Reset hub = fixed multiple problems = remove Batteries

I’ve been having problems with many routines over the last 3-4 months. Lights stopped coming on at sunset. Motion senors didn’t active lights. I went back and forth with email tech support, but it seems after the first round (write above this line) I didn’t hear back from them…fail!
So…putting up Christmas lights, all on ST plugs. On at sunset, off at 11PM = not working. I tried all the solutions the emails suggested. Cycle power on hub. Deleted routines, and redo. Deleted devices and redo. Change my home to a different time zone…nothing worked.
So I CALLED. Got very knowledgeable support guy named Patrick. He looked at my ST, and saw my 40-50 devices…and saw that my “1am shutdown” worked. He suggested, not just unplugging my Hub, but removing the batteries. As far as I remember the suggestion to remove the batteries for a reset is not online?
Worked! He even stayed on the call while we waited 2 minutes for it to work!
I have a rare muscle disease and I do like ST, because it allows me to control my environment when I am partially paralyzed, or just too weak… So I have to do things in spirts …like Christmas decorations, and lights. Plus Im a gadget freak…

I’m not clear how you can power cycle a V2 hub without removing the batteries, they provide battery backup in case of power failure. I don’t have the batteries installed just so I can power cycle if I want to, and also because they’ve got a reputation for being a bit leaky.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207626796-How-do-I-reboot-the-SmartThings-Hub- is one place it talks about removing the batteries.

1 Like

Nothing about batteries! Power and ethernet…CABLES!
" To reboot the SmartThings Hub (2018)

Follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the power and ethernet cables from the Hub
  2. Wait 2-3 minutes
  3. Reconnect the power and ethernet cables
  4. When the Hub is back online, its LED will turn solid green"

The support site is a little confusing. There is a tab for the v3(2018) hub and v2(2015). The v2 tab lists the steps properly.

To reboot the SmartThings Hub v2 (2015)

Follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the power and ethernet cables from the Hub
  2. Remove the 4 AA batteries (if installed)
  3. Wait 2-3 minutes
  4. Reinstall the batteries (optional but recommended)
  5. Reconnect the power and ethernet cables
  6. When the Hub is back online, its LED will turn solid green
3 Likes

Yep, I’m all over it now, thanks. I’m wondering they never mentioned it in the email support…just unplugging. I’ve had the v2 hub so long I forgot it even had batteries. I had the “welcome code” from the box taped to the back…just in case.

1 Like