Ring vs Skybell vs Kuna vs?

Does anyone have the Ring Pro? or Could someone tell me the difference between regular ring and pro? I saw the video quality is different, the pro is hard wired, any other noticeable differences worth the extra money?

Lastly, I am thinking on getting a kuna for the back porch, and ring for front porch/doorbell. any thoughts?

I canā€™t come in on the ring, but we have the Kuna and really like it. The only thing is it doesnā€™t integrate with SmartThings in anyway.

can I use it as a regular light fixture for my porch? and possibly use a smart bulb or switch to control the light itself?

Are you asking this about the Kuna? It already has schedules and controls, they just donā€™t integrate with anything else.

I have both a Ring and Ring Pro. The Ring Pro is not installed [yet] because in my older condo I donā€™t have a transformer with enough voltage to reliably power the Ring Pro. You will really want to have a 24v transformer if you plan on installing the Ring Pro. Furthermore, the Ring Pro lacks a battery so if the power goes out the unit will go down. Not having the unit power-off in this situation might be useful if your router and cable modem are also connected to a battery backup and if the internet hasnā€™t gone down in the neighborhood, so in that sense the Ring is actually a better option if that were ever a concern. Otherwise, the Ring Pro has a slimmer form factor, 1080p resolution (vs 720p on the Ring), and supposedly better motion detection/alerting than the Ring. The drawback is that the Ring Pro has a smaller FOV at I believe 160-degrees vs 180-degrees that the Ring has. I originally got the Ring Pro to ā€˜upgradeā€™ the Ring but given all the pros and cons, I donā€™t think it would be that great of an upgrade (and Iā€™d have to drill two new holes in the wallā€¦blech). I wish they would have thought about the design on the Ring Pro a little more before pushing it out as a ā€˜superiorā€™ product to the Ring. I think theyā€™re both on the same playing field, even with the 1080p vs 720p.

1 Like

This is very informative. Thank you!

1 Like

I have been using a Ring Pro for over a month now. Its hard wired and is a lot slimmer in size compared to the regular Ring. The trim on which my previous door bell was mounted, was very thin. Ring Pro prefectly fits there. There is suppoort for creating/monitoring multiple zone, not sure if this exists for the regular version. ST integrating is very limited, just motion detection.

whats your take on any of them? Are they worth the money? Are there any others that you would recommend instead? Are they all ST compatible?

The yale product is new, and they are releasing a Zwave one soon too. I already the Yale Zwave touchscreen door lock, so I was wondering if that maybe a better route to go.

You left out skybell, which has an official SmartThings integration. :sunglasses:

The following thread has a lot of detailed discussion:

And the Yale viewer doesnā€™t send video over zwave, nobody sends video over zwave because thereā€™s no forced sequencing. Itā€™s a Wi-Fi device for the video with an added Z wave module to do notifications to A zwave home automation system.

http://z-wavealliance.org/5896-2/

Iā€™d tell you how well my new Ring Pro works, but it refuses to power up, and Iā€™m at the end of Day 3 waiting for Ring Support to respond to my multiple requests for support on the issue.

Well, thats not good

Integration is coming to the ring doorbell but no camera support yet.

1 Like

I absolutely love my ring pro love being able to see if someone go toward my house or presses the button from anywhere. notification not too laggy able to talk to people at the door.

I am truly considering the ring pro, but I also plan on adding some Arlo Cameras, so I wonder if you use the money towards the camera systemā€¦

I just posted a $25 off coupon code for Ring, Ring Pro and Ring Stick-Up Cam that is good till the end of the year. Also until the end of November you will get a free solar yard sign. Code is 7oakcreek.

1 Like

I have read this whole discussionā€¦

With the Ring, do you need to subscribe for the live view/ live communication? Is the cloud only for video retention?

I have security cameras already that record on motion just wanted that extra when the door bell is pressed to be able to communicate with them.

Thanks

My understanding is that you only need the subscription if you want cloud access to review recordings up to 6 month old. You do not need it for live video interaction

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, subscription only needed for recordings, you can live view without.

I have a Ring Pro on my front door and a Ring ā€œclassicā€ on my read door. They are great, and getting better. The newest app (about a week or two old now) is a huge improvement, too. I was a pre-release adopter of the Ring Pro, and their support & dev teams were excellent in dealing with the initial problems.

The ST integration is about half-done, in my mind. I like that the Rings can provide trigger sources to automations, but I would really like to use the Rings as actors. When my SMH registers an intrusion, the first thing I do is go into the Ring app, view the Live View of the front door, then view the Live View of the rear door. Iā€™m looking for anything out of place, of course. Iā€™d like the SHM to be able to automatically trigger recording on my Rings, as if they had detected motion. That would guarantee that video is captured, even if Iā€™m not available to manually trigger the live view.

My Rings have a limited motion sensor trigger (by my deliberate setup), so that they really only trip when thereā€™s a likely approach to the doorway. However, they can see much more-- like cars parked on the street or in my driveway, and people walking in my side yard. If the SMH could automatically trigger the recording, that would be most excellent.

tl;dr Would be great if Ringā€™s recording could be triggered by ST.