[OBSOLETE] Zooz Water Sensor (ZSE30)

I won’t be converting the Zooz Water Sensor ZSE30 into an Edge Driver so it will stop working once the Groovy platform is retired, but it doesn’t need a custom driver.

This is a device handler for the Zooz Water Sensor (Model: ZSE30)

There are multiple settings that allow you to customize the alarm and reminders:

• Audible Alarm Enabled? - Allows you to disable the audible alarm and just flash the red LED when it detects water.

• Alarm First Beep Duration - The amount of time the audible alarm and/or LED flashes when it initially detects water.

• Alarm Beep Duration - The amount of time the audible alarm and/or LED flashes as a reminder.

• Alarm Beep Interval - The interval between the beeps while water is detected.

• Total Alarm Duration - Determines total duration of audio/visual alarm each time water is detected.

Screenshots

This device sleeps so after updating the settings you have to wake it up by pressing the button inside for about 1/2 second. If you’ve successfully woken the device up, the red LED will flash once.

10 Likes

Anyone with experience with these sensor? I have a couple of questions, how is the battery life? and what are the best settings? thanks

I’ve added the code and published it. I then tried to add my sensor as a new device trhough my iPhone and it still isn’t finding it. I also tried to add the device manually through my laptop through “My Devices”. I finally found through my iPhone and added it but when I trip the sensor, I don’t show the status changing. Doesn’t seem to be working? Any suggestions?

Hi Steve, if you can send a screenshot of how the sensor shows up in the app for you to our support team, they’ll be able to help you configure it correctly: https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pages/contact-us

If you’re still having problems, open the device in the IDE and verify that the correct device handler is assigned to it.

Are you testing it with the contacts on the devices or the external sensor that attaches to it?

Thanks for making this, it seems to work well for me.

Wondering about the sensor itself, has anyone tried adding an extension wire to the remote sensor? The use case is for the remote sensor to sit behind the fridge so it will go off if the supply line for the ice maker leaks, but the main sensor body is in a place where I can get at it (e.g. to replace the battery) without moving the whole refrigerator. Seems as though it should work OK…

Hi Marc,

You should be OK as long as the extension doesn’t run too long (up to 3-4 feet is fine) because the extra resistance may affect signal communication.

Feel free to contact our customer service with any issues you experience with the installation: https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pages/contact-us

1 Like

I have added (created, saved and published) the Zooz Water Sensor Device Handler 1.0.4 but the ST hub is not recognizing my sensor using add a thing. I am waking the sensor and pushing the internal button to get the LED light to flash but the app still spins looking for devices. I have the sensor right next to the hub. Anything else to try?

I emailed the Zooz support team and received the following (that allowed me to connect the sensor):

It’s possible that the water sensor needs to be reset in order to include correctly. Please try the following and let us know if it helped:

1. Tap the menu icon in your SmartThings app
  2. Tap Hub is online
  3. Tap Z-Wave Utilities
  4. Tap General Device Exclusion
  5. The app will show this message: “Please follow the manufacturer’s instructions to remove the Z-Wave device from My SmartThings.” There will also be a spinning circle next to the message “Exclusion Mode Active”
  6. While Exclusion Mode is active, click the Z-Wave button on the Water Sensor 4-5 very quickly
  7. The app will confirm device exclusion
  8. Tap Done

Once exclusion is completed, please try adding the device again by clicking on Add Thing in the ST app and clicking the Z-Wave button on the sensor 4-5 times as quickly as possible.

Support Team

3 Likes

I have both a Dome and Zooz Water Sensor. The Zooz Water Sensor does not close the Water Valve. (The Dome does). It appears as though there is a smartapp for the Dome Water Sensor. I am not finding anything similar for the Zooz Water Sensor. What have I missed?

You should be able to use the leak section of Smart Home Monitor to detect when there’s a leak and turn off the valve. That should work with both devices.

Yup, I have the “leak section” configured to shut off the water valve, turn a light on, and send a text msg. The dome sensor does all three. The Zooz sensor only sends txt msgs that the valve was closed and the light turned on. However, neither those events actually occurred. (Kind of peculiar)

The water sensor tells SmartThings there’s a leak and SmartThings performs the light and valve actions.

The device has no knowledge of those actions and devices can’t communicate with other devices directly so I’m not sure how the water sensor could prevent the actions from being performed.

Are you performing the same actions on the same devices for both water sensors?

The sensor states seem to be reversed. Mine displays Wet when it’s dry and vice versa. Alerts seem to work as expected though (when it displays Dry everything else in ST acts like it’s wet…) I guess I could have a messed up sensor or something… I’m hesitant to fork the handler and adjust for a one off issue though. Thought I would see if anyone else has this problem.

At the very bottom of the DTH there’s a line that starts with “// log.trace”, remove the slashes from the front of it, publish the changes, open live logging, wet the device, wait for it to report the second status which is supposed to be dry, and then post the live logging data.

1 Like

Edited: Hmmm… maybe it was something off with the initial state after updating the handler… idk. Once I put it in the water and pulled it out (with logging enabled) the correct state started to display.

Here are the logs just in case:

12:34:39 PM: trace SensorBinaryReport: SensorBinaryReport(sensorType: 6, sensorValue: 0)
12:34:39 PM: trace Creating Event: [name:water, value:dry, displayed:true, isStateChange:true]
12:34:39 PM: debug Sensor is Dry
12:34:39 PM: trace NotificationReport: NotificationReport(event: 0, eventParameter: [2], eventParametersLength: 1, notificationStatus: 255, notificationType: 5, reserved61: 0, sequence: false, v1AlarmLevel: 0, v1AlarmType: 0, zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0)
12:34:31 PM: debug The sensor data will be refreshed the next time the device wakes up. You can force the device to wake up immediately by pressing the connect button once.
12:34:28 PM: trace Creating Event: [name:water, value:wet, displayed:true, isStateChange:true]
12:34:28 PM: debug Sensor is Wet
12:34:28 PM: trace NotificationReport: NotificationReport(event: 2, eventParameter: [], eventParametersLength: 0, notificationStatus: 255, notificationType: 5, reserved61: 0, sequence: false, v1AlarmLevel: 0, v1AlarmType: 0, zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0)
12:34:12 PM: debug The sensor data will be refreshed the next time the device wakes up. You can force the device to wake up immediately by pressing the connect button once.
12:33:54 PM: trace Creating Event: [name:water, value:dry, displayed:true, isStateChange:true]
12:33:54 PM: debug Sensor is Dry
12:33:54 PM: trace NotificationReport: NotificationReport(event: 0, eventParameter: [2], eventParametersLength: 1, notificationStatus: 255, notificationType: 5, reserved61: 0, sequence: false, v1AlarmLevel: 0, v1AlarmType: 0, zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0)
12:33:54 PM: trace SensorBinaryReport: SensorBinaryReport(sensorType: 6, sensorValue: 0)
12:33:43 PM: trace SensorBinaryReport: SensorBinaryReport(sensorType: 6, sensorValue: 255)
12:33:43 PM: trace Creating Event: [name:water, value:wet, displayed:true, isStateChange:true]
12:33:43 PM: debug Sensor is Wet
12:33:43 PM: trace NotificationReport: NotificationReport(event: 2, eventParameter: [], eventParametersLength: 0, notificationStatus: 255, notificationType: 5, reserved61: 0, sequence: false, v1AlarmLevel: 0, v1AlarmType: 0, zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0)
12:33:23 PM: trace SensorBinaryReport: SensorBinaryReport(sensorType: 6, sensorValue: 0)
12:33:23 PM: trace Creating Event: [name:water, value:dry, displayed:true, isStateChange:true]
12:33:23 PM: debug Sensor is Dry
12:33:23 PM: trace NotificationReport: NotificationReport(event: 0, eventParameter: [2], eventParametersLength: 1, notificationStatus: 255, notificationType: 5, reserved61: 0, sequence: false, v1AlarmLevel: 0, v1AlarmType: 0, zensorNetSourceNodeId: 0)

Does anyone know if when the probe is plugged into the sensor, are the contacts on the sensor disabled or do they still function?

I have my dishwasher next to my sink, I would like to put the sensor in my sink cabinet with the probe running to my dishwasher so it becomes a 2 in 1 sensor. Just wondering if it will work like this.

This also makes it much easier to get to for replacing batteries if I don’t need to get under the dishwasher.

Answered my own question. I see the probe cover attaches to the contacts so it cannot be used in this manner.

2 Likes

I have installed this device - and got the device handler up and running.
When i test it with water - it does alert correctly.
But I can’t get it to walk up otherwise - so I got a “not available” message a day after installing.
I tried manually waking it up but pushing the connect button once (led flashed) - but it still won’t wake up or report back when I watch the logs.

Has anyone encountered this?
thanks!

What do you have the “Minimum Check-in Interval” setting set to?

Do you have the “Enable debug logging?” setting enabled?

Update:

The manual says “Press and release the Z-Wave button THREE TIMES to wake the device up.” so you might not have woken it up.

Open the device in the IDE and click the “lastCheckin” link which is in the “Current States” section. If there are entries happening on a regular interval than the device is waking up as expected.