[Resolved?] Check Your Installed Parent/Child Apps

That’s always been true. I’ve been dissecting the Android binary on my rooted devices since the first Android release. I especially like that they include the email address of the geofence developer in plain text. :rolling_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m a network engineer, you scare me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What should scare you is someone using the app to rely on security features (i.e., locks) and using it on a open WiFi out in public - don’t shoot the messenger… :innocent::spy:

3 Likes

If someone wants that bad to get in someone else’s house that they need to hack their way in, then no security system will keep them away. They will find a way to get in no matter what.

1 Like

Ah heck… Smart Locks are not the big risk factor that everyone makes them out to be! A burglar is much more likely to force entry, bump key, lock pick, etc., than try to hack the connection.

A smart/connected garage door is a much bigger risk, since a wide open garage door is much more obvious and an invitation to theft or invasion.

I also wonder about those folks that put up the security warning lawn signs or window stickers from their vendors (“Protected by XFinity Home”) as that gives any (rare) sophisticated intruders a lot of information on what type of system they need to disarm.

1 Like

The signage is the same as hacking. Is not intended to deter a sophisticated intrusion, but to scare the petty burglar who’d probably pick the next house instead of messing around with a security system.

1 Like

Yup… So should we put some pressure on SmartThings to please create (or give us Trademark permission to create) a “This home protected by SmartThings” sign?

Using another vendor’s sign is trademark or copyright infringement. Using a “generic” sign seems like a weaker deterrent than a vendor logo.

No need.

9 Likes

Oh how I agree. You want my stuff, come get it. But just be ready for the fight.
You want my identity, take it. Maybe you can get me a cheaper rate on my mortgage and bring my credit score up.

If they want it, they will find a way to get it.

But it is true, the vulnerabilities are astounding.

I like to keep a range target with yardage set up in my front yard. Try disarm Mr Winchester and Mr Ruger.

I have a sign in my yard, and window stickers.
It does not correspond to the brand of my security system.

Signs put off the common burglar.
Signs that don’t correspond to your system frustrate the sophisticated burglar. Hopefully.

As for the original topic, this is a great argument for keeping a screenful of simple icons handy.

1 Like

Or we can use this…

3 Likes

Nice, an new un-documented requirement for parent child apps, gets rolled into production with no external heads up.
And yet it can’t have been that new since smart lighting doesn’t implode when creating a new child…

Secret API for SL and SHM. The rest of us are screwed.

1 Like

Well on the plus side, if we do get those attributes, they appear to support app versioning…

Oh whoop de doo.

There’s a weird new check box in the IDE today about child apps. Doesn’t do anything, but it showed up today.

1 Like

Maybe they are looking for us to leave since we complain too much.

2 Likes

OK, I’ll take Rule Machine with me though… :grinning:

4 Likes

I bet the directive stated something like get your internal crap together and then worry about the damn community.

Nothing new that I see, unless you’re meaning the platform selection in the solution module section?