SmartThings Community

[Released] ADT Tools 2 for Smartthings ADT alarm sytsems

Did you complete the optional step to install SHM and then remove it prior to the install of ADT Tools?

No I did not, and I do not see SMT as an available Smart App to install. How do I go about finding it and installing? Must I uninstall ADT Tools 2 first?

Thanks!!

Uninstalling ADT Tools won’t help. Smart Home monitor is removed from the list of apps once you add the ADT Smartthings Panel to the location. You will need to follow steps to effectively trick Smartthings into letting you install it before the ADT Hub is on the location.

I believe the steps are to 1. Create new location in smartthings. 2. Install Smart Home Monitor from the list of apps. 3. Move all of your devices from one location to the other including the hub.

Is there a way to create virtual buttons for panic events on the ADT panel? I have the Mode Virtual buttons up and working already, but don’t see anything about the 3 panic buttons on the ADT panel.

There is no way to send a panic alert to the ADT Side from Smartthings. You will either need to do it at the panel or with the ADT Smartthings keyfob.

@Mavrrick58 Can I use ADT Tools with separate V3 ST hub and have it still know the alarm status? I want to use the panel for the security system, but I also own a standalone hub that I want to use as my ST hub mainly because I want my hub connected via ethernet.

Also something else I’m finding conflicting information on is using z wave devices to trigger alarms. I understand I can’t use them with monitoring, but can a device trigger a local alarm?

Thanks!

If you know of a way they can both run on the same location it may be possible. Honestly i haven’t had a desire to test it since i have had good success with the panel working well as the main hub.

The simple answer is yes. More details about why it is.

With ADT Tools you can setup alert actions that look at zwave/zigbee sensors as triggers, and determine if to act based on the alarm state of the ADT Panel. This means it doesn’t really trigger the ADT Alarm, but triggers the external alert actions based on if the alarm is armed. You can specify as part of that alert action to trigger a external siren.

One thing you need to be aware of though when setting this up is that there are a few nuances to it’s setup. By default ADT tools doesn’t really expect to manage entry or exit delays. The ADT Panel does that. A feature was added a while back that allows ADT Tools to keep the location alarm state(SHM) status in sync. That function also has a delay value.That feature allows you the option to set a delay and create a psuedo exit delay. Then depending on your siren they may have a delay function in them to before they sound.

The easiest option is to use all ADT sensors and such and let the alarm function as it is designed to. If you choose to go down this route though I still suggest for your main entry and exit points to use the ADT/Smartthings dual branded sensors and let it manage the entry and exit delays. Then allow the other sensors to manage points that don’t need that functionality.

You are probably causing yourself a LOT more problems than you are solving. If your WiFi is that unreliable, fix that. I know some folks prefer wired ethernet, I used to be one of them… WiFi can, and often is quite reliable when set up correctly.

If you already have the ADT Security Hub, use that for all of it. Yes, I find the lack of an ethernet port a bit disconcerting myself, but I quickly grew to not even give it a second thought…

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I wouldn’t care at all about the delay functionality if these adt door sensors weren’t so big and terrible-looking. I guess the simplicity of setup and reliability will win out and I’ll use them for my main doors.

As far as the second hub, I had read that some people were having WiFi issues with smart things, but I guess I’ll deal with later is it arises.

My panel arrived today so I’m excited to start using ADT tools!

I have been attempting to get ADT Tools 2 to work for a couple of weeks now and I thought I had everything setup correctly but I am running into an issue adding new ADT/Smart Things Sensors to my account…it just freezes and puts the alarm panel in a mode where it cant be armed.

From reading it looks like I need to maintain the synchronization between Smartthings ADT alarm panel and location alarm state and I have that turned on…any advice?

ADT Tools shouldn’t effect your ability to add sensors to your hub. I would suggest you reach out to support.

The location alarm state is used to allow regular zwave/zigbee sensors to have a psuedo exit delay, or enable other apps to interface with the ADT Panel Alarm State through older functionality used by Smart Home Monitor. It should have nothing to do with your current issue.

I would suggest a call to support.

Is there anyway to sync the panel codes with coded locks? I have some Kwikset 910s and this feature is the only thing I’m missing from my days with Vivint.

The panel codes are managed in the alarm side of the system and Smartthings has no exposure to it. So unfortunately no.

Is it possible to have my smartthings/ADT security manager monitor the state of my kwickset doorlocks (which are already connected to smartthings via z-wave). Basically, I want to NOT be able to arm the ADT security until it verifies that all door locks are locked. I know it mainly monitors just ADT sensors - but maybe somehow it can also monitor & check doorlocks?

I don’t think this would be easy to do with the ADT side of things. I don’t think you’re going to be able to have it stop you from arming. Closest you could do would be to have automation that immediately changes it to disarmed if any of the locks are unlocked (could do this with a webCoRE piston, but there might be other options), but this will always cause a problem for you if you’re trying to arm when leaving the house anyway?

I have an August lock and wanted there to be an integration as well. I have two things setup:

1. an IFTTT rule that automatically disarms my ADT Panel when my lock is unlocked by specific people - this uses the ADT Tools button to disarm the lock, and means my door is unlocked and alarm disarmed as soon as I approach the door.

2. a webCoRE piston that is triggered when my alarm is armed. It waits 60 seconds to match the exit delay, then locks my door. Checks to make sure it locked successfully, and sends me a notification that the front door has been locked. This way I always know the door is locked when the alarm is armed.

Just sending this along as a thought, because having automation to lock your locks when armed might be more convenient than just stopping you from arming.

Good luck.

That is actually a really good thought, and I do like the idea of just locking the locks when I arm the system. I have used IFTTT, and have ADT tools & ADT tools 2 installed - but i have never used webCoRE. Is it similiar to IFTTT?

More involved than IFTTT. Basically have to write some code to do what you want. They make it really easy, but you still have to understand the logic. Great thing is that there is a lot of info out there on how to add it and use it. Getting a bit off topic though, so just send me a direct message if you want more info on what I have for that part of things. I’m no expert, but happy to share what I know.

Thanks jczippy. I was able to get webCoRE & child apps installed, and published via my IDE login. And I see where you can build custom pistons for it. You dont by any chance have a specific piston (code) I can just dump in for this type of setup do you? Thanks again,

Sent the info via Message directly to you. Just reply there if you have any questions.

Yea… the integration ADT Tools does can’t really stop the alarm from arming based on external status. we could add functionality though to trigger certain actions based on the alarm mode changing. so in theory it could trigger the alarm when armed to lock the doors. Does that sound like something we would be interested it.