Ring Alarm released! (Integration project in post 13)

Check this https://github.com/asishrs/smartthings-ringalarm/pull/10#issuecomment-442320443

I don’t think that is what I need…I don’t have the Ring Alarm showing in my choosable devices within WebCoRE. So I am not able to see or set ANY status. It does not show.

It does show in my SmartThings App, however.

Did you add it as a device available to webCore. In the Classic App, Automation, SmartApps, webCore, Settings, Available Devices, Available Devices. Make sure Ring is included here. (I don’t have a Ring, but this is where you make everything else available to webCore.)

1 Like

Ug. Duh. That was it. Thank you so much @Bry. I shall have to remember that.

Security Panel Controller API - allows us to control security systems via Alexa-enabled devices.
May be can be used with Smartthings.

You are a saint! Thank you for your work on this—your documentation was very easy to follow. With zero experience with AWS, lambda, etc. got it up and running in less than an hour. Love it!

This would be great if some person way smarter than me came up with a smart app for this. While it’s nice with the Alexa integration, ST integration would be huge.

1 Like

Haven’t tried this yet but am curious to know if this exposes the Ring system’s motion and door/window sensors to Smartthings.

I just wanted to express my appreciation for the work done on this integration. There’s several moving pieces to this, but even with my limited experience I was able to put it together as a result of the very detailed instructions provided. I too had basically zero experience with lambdas in AWS, but was able to get the bridge app up and running pretty easily.

Now that I have it all humming, I did want to ask a couple questions just to make sure I really understand what all is going on, and that what I did makes sense because piecing together many different replies in this post was a little challenging.

I started out following the instructions to set up the bridge application in AWS, and then install the device, device handler, and smartapp. I then created three modes in SmartThings to equal my Ring Alarm modes - Home, Away, Disarmed. I then configured the smartapp to set the appropriate Ring Alarm mode based on the SmartThings mode. That all seemed to work really well. That gave me the ability to do any integrations I wanted by simply controlling the SmartThings mode and letting the smartapp then set the Ring Alarm mode automatically for me.

But then I noticed what some others have commented on about how if I were to use the Ring App or the keypad to change my Ring Alarm mode, nothing would ever tell SmartThings it had changed so it’d be out of sync. Also based on some other comments I started looking into webCoRE which again I had zero experience in, but I finally fumbled my way through setting up the following piston. It subscribes to the Ring Alarm status changes and set the SmartThings mode appropriately. There is still a little more delay than I’d like, but generally not more than a minute or so.

So I guess I’m just curious if I’m on the right track with this approach and what I did makes sense and is necessary. Also if you have any ideas to cut the delay down further please let me know.

Thanks-

Yeah you are on the right track from what I can tell. The only thing I can add to this is that webcore is polling the status from the Smartthing Device not the actual ring base station so you are still going to get a max of 5 min delay. The only way to circumvent having a delay would be to get a zwave keypad (Like Iris) to replace your Ring Keypad since that is the thing that is messing up the sync.

This would be the flow.
Iris Keypad (enter in code and press away button)
Smartapp or webcore piston sets status of Ring Alarm Device to Away
Ring Alarm Device sends api call to Ring that will actually set your security system to Away
System Arms and everything is in sync.

This is my understanding of it and it may be incorrect and would love to be corrected so I can make changes to my current setup :slight_smile: If I get some time this week I was going to look at the API and see if I can make it event driven instead of polling so we’ll see how that goes. I have a couple other projects I am working on first so hopefully I get those done and I can hop onto this.

Hi –

I went through all the steps, has been about 15 hours. I am getting the following error. I checked GitHub and saw some people had a similar error code.

_HTTP/2 502 _
date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 18:47:44 GMT
content-type: application/json
content-length: 36
_x-amzn-requestid: _
x-amz-apigw-id: SRVEnE-eoAMFxJQ=

{“message”: “Internal server error”}

Any idea what I’m doing wrong? The instructions were very thorough, my only point of confusion was this step:

Click on the Upload button and select the ring-alarm-{version}-SNAPSHOT.zip downloaded or the local built version in build/distributions/ directory.

I downloaded the Github repository (asishrs/smartthings-ringalarm), zip’d it up locally and uploaded to AWS Lambda, wasn’t sure if that was the correct thing to do.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

No. This isn’t correct process. Easiest approach is to Go to the “releases” area in the github repository and download latest tarball from there. (There is also a link in the readme)

1 Like

Thanks for the contribution! All is good, but i am completely stuck at the ZID portion. I followed the steps to a “TEE” but cannot find anything like:

“msg”:“DeviceInfoDocGetList”

and therefore none of the steps after.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks very much – unfortunately when I try to set the alarm, nothing happens. I looked at the livelog and get the following error:

Ring Alarm SET to HOME Error: groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Bad Gateway

Anyone have thoughts on how to debug? Thank you

What are all the statuses for the alarm? In webcore it just is looking for a string so I want to make sure I get the value correct. I’m guessing it’s home, away, disarmed, but what about when it is going off?

2nd question, can we tell the status of the contact sensors as well? If so how do we do that.

I asked these questions on the github repo as well.

So the answer I got from the github repo was that there is no way to see the status of the ring contact sensors through the api created and the status of the alarm right now is unknown. Can anyone who has this installed correctly make their alarm go off and call the api to see what it returns when it is going off? I would try but I have professional monitoring and I really don’t want to try to explain all of this to the cops…

for those of you with the ring alarm, do the motion and contact sensors show up in the Alexa app the same way SmartThings ones do?

No, they do not. I can only see the “Ring” device. I can, however, see the Z-wave door locks that I have added to the Ring Alarm panel.

ineteresting. You would think Amazon owning ring they would get the sensors added to they can be used in Alexa Routines.

I hope they will as well! I would like to use my current Ring door sensor attached to my garage side door so that it triggered my garage lights. As it currently stands, I would need to get an additional door sensor that works with SmartThings for that to work…

1 Like