[REMOVED] Nest Manager 4.0

FYI, Nest is going to be changing the way Auto-Away, Away modes work as it now being labeled “Eco”. Full explanation here. I would imagine the Nest Manager app will need to be updated to reflect the new language, although most of the changes seem cosmetic in nature. It sounds like they are still keeping the Home-Away modes which would then launch the Eco temperatures on all thermostats. Seems to make sense as now you can enjoy the “Away” temperatures when at home on a single thermostat without putting the entire house and other thermostats in that mode.

Just updated and rebuilt my automations and it looks great!

Only issue I see is that 4.0.X doesn’t like that I changed the names of some devices (quite awhile ago) and asks me to change the name in the IDE or in mobile app. Both places correctly show the changed names of these devices.

Preferences > Device Customization > Device Names >
“Found: Hallway Thermostat
Name does not match what is expected. Name should be Nest Thermostat Hallway”

Repeat for all 7 Protects

Again for custom named Weather Device
"Found Weather KWAXXXX25

Name does not match what is expected. Name should be: Nest Weather (pws:KWAXXXX25)"

Is it only battery status nest protest that you can add to smarttiles? Or is it possible to add the status off each device? Like it says in things, clear and so on?

I’m not sure I understand your question.

The nest protect does report battery status per protect. Other apps should see its standard battery status.

Note that nest reports ok / replace, so you won’t see the “go down over time”. It will just change.

Sorry, was trying to post in on smarttiles topic, thanks anyway :grinning:

Thanks for the reply. I was setting up today and was curious about something.

I chose Remote Sensors and was going to set schedules, but after trying that for a bit 4 just wasn’t enough for me as I have it change 4 times + away weekdays + 3 times on weekends. (hubby does varying shift work as well and we are picky about temps)

I went back to the main screen for Remote Temps and saw the the Desired Default (for use when no schedules set) was using my current set point from my Nest Schedule. Once I set this will that remain a constant number? (This is what I think will happen)

Or will it use the Nest setpoint at various times during the day. (So it will change as the Nest schedule changes). That would address everything since the only option I want is for it to use the Average of a number of sensors.

Thanks

Regarding Nest Home/Away…

I loved the feature and set it up but its not doing what its supposed to (I think)

I set it up with the Modes that mean Home and the Modes that mean Away. It shows me the correct current Mode which should have it Home. But it says Status:(Auto-Away).

Does this mean that something is overriding this feature? I’m wondering if Nest itself is overriding since it goes into AutoAway when no one walks by the thermostat for awhile and my hubby is home sleeping for night shift.

I have logged into Nest to verify and yes, it is currently Away.

Question in regards to the update. Does the update include motion based schedules Meaning, that if motion is detect on a selected motion sensor set temp to X but if no motion is detected set temp to Y? If so how would i go about setting that up? Thanks!

The default temperature for remote sensor is a “fall back” temp. It is a setting (i.e. it is not always the current temp, it defaulted to the current temp when it was setup).

Your use case sounds like you may want more schedules. You should PM tony and ensure he understands the use case in deciding how many should be enabled.

Auto-away is a nest “operation” that they change home to auto-away based on lack of motion. From NM view, auto-away is the same as away.

If you don’t want nest to set auto-away, you can disable that in the nest mobile app or on the nest website.

NM does not have “control” over auto-away, but we have to deal with it (which we do by treating it as away)

The update does allow a schedule to have
normal temps xxx, yyy

and motion temps
aaa, bbb

The motion sensor and temps are optional to a schedule, but if they are set, it can adjust the temps in use based on motion if that schedule is active.

1 Like

Thank you I will give a try!

I am using Nest Manager version 2.09.

Everything works fine.
Should I risk migrating to this version???

You’re behind, way WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY behind. There have been significant and MAJOR updates to everything about Nest Manager. Things that also help stability and reliability (largely issues caused by the ST platform, not Nest Manager).

It’s a big upgrade and you’ll need to pay careful attention to the upgrade instructions.

2 Likes

4.0 seems to the best release yet as no major bugs have been reported and it’s been reliable. Go for it.

2 Likes

We would strongly suggest you upgrade

1 Like

##NEW Feature: Ask Alexa Thermostat Reporting
As of yesterday @MichaelS released v2.1.8b of Ask Alexa which includes Nest Manager Report integration feature.
All you will need to do is enable the device specific command under Ask Alexa and turn on Nest Manager Reports for this new feature to work.

To invoke the reports simple ask “Alexa, ask Smartthings for ‘your thermostat name’ report”

###There is no need to update as this feature was enabled remotely in Nest Manager and should work as soon as it’s activated under AskAlexa app.

2 Likes

Technically you have to “Ask SmartThings for TSTAT report”. Where TSTAT is the name of your Nest Thermostat. Otherwise, great app. Highly recommend Nest Manager.

1 Like

Thanks i added the text but had it between <> so it wasn’t shown

1 Like

Hi - have this working and thing the app etc are great…

One thing - being in the UK, it would be great to be able to have a way to boost the hot water for x minutes. Ideally at some point I’d use this with echo to allow me to shout at Alexa to boost the hot water…

Is this possible?

2 Likes