Removal of Undocumented Device Type Data Storage Option - 1/19/2017

Just checked it again and its now working, not sure what changed but I am happy!

Hmm @gausnes I’m guessing you guys made the change finally from key to tempImageKey because it’s stopped working and now I see this:

[‘index’:‘17’, ‘mac’:‘E8ABFA1C2B5D’, ‘ip’:‘C0A801F6’, ‘port’:‘0058’, ‘requestId’:‘5cf1f7a3-9f99-4081-88e9-e7f5f59446ca’, ‘tempImageKey’:‘7a9497e0-91a8-4dfe-9b76-68b7721806c8’]

Please confirm if this is a permanent change and also request an update to my earlier question about how to use getImage(String key) and how long the image stays on the S3?

Yes this change is permanent and just went out.

I can look into the getImage method over the weekend when I get back.

The method is pretty simple though. It uses the name the image was stored with to hit S3 then consumes and closes the object to return a ByteArrayInputStream of the image data.

2 Likes

Got it, that was the missing piece. Thanks! It’s working.

1 Like

How are changes like this “key” to “tempImageKey” announced in general? I keep finding out reactively when my automation breaks and I have to troubleshoot it.

Agreed…this is getting tiring chasing unknown breakages in API. Please have a deprecation and notification process.

Doesn’t this thread count as an announcement?

2 Likes

@gausnes just a heads up with the API changes, the ST Android app now longer shows the images stored in the “recently” tab. Something in the change has broken the ST Android app. It’s still working on the iOS app though.

I have a ticket open with ST support, but they are claiming that it’s a Custom Device Driver/App problem, in spite of the fact that it’s multiple device drivers from different developers and multiple apps, at least one that ST themselves published. (They are, evidently, going to remove their "Photo Burst When… " app now.)

Which device handler works on iOS but not Android?

I have made a ticket about this issue for our Mobile team FWIW

3 Likes

The Foscam DH it’s a custom DH was working earlier on both but with the API changes its behavior has changed.

Anyone hear any progress on this? Are Smartthings techs actually looking at it?

Are you asking about the issues with the Android client not display images under the Recently tab?

1 Like

Yes. As far as I know there is no way to view images that were taken in an automated process, like a SmartApp without being able to review them in the device’s “Recent” tab.

1 Like

The images should still be available to view through the image carousel, I’m not sure if that is implemented in the DTH you are using. Unfortunately our mobile team has a lot on their plate, so the tickets I made have yet to be claimed by a developer.

1 Like

Did the work around stop working? I lost carousel images a couple days ago. I switched to the tempImageKey method a couple weeks ago. It was working fine. I can’t recall what might have changed since then other than a hub update.

I just did a spot check and storeTempImage is still working in the DTH I created to test this functionality. Do you have any more specifics? If you want to PM your ST email, I can take a look at our logs.

1 Like

Thanks. Let me run a couple tests first. I need to check the hub logs etc to make sure that everything looks ok. . . .

1 Like

It was an authentication error on my end. I upgraded the nvr and I guess the smart app failed to reauthenticate. I’ll fix that. . . . Thanks for confirming that it still works.

1 Like