Ring Alarm released! (Integration project in post 13)

That is an excellent use case. I haven’t thought about it.

Regarding the sync question, yes the app will update the status based on Ring. I have a poll which checks Ring api every 1 minute for status.

Regards,
Asish

Thanks for your help, I got it working.

Anyone having problems with Smartthings after introducing a Ring Security system to their house? Ever since I added the Ring Security system to my house, my Kwikset Z-Wave deadbolts keep becoming unavailable. Everything has been rock solid for a couple years. The only thing that has changed is adding Ring Security. All of my other Z-Wave devices seem to be fine, it is just the locks that go down. I have 2 locks, and they randomly become unavailable. When this happens, the batteries in them get depleted within a day or 2. The only way to get them back online is to take the battery pack out and wait a few minutes. Usually they come back, but don’t stay for more than a day or 2. Frustrating!

Yea, I currently use stringify to turn on lights when the alarm goes off. Unfortunately the email triggers are very unreliable. Can it be done in your setup?

Can WebCore do this? The current version of the application is polling every minute to get the status update. Even if we do this, there will be a delay of one minute. Do you have any experience in this? The source code is base on MIT license; you can modify it if you know it.

In that case stringify might still be the best option. Sometimes it triggers immediately and sometime around 30 seconds, still better than 1 minute. Can that poll interval change to maybe 30 seconds? Just curious.

Update: so now everything seems to be working just fine now. Maybe it needed overnight to sync up? Anyways, thanks for this! It’s an awesome integration!

Edit: so when I arm through the Ring app it syncs to smartthings. I just can’t do anything from smartthings to sync the status with the Ring app. I get the error mentioned below when trying to change status in smartthings.

So I took time today and seem to have this setup or so I thought. When I choose to arm away or stay I get “warn No event handler found for alarm event” in smartthings log. Nothing happens when I select to Arm within the Ring app either. Any idea what’s going on? Thanks!

Yes you can change that to 30 seconds. I can expose that as a settings as well.

Still working for me. Can you check the API call?

I’ve been playing around with the new SmartThings app and noticed that this doesn’t work there. Do you know if it will eventually get automatically synced like other devices or will we no longer be able to use this once the full switch to the new app happens?

Just chiming in here…

I got the Lambda up and running, but all I get back is 200 - OK - {“message”:“Unknown”} no matter what status I try to set to. I think it may be a permissions issue? I’m not sure what to set the user / password to. I tried my Ring account credentials, but no joy, same results.

Also, installed the Device Handler and Smart App, but Ring Alarm doesn’t show up in My Home. Like you said, Jorge, may I need to be patient and allow things to sync up. Be nice if there was a Force Sync button or something. :slight_smile:

Bob

Jorge_Rivera

November 15

I’ve been playing around with the new SmartThings app and noticed that this doesn’t work there. Do you know if it will eventually get automatically synced like other devices or will we no longer be able to use this once the full switch to the new app happens?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

asishrs

[Asish ](https://community.smartthings.com/u/asishrs)

October 27

Still working for me. Can you check the API call?

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hey I’m not sure what that reply was?

Thanks for your hard work.
I got bad gateway error in the logs.
HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 07:54:02 GMT
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 36
Connection: keep-alive
x-amzn-RequestId:
x-amz-apigw-id:

{“message”: “Internal server error”}

Here’s what I did:
I followed your instruction until the last step where it says to click “Ring Alarm” device.
Since my device list doesn’t have it, so I created a Ring Alarm device with your device handler. .
Does it matter what Device network ID I set it to?

I changed the API key to an incorrect one just to test, and I get forbidden message. So I guess Bad Gateway means I’m able to connect to AWS?

Under the API step, a resource “Ring-Alarm” is already created for me.
To “create a resource {ring-action+}”, do I create it under \ or under \Ring-Alarm\ ?

It worked by itself after one night. Weird…

To clarify the instruction:

After adding device handler on the web interface, click on “My Devices” and click “+New Device”
Pick a name and pick whatever name for device network ID
Select RingAlarm under device type.
Select location and hub. Click Create
Then click “edit” next to preference, enter the required fields.

Another step is needed when creating API
After API is created, go to usage plan, click Ring-Alarm-Usage Plan, add API Stage

Also clarify that {ring-action+} should be under “/” , not Ring-Alarm
revoke url should end with .com/default

If error message is forbidden, it means API step is wrong. Need to set usage plan or API key is incorrect.
If error message is unknown, the invoke URL or POST URL is incorrect.
If error message is 502 gateway, wait a day or 2, it fixed itself (at least for me)

1 Like

see my reply above

@BobSilva also check the issues at GitHub https://github.com/asishrs/smartthings-ringalarm/issues/8#issuecomment-441872175

We have few other users asking similar questions on GitHub and @superhell2001 and myself added details with images on those. Let me know if you are still seeing API issues.

@asishrs, I’m about to set up my Ring Alarm and was hoping for Smartthings integration. I’m glad I found your project. Most of this discussion is about setting the Ring Alarm state when the SHM state is changed. I was hoping to do the opposite, set Smartthings SHM state and Routines by arming and disarming from the Ring alarm panel. Does your integration allow for this?

Also, if the Ring Alarm is in an alarm state, is there some way that Smartthings can be made aware of it to trigger actions? I have some Arlo cameras that I’d like to trigger.

matics

November 27

@asishrs, I’m about to set up my Ring Alarm and was hoping for Smartthings integration. I’m glad I found your project. Most of this discussion is about setting the Ring Alarm state when the SHM state is changed. I was hoping to do the opposite, set Smartthings SHM state and Routines by arming and disarming from the Ring alarm panel. Does your integration allow for this?

Also, if the Ring Alarm is in an alarm state, is there some way that Smartthings can be made aware of it to trigger actions? I have some Arlo cameras that I’d like to trigger.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

If memory serves, asishrs’s ST code polls Ring every 60 seconds. So, while not event-driven, I believe it’s polled.