[Migrated to Custom Capabilities] Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized rules based home automation with rooms Occupancy sensing from devices you already have in your home

true … hadnt thought about that. just set your timeout motion timeout to 250 seconds and it will work as before? have you tried this and does it work?

have seen users complaining on the forums about these long motion inactive timeout some motion sensors have. so, trying to create more flexibility for them.

Thanks @bangali! I finally got it to work. Not sure what I was doing wrong but I can see it now.

1 Like

OK, so I set up the room and I have it set to set the room ‘vacant’ after 300 seconds but it never sets the room back to ‘vacant’. Then I tried 120 seconds and it still doesn’t set the room to ‘vacant’. Shouldn’t it be setting the room back to ‘vacant’?

so the room has a motion sensor and no motion timeout of 300 seconds set in the app? when you enter the room motion is detected and room changes to occupied but after 300 seconds it does not change back to vacant?

1. are any other settings specified?
  2. do you see any errors in the IDE around this time?

EDIT: I tried with just those settings and it seems to work OK. if you go to the room device in things and press the vacant button manually does that work?

Yes, it doesn’t seem to change to Vacant. It stayed Occupied until we started to watch TV. Then it changed to Engaged as I have it set to do that when we stop watching TV. It has stayed on Engaged since then and that is where it is now. I don’t see any errors. I just went downstairs and the lights came on with the motion but the Room is still in the Engaged status.

When will the contact feature be implemented?

would you please install the latest version and check if anything is different? after installing please reset the room back to vacant and retry from there.

also, which settings are specified for the room? for any device specified please share just the device type not so much the name.

thanks.

its there in the latest version.

That seemed to make it work. It reset to Vacant after 300 seconds. So then, what does the Engage status do?

1 Like

cool. heres that section of the settings. the “Change Room to ‘ENGAGED’ State on?” settings are meant to put the room in ENGAGED status which keeps the switches from turning off even where there is no motion for a while. so if you are sitting in a room and watching TV and there is no motion the switches specified will not be turned off. without this if the room is in occupied status and there is no motion the switches would be turned off after no motion timeout value specified.

the second timeout which is at the bottom of the screenshot forces the motion check even when the room is in engaged state. but that can have a higher interval for the check. say something like 1 hour i.e. 3600 seconds so if you move at least once in 1 hour the room will continue to stay in ENGAGED and switches kept on. otherwise the room will be reset from ENGAGED to VACANT and switches turned off.

• Support multiple presence sensor per room for Engaged state setting
  • One presence sensor per room is sufficient for Engaged state setting

0 voters

Setup a Piston in WebCoRE today but thought I would get the options such as occupied, vacant or whatever…I am thinking that I have to type these in under occupacystatus?

Also, I am not sure if the contact monitors open for vacancy? I ended up copying over one of my pistons which works well with just one boolean variable but I really do like the concept of this great app.

Finally, will there be a “Master” device that list all of the rooms and their current status?

Here’s my Piston that I would love for this app to be able to drastically reduce the arguments. In essence, I would love to just say without having to define all of the conditions in the Piston itself:

If Blah Blah Blah
And
If Room is Occupied
Then Blah Blah Blah

If Blah Blah Blah
And
If Room is Vacant
Then Blah Blah Blah

Switch 20 is the Bathroom Fan
download

thats only possible if those values were saved in webcore. like for a switch you get the values on/off in a drop down because that is explicitly coded in webcore. if you want to check the state you have to type in those values to check occupancyStatus. but for the device you do have the custom commands occupied(), vacant() to set the room to the respective status manually.

the contact when its closed and there is motion with the first timeout value after contact is closed, the room is treated as engaged. once engaged it only checks for motion once every second timeout value (new setting) specified in settings as you asked for earlier. when the contact sensor changes to open again it treats the room normally that is occupied with motion and vacant with no motion etc.

looking at your piston seems like all of that could be replaced by defining a room with the right settings.

thanks for the suggestion, i will put that on the list of to dos.

EDIT: btw, if you need any help with defining the room with the right settings just LMK.

1 Like

First, I am digging the App. It’s super cool and with a little more work, I can see it becoming a ST Staple!

I’ve been playing around with the settings. It all makes sense and is very intuitive! So the only two things missing, for me at least, are:
(Timers)

1. The ability to turn on/off a switch(s) after the room “has been occupied or engaged” for “x” amount of time.
  2. The ability to turn on/off switch(s) after the room "has been vacant for “x” amount of time.

Example of a Practical Scenario, such as my Bathroom Piston above which involves two separate switches with two separate timers based on occupancy…

Someone has been in the bathroom for 4 minutes. The assumption is they are doing #2 so after the 4 minutes the fan kicks on. After they leave the light goes off but the fan should run for another 3 minutes before turning off.

I can and have been putting these together in webCoRE but was trying to simplify it by using your App and webCoRE. However by the attributes not being there, for some, including myself, it was a little confusing.

Maybe @ady624 can chime in here?

Keep up the great work!

1 Like

thank you, much appreciate.

this is not possible today.

this is partially possible today by using the “Dim lights for how many seconds before turning off” setting. but yes, both the light and the fan would stay on for that period of time instead of just the fan staying on.

most of what you are looking to do should be possible natively in the app itself.

thank you, keep the feedback coming.

updated github with support for time window to control switches. it works in coordination with other settings like lux, switches to turn on and switches to turn off.

not sure if i should update at bottom of the thread as well but updated the first post with addition of support for time window and little more info on the device status. also, added an option to select if timeout should be from last motion active or on motion inactive event to allow for motion sensors with long timeouts.

started looking at this - pretty cool!

One thing I didn’t see but maybe I missed it. Is it possible to make a room vacant by turning off a light only?

thank you.

yes, you can. in the room settings “change room to ‘engaged’ when?” section set the engaged switch to be the switch which when turned off will change the room to vacant. just tested it … hadnt actually tried it before. :smile:

will update the section text on next release to make that a bit clearer.

Perfect thanks! good idea on the wording - I took it as making it engaged but not making it vacant if I turn it off.

Edit - I thought I had tested this method and the room went into checking for a while. I will test again tomorrow.