Reminder Based on Weather?

Hello all,

I’m trying to find a way to set up a reminder to water the grass. Say, if it hasn’t rained more than X inches in X days, or something more simple than that.

I have the SmartWeather tile and updater app set up, getting data from a nearby Weather Undeground station. (I was going to get my own weather station and then realized someone else had one down the street.) The tile works well, but I can’t seem to find a way to use that data to automate anything that would serve my purpose. Sending text messages, for example, is only attached to Smart Home Monitor, which has limited options, and the SmartRules app doesn’t have anything for precipitation as far as I can tell.

Is there a way to do this via SmartThings that I’m missing? Or another smart app someone’s developed maybe?

If someone knows of a non-SmartThings way to do this, that would be appreciated too. Keeping it in SmartThings is convenient for things I might want to do in the future, but not technically necessary for now I suppose.

Thanks!

Take a look at this app. It should do what you need. If not all in that thread and we will help you out.

1 Like

What is the device handler you use for the weather tile?

Sorry, I’m not super clear on the terminology, but all I’ve done so far is install the Smart Weather Station Tile (a “device”), and then install the Smart Weather Station Controller from RBoyApps (a “smart app”). I don’t have any Device Handlers installed at my end that relate to the weather tile. (I don’t know the details of how this all works, I just know how to follow instructions :p)

That’s ok, how did you install the Smart Weather Tile?

I followed the instructions under item 19 here:

Though I also changed one of the preferences to connect it to the nearest Weather Underground station to me.