[RELEASED] Beta testers needed for my SmartThings + Augmented Reality (AR) app - Smart AR Home

Hi,
I am finally back from vacation and I finished home map reconstruction based on the augmented reality data. So instead of a flat plane, you can now scan the floor and walls of your home to position devices more accurately in 3D view. Feature is available in the beta version, so all people that signed up to beta can try it. Please share your feedback, things you hate and things you like so I can improve it :slight_smile:

It’s not a perfect home map, like I would imagine 3D reconstruction should do, but hopefully it’s better than just a one flat plane.

Hi,
The house map generation is ready and live so I thought I will share a video how it can be used.

On the video I started with default 3D view where I can control devices by look at my house “map”. Then I synchronized with the augmented reality, using synchronization point that I selected during initial setup. After synchronization the app loaded all of the devices at the right positions. From here I can walk around the house, switch between 3D and AR view and play with the devices.

Smart devices:

• SmartThings light switches
  • Hue Lights lamp light

App:

I apologize for the mess in the house, we are still remodeling. :slight_smile: Thanks again for trying the app!

The grid I feel should cover the whole floor plan. take a look.

The gird is the default floor if you don’t set up your house map. If you are on the latest version already, please try in the AR View “Home map” option. Scan your floor and walls and click save when you are happy. That will remove grid you see and replace with actual floor planes.

A little more detail on scanning walls and floors. As is once I add my devices, come back and the devices are not where they were when I added them.

Thank you for letting me know. Are they moved a little bit or completely in different location?

Completely different location. One in another room, another on the opposite side of the room. I tried the room scanning feature, and couldn’t get it to work. All I was able to see was weird shapes on the screen when I aimed at a wall or floor. Maybe I am doing this wrong.

First off, this is REALLY cool. Thanks for all the time you put into this.

As far as feedback. It seems to get confused sometimes. I went around the house and mapped all the lights I have setup with smart switches. Then went to a different part of the house, and everything was moved around. I found my sync point and it got things sorted. All that to say, it seems like it could benefit from multiple sync points.

As far as sync points, I first tried with a relatively big picture, the app would not get past “Looking for sync point” When I used a small picture it worked right away, so it seems like the size of the picture makes a big difference.

I’m using a galaxy S9+