[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

could you please comment line 1310 and give it a try?

thank you.

Argh, logging stops working once a method from the parent app is called - anyone know whatā€™s up with that? Took way too longā€¦

Anywayā€¦ My bug is at line 2107
rmCoolTemp = (((nightModes && nightModes.contains(location.currentMode)) || roomState == ā€˜asleepā€™) ? roomCoolTempNight : roomCoolTemp)

roomCoolTemp (and roomCoolTempNight) donā€™t seem to be defined anywhere and subsequently causes a Null exception.

Iā€™d like to modify this function anyway so that it tries to maintain the temperature of the room only if itā€™s in an engaged stateā€¦ so I just commented the whole thing out for now.

thats a ST feature. always makes debugging funner.

thanks for the helping hand with debugging the issue. just pushed a new release that should fix this issue amongst other things.

this was something @nathancu had also asked for. part of the changes for this release allow setting up rules to maintain temperature. so if you only want temperature to be maintained when the room is in engaged state you can set the rule accordingly now.

since my zigbee devices are still randomly reporting incorrect statuses on the beta firmware i am going to hold off on making an announcement on the main post but this should work for you and @nathancu

thanks again.

1 Like

Bangali,

Huge fan of the app. Love it! Questions;

I am experiencing significant latency when switching on multiple hue bulbs (seconds). Is this normal? I can live with it but if it can be fixed, awesome. The Hue app doesnā€™t show this latency.

Alarm Clock - if you can introduce an alarm clock function thatā€™s easily added to / set from a room you would be a god in my eyes.

Music - the only time I want to automate music is in my travel mode (and my desired alarm clock mode!)I have Sonos in every room, grouped from Living Room. How do I set a certain thing to play on all speakers from Rooms Manager?

Sleep - with a smart socket / power meter could I automate this by putting the house to sleep when I plug my phone in at night?

Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more but I canā€™t think right now.

Cheers

1 Like

thank you!

apparently this is a common complain with ST and hue. if you search on the forum you will find a bunch of threads on this. from the apps perspective it doesnt actually know that those are hue bulbs its switching on it just tells ST to turn on those bulbs and seems that takes a while.

on my personal todo list. probably the easiest way may be through the rooms device settings. will look in to it.

when you create a rule you have the option of setting the music device to play when the rule executes. right now it does not give you an option to choose playlist.

right now asleep settings dont support using a power value to set room to asleep. i will put in my todo list.

thanks again.

No problem. Since you are taking care of the temperature management, Iā€™ll play with the adjacency. I have a couple of ideas to improve the scenario where there are multiple people at home.

Maybe tweak AL a bit too. I love the idea but automatic values donā€™t work great for me. Currently, I have Smart Lighting turn the lights on (and back off) at certain times to set the brightness and color temperature, including modified (Ā± offset) Sunrise and Sunset. The same thing would be better Rooms Manager because then lights wouldnā€™t flash on and off. (Also sometimes Smart Lighting fails to turn the lights off)

1 Like

contributions welcome :slight_smile:

yeah the version of AL in there is pretty raw. what happens that does not meet your needs currently?

though have you tried setting the wakeup / sleep times and checking if that then meets your need?

my long term thinking on this was to have different alternatives because i figured one pattern would not meet everyones need. so AL is currently laid out how it works best for me. but the goal is to have:

AL = current version
CD = true circadian daylight
HL = holiday lights routine
etcā€¦

again contributions welcome. :slight_smile:

1 Like

if i push out this feature would you be able to give it a try?

thank you.

1 Like

@bangali. First off let me say what a lifesaver this app is for me. I have been playing around with it since the beginning of the week and am finding quite useful for my needs.

I do have a question in regards to motion sensors. In my Kitchen I have 3 motion sensors and I would like to use 2 motion sensors to trigger (any of the 2, not all 2) the lights but all 3 should be used to maintain the Occupied status in Room Manager. Right now I am using Smart Lighting to turn the lights on if any of those 2 motions sensors become active. So, is it possible to do something like this directly in the Room Manager app? What I would like to do is maintain the usage of the button pushes in RM to activate the lighting (via Smart Lighting) and take full advantage of the Asleep and DND state to prevent automatons when these status are active for the room. This is most important for the Master Bedroom where I can take advantage of the night light and what not. Hope this make sense and thank you for a awesome app!

1 Like

thank you.

please help me understand this. so at least 2 of the motion sensors have to become active simultaneously before the room is considered occupied? after that motion on any of the 3 motion sensors will keep the room occupied?

wouldnt creating a rule to turn on the lights be simpler?

thanks again.

1 Like

@bangali

Thanks for the quick reply.

If any of the 2 kitchen motion sensors become active then set the room to occupied. Motion on those 2 does not need to be simultaneously just either one of them is active. And yes once occupied then use the 3 motions sensors to either maintain the state of in RM.

I might have been confusing or I am misunderstanding, sorry. So right now in the Master Bedroom I am turning on the lights using a Smart Lighting rule, if the RM Master Bedroom button 1 is pushed turn on the lights. Then another if button 3 pushed turn off the lights. So if I turn the room to asleep then the Smart lighting Rules will continue to run, I donā€™t want this. I would prefer to not use Smart lighting and take advantage of the options in RM like asleep. So that when I get up in the early morning the house and be set to Home and still leave the alseep button engaged in the Master Bedroom. So that if the cats walk through the room it does not turn the light on until the alseep is disengaged.

Thanks!

this part should work right now if you include the 2 motion sensors in the occupied settings.

the app does not support this. do you mind if i ask why the 2 vs 3 motion sensor arrangement?

i may be missing something here but why not create rules in the app itself to turn on the lights? that would do exactly what you are looking for and not turn on the lights when the room is asleep and the cat walks through. the rules are hidden if easy settings is turned on. if easy settings is turned off and you scroll down you should see the RULES section.

thanks.

Ok I will give the in app rules a try to tonight. Thanks for your help!

Oh and I will try to eliminate the 3 motion sensor in the kitchen. I have had in there for ages and the more I think about I might need it after all. I will test that tonight as well.

1 Like

Hi Bangali.

I canā€™t really work out quoting from my iPad. I will happily try out the power idea. I have to get a smart socket, Iā€™m away travelling from Sunday but happily try it any time after that.

Thanks for your quick responses.

1 Like

no worries. sounds good ā€¦ ping me here please when you have the smart socket and are ready to give it a try.

thanks.

EDIT: btw if anyone else wants to try this please dont hesitate to ping me. :slight_smile:

@bangali

Need your help on a new scenario for the bedrooms specifically at night.

During normal operations I would like the bedroom lights to turn on/off based on occupancy and engaged settings like any other room. BUT when my switch for the fans are on I want the lighting rule to not engage at all. I do not see any way to leverage a switch as a variable to do this. Suggestions? Or can there be a new feature added?

Aaron

Do you have WebCoRE installed by chance?

currently no. I have stayed away from automating the locked state. but similar to what happens for engaged could add a switch to be on to consider the room to be locked.

when locked no automation would happen so no change there but it does give a way to set the room to the locked state.

is that what you were thinking?

Please continue to do so - I rely on this behavior now. It would be a VERY breaking change. :slight_smile:

automation will not be supported in locked mode.

however if i do this nothing should be impacted for you right?

this will allow for example to set the room state to locked by setting a physical switch or virtual switch to on by various means including app, alexa, home etc. but when locked it will still not support any of the automation rules same as now.

thanks.