off after no motion. The piston mentioned turns on the light with motion but also has its own rules about when to turn off. So I need to get rid of those? As it is now, light turns on, room changes to occupied and 45 second countdown starts. But no matter how much I move around the room, it never changes to engaged. It then goes to checking after the 45 seconds and even then movement does not restart the count. Then light goes off.

welcome to the club. :slight_smile:

for comprehensive automation of rooms in the house rooms manager works much better for me. i still use pistons for one off things that does not fit in this pattern.

you dont need the piston at all … so should disable the one for this room when you try this.

45 seconds count down should restart after each motion. so lights will not turn off while you are moving around in the room.

currently the engaged state with traffic is triggered by state change only. so in a short period of time if the room changes between occupied, checking and vacant it will trigger the change to engaged state based on the traffic setting.

wondering if i should trigger engaged when someone is in the room and moving around for a while. need to think a bit on if that makes sense from how it should work perspective. :slight_smile:

When in Occupied state if there is sustained motion … trigger Engaged state based on existing busy check setting?

• Automatically trigger Engaged state
  • Do NOT automatically trigger Engaged state

0 voters