[REMOVED] Nest Manager 4.0

Is there anyway to use the nest cam motion sensor to trigger lights in Nest Manager? I am able to do this with Stringify but would like to keep my automation to as less apps as possible.

Is there a way – and if not, this might be an interesting idea – to pass through notifications triggered by the Nest Cam, and then use those notifications to trigger SmartApps?

For example, I’m using a Nest Cam as a baby monitor. I receive an alert whenever that cam detects a sound. It would be handy if that event triggered “Speaker Notify with Sound” to alert me, “Sound was detected in Baby X’s room.”

I think I can accomplish this using Nest’s Strigify/IFTTT integration to trigger a momentary button tile. But a more native/real-time solution would be much for effective.

UPDATE: I got the speaker notifications to work using IFTTT. For some reason the Stringify recipe was erroring out, and not reliable. And the IFTTT recipe is a bit slow to respond to notifications from the Nest Cam (or perhaps the Nest Cam is slow to report to IFTTT).

I have tried IFTTT but its kinda slow as I want to use the motion sensor to turn on ligjhts and it takes more than a minute. Stringify works faster for me but then you are using sound.

@jseaton
I tried ifttt and had high hopes but the delay was quite inconsistent. I’m working on some other options for more realtime updates. I’m not sure they will be included in v5.0 though.

2 Likes

Forgive me if I’ve missed this through this thread or one of the other previous threads. My searches didn’t reveal a direct answer.

Is there a way to get the Nest Cam, via Nest Manager, to show up as a selectable camera in Smart Home Monitor? So if a open/close sensor is triggered, it can turn on my camera for however long it’s configured for.

It doesn’t appear so, which is odd because the Echo recognizes it as a camera in my routines. I had to create a virtual switch for the routine so I could trigger it with the Echo.

It’s not possible to use this with SHM. I can get it to show up in SHM as an option but not actually record anything. Currently it requires access to the restricted video core service running on the hub itself. There is no known way currently to access this feature.

You shouldn’t need to create a virtual switch as the camera has the switch capability.

Amazon has implemented restrictions in regard to the routines it has access to.

If a ST routine utilizes the “Set SHM to,” “Open or close garage doors” or has a camera “switch,” then the routine appears as “disabled” in the Amazon Echo UI.

This routine has a garage door control:

And this one controls the camera switch:

The workaround that I have found is to create virtual switches for these routines. As far as Alexa knows, it’s controlling a standard switch. But that switch triggers a routine once the command is passed to ST.

That’s interesting
 I didn’t know that it was blocking cameras

I’m pretty sure it only applies to camera controls that are in routines. I can control the camera and garage door on their own via Alexa; it’s the routines that give a fit.

And unfortunately, the only way I know to tie a routine to a VS is via Alexa Helper.

A little more info:
https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/210204906-Amazon-Alexa-SmartThings-Routines-Beta-

In this Beta, Alexa will only support Routines containing thermostat (US only) and lighting devices. This means your existing Routines may not work if they have an unsupported device. Unsupported devices include: door locks, garage door openers, security systems, security devices (such as sirens), cameras, and smart cooking appliances.

1 Like

I seem to be unable to update the Device Type Handler for the Nest Protect. I keep getting a notification in my Smartthings App, but when I go to the IDE to update from Repository, there’s nothing there (nothing in Obsolete, nothing in Conflicted, and nothing in New. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the answer @jseaton.

@tonesto7, I think being able to trigger the Nest Cam to turn on would be a good idea. Most Nest Cam users have Nest Aware, so we could just use that for the actual recording portion. I was hoping to have SHM activate it for the length of time then turn it back off.

I don’t disagree but it needs to be something easy for end users to configure. We are actively investigating options because it’s something I’ve been wanting for quite a while.

1 Like

@tonesto7 I just noticed that my Nest hasn’t had communication with your app since 2/23. Is there anything I can do to try to get them back in sync or do I need to just un-install and then re-install?

Are you seeing any errors in the IDE live logs?

This is the live logging from Nest Manager just adjusting the temp up a few times in SmartThings.

gsClear
3cee7a1e-0b59-47f3-9882-3acdc3d199ba 10:39:19 PM: info ||| Nest Manager | Replacing in Queue 1 (qsize: 1): 4pba68Pk3xucNMDwmSymrsn7UfMulpEX, devices/thermostats, target_temperature_f, 81, 4pba68Pk3xucNMDwmSymrsn7UfMulpEX
3cee7a1e-0b59-47f3-9882-3acdc3d199ba 10:39:19 PM: warn ||Nest Manager | Command Matches last in queue 1 - Replacing
3cee7a1e-0b59-47f3-9882-3acdc3d199ba 10:39:19 PM: debug Nest Manager | setTargetTemp: 4pba68Pk3xucNMDwmSymrsn7UfMulpEX | (81)F | virtual false
3cee7a1e-0b59-47f3-9882-3acdc3d199ba 10:38:52 PM: warn ||Nest Manager | workQueue: busy processing command
3cee7a1e-0b59-47f3-9882-3acdc3d199ba 10:38:52 PM: trace ||Nest Manager | workQueue Run queue: 0 async
3cee7a1e-0b59-47f3-9882-3acdc3d199ba 10:38:39 PM: info ||| Nest Manager | Replacing in Queue 1 (qsize: 1): 4pba68Pk3xucNMDwmSymrsn7UfMulpEX, devices/thermostats, target_temperature_f, 78, 4pba68Pk3xucNMDwmSymrsn7UfMulpEX
3cee7a1e-0b59-47f3-9882-3acdc3d199ba 10:38:39 PM: warn ||Nest Manager | Command Matches last in queue 1 - Replacing
3cee7a1e-0b59-47f3-9882-3acdc3d199ba 10:38:39 PM: debug Nest Manager | setTargetTemp: 4pba68Pk3xucNMDwmSymrsn7UfMulpEX | (78)F | virtual false

There should be more in the logs than this.

Are you running the current version?

Leave “Live Logging” running in a window, and go to the ST mobile app, select SmartApps, where you see
Nest manager in your list of smart apps and hit the “play” button next to it.

You likely want to PM us the logs vs posting them all here. We need to see them all when you do this.

OK will do.

Just curious if a patch is still in the works for the renaming issue?

my bad
 I got side tracked and forgot about this. V5.0 will likely be released in the next couple weeks which will address this.