[RESOLVED] TTS Not working (May 2016)

I had this this week with Comcast! :flushed:

2 Likes

yeaā€¦ made no since to me either, however at this point I am ready to stand on my head with my hair on fire while throwing chicken bones at it if I could get my @MichaelS Talking Alarm Clock back :anguished:

1 Like

TTS didnā€™t work for me either this morning :frowning:

did you run a zwave repair after rebooting your hub?, Iā€™ve heard thatā€™s the solutionā€¦ :thumbsdown:

2 Likes

Iā€™m so tempted to mark this as the solution to the thread.

3 Likes

I put on a foil hat and now I donā€™t hear any of the voicesā€¦that is good, right?

4 Likes

OMGā€¦MichaelSā€¦I think youā€™ve hit upon a solutionā€¦put the tinfoil hat ON the smartthings hub. :wink:
I think some Beez and zwaves are escaping from itā€¦we need to keep them inside!

Update!!!

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the additional info. You were the first person to write into us about this bug, but since your reply we have gotten several more people writing in with the same issue. We have recreated the bug in our testing lab and have alerted our development team so that they can start investigating and working on fixing the code that was changed. I have tagged your email address in our internal bug tracking database so that you are notified immiedietly upon this issues resolution. Iā€™m terribly sorry for the inconvenience, thank you for your patience while we get this fixed.

2 Likes

Nice! Code was changed? Interestingā€¦My first guess was they were using the free Amazon Ivona level and went over their 50k monthly limit. :wink: ā€¦it is getting toward the end of the month, ya know.

3 Likes

That has never worked for me. Let me know if you get anything in the next year related to a resolutionā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s insulting to get this kind of ā€œsupportā€. Who do they think their users are? The person that gave you this ā€œadviseā€ should be fired on the spot for wasting your time.

1 Like

Thatā€™s purposeful. They no longer have to talk or troubleshoot

No one working at ST use TTS at home? Really??? Really??? REALLY???

Get used to it. Last time the TTS went down, it was gone for almost a yearā€¦

Hey @Greg Iā€™m glad you found and reported this, hopefully it will be resolved soon. You are always on top of these things. I hate that they blame custom apps like Big Talker anytime an issue comes up. The actual error is a failing documented API call to their textToSpeech() function. The IDE is so easy to throw a quick test together and simply check that function or check a stock app that also calls the same function. It sure would be nice if they would do that before blaming community developers and their SmartApps for what turns out to be platform issues.

RantOn / SuggestionOn
Perhaps before Support blames community SmartApps/Developers a simple IM exchange to a backend team such as the following could happen: Agent:ā€œHey, Iā€™ve got a report of an error that I have not seen beforeā€¦ Is there a platform/backend issue related to this? (quote error message)ā€. BackEnd: ā€œLet me run a quick checkā€. Runs the community SmartApp or a supported SmartThings app that calls the same function. BackEnd: ā€œYea, Iā€™m seeing it too, weā€™ll get on thatā€. Agent to Customer: ā€œWe are seeing this too it seems. Thanks for reporting it, we are working to resolve it and will get back to you ā€¦ yada yada yadaā€.
Especially with all of the random platform issues that occur so oftenā€¦ But seriously, donā€™t default to pointing blame and giving community SmartApp contributors bad names/reputations.
RantOff / SuggestionOff

5 Likes

Does anyone have an update on this issue? I lost my text to speech on my smart alarm, weather forecast, talking alarm, and big talker.
The only app I can get working is mood music. Does anyone no why mood music would work and not the others?

Thanks

Perhaps because it plays music, rather than speech?

2 Likes

My apologies its speaker notify with sound that works not mood music.

1 Like

If youā€™re playing selected sound files (Bell1, Bell2, Dogs Barking, etc) it will work.
If you choose ā€œCustom Messageā€ then it calls the same function that everything else is that is currently broken textToSpeech(). Custom Message should be broken in this app just like all the others (unless the issue is intermittent. Iā€™m seeing more and more complaints about this issue though throughout the forums)

case "Custom Message":
			if (message) {
				state.sound = textToSpeech(message instanceof List ? message[0] : message) // not sure why this is (sometimes) needed)
			}
			else {
				state.sound = textToSpeech("You selected the custom message option but did not enter a message in the $app.label Smart App")
			}
			break;
2 Likes

I was reinstalling my Sonos and everything this morning trying to find why my announcements were not workingā€¦should have come here first. Hopefully we get a support update.