RGB and RGBW LED strip lights

If you find the Hue LED strips too expensive or lacking in features, there are alternatives just around the corner.

Take the typical LED RGBW light strips as the following:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MN9AALA

To integrate it with SmartThings, you need a Z-Wave or ZigBee controller between the power supply and the LED strips. The kit above comes with an IR controller but not accessible by SmartThings.

There are two devices that have promise:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P1N68FW

The Fibaro RGBW controller is a powerful controller in a small package (smaller than AEON Z-Wave Micro Smart Energy Switch). It also can handle other inputs that I plan on using with simple open/close sensors for kitchen cabinet switches among other features.

Right now, however, there isn’t a real good device type written to take advantage of these features. It pairs as a Z-Wave dimmer which would be fine if you only wanted to control a single color LED strip. A device type for Zipato works for RGB but is awkward to use:

A more recent solution is a device from dresden elektronik wireless:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NMSQ4QQ/

This device paired quickly as a Hue bulb and uses the color circle to control color. Since Hue doesn’t support RGBW, it does not yet control white correctly. It probably would work just fine with RGB. In theory, ZigBee should be more responsive than Z-Wave but I haven’t compared the two yet.

So it seems the devices are out there but better SmartThings device types need to be developed.

5 Likes

Thank you for this. I was looking at getting the LEDWarehouse LED lights (basically same as you listed). Seems the Zibgee controller has most promise for near-use. I wonder if someone could modify the zigbee device type that acts as a Huge bulb, and extend it to have a “white” slider". Know of any efforts to this? Seems they don’t have any available on amazon currently…

It may be real easy to add an additional white slider to the Hue device type. I just hooked it up yesterday but have tons on my plate so to speak.

I believe they are working on Amazon fulfillment to reduce shipping and should be available again soon.

If you use the laptop style transformer like the example kit, you also need one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HR8GBO2
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2Bp1ajkuNL.SL1100.jpg

@bechwith : I Like those lights you show, but I found LEDWarehouse. They offer a longer run, for a reasonable price: [65FT RGB Strip][1]
[1]: http://shop.ledwholesalers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=284

Just an FYI. This is where it gets really interesting for me. :slight_smile:

Make sure you compare density. The 65 foot strip you cite and the kit I show both have 600 50/50 LEDs. The denser the brighter the output. This is pretty much the limit for 24v solutions. Also, the kit includes a transformer.

Be forewarned, the transformer in the kit is just barely powerful enough to drive the LED set at full power. Adding lead wire or one of the controllers may require a 6 amp transformer. However, this is not a forgone conclusion because you may not use the entire LED run.

Also, most large transformers delay start time. However, this is moot if you have the controller handle on/off.

There a many comparable products out there. Competition is good.

Hey @beckwith: I actually reached out to LEDwarehouse, and they built me a custom solution ensuring proper power, etc. Sadly, came in about 200, as I need about 60-80 ft for the first project, and that doesn’t even get it integrated into SmartThings. Your right about density… I’d be curious to get a brightness comparison from them…

I want to do something similar, just control white 12VDC LEDs under my cabinets on/off/dim.
Do you know if they make a single channel version of this for just a single color led strip?

I need either that or a device where I can plug it into a dimmer lamp or switch module and convert the 0-120VAC to 0-12VDC or 12VDC PWM (I have a few Z-wave lamp dimmers laying around so this method could be cheap for me )

Currently I have a 12VDC power switching power supply pluged into a on/off appliance module. It works great but at night time I want the LEDs to be at a lower level like 50% and 100% during the day.

If this works out decently and cost effectively I want to do the same thing in other areas of the house.

They only make the one RGBW controller, no single channel version.

Note, that the app lets you control the brightness, so you ultimately could build a simplified app with your brightness levels…

I have a white LED strip light in my pantry. I power it with a “dumb” wall-wort transformer plugged into a GE lamp module. Dimming the module reduces output from the transformer and so dims the LED strip. Save different dimmer setting as scenes, which you can call as needed. Very simple, very easy. Got the wall-work in the bargain bin at local electronics store. Works great. if all you need is white light, it is the way to go.

Does anyone know if this would work with the Smartthings controller? I am looking to control my outdoor pool lights with this without a remote.

No it won’t work with SmartThings. You need one that supports Z-Wave or Zigbee.

Heya,

Would this device work for just controlling White Led Strips using Smart Things? They also make an RGB version?

1 Like

Also Wondering if that ZigBee-RGB controller would work? Anyone Tried one yet?

Hi guys I was wondering how you where getting on with the operating of rgbw led strips and hue ? Ideally I would like to be able to use and dim just the white mostly only using rgb occasionally using the hue app or one of the 3rd party apps. Was hoping this was doable before purchasing but might just have to take a leap of faith :smile:

I just got the zigbee-RGB yesterday, and I’m not having any luck pairing it. The directions aren’t the best. I’ve held down both arrow buttons to where the orange light is lit, but smartthings doesn’t show any new devices.

Are there any tricks I need to know for stubborn devices?

Turn on the logs through the IDE to see any clues.

1 Like

Ok, thank you. I’ll try that tonight.

1 Like

Here is what the live logs showed when I attempted to pair the ZigBee-RGB and this is what the logs showed:

Does this show anything usefull?

Haven’t done this in a while but the logs don’t seem to indicate anything. Have you tried a reboot? Is it close to the hub? Also, ZigBee uses 2.4 ghz which can interfere with WiFi, Sonos, Chromcast, Harmony, etc. Make sure it isn’t too close to other wireless devices.