[OBSOLETE] Zooz Smart Chime

I won’t be converting the ZSE33 DTH into an Edge Driver so it will stop working once the Groovy platform is retired.

This is a device handler for the Zooz Smart Chime (ZSE33).

• Has 10 sounds that can be used as chimes or sirens

• Has 3 volume settings that can be set for chime and siren.

• Optionally use flashing LED for chime and siren.

• Use device as alarm to play the siren sound, switch to play the chime.

• Use the customChime command to play a sound by number.

• You can also select the device as a Dimming Switch from almost any SmartApp and play the 10 chimes by setting the dimming level. If you set the dimming level to 10 it will play chime 1, level 20 will play chime 2, etc.

5 Likes

Kevin,
I am trying to get my Zooz ZSE33 chime/siren to activate in different modes for different states. I have the device handler (V 1.1) and can change the Bell/Chime/Siren audio selections. Here’s what I want to do:

Home (Perimeter monitored)-When a perimeter door or window is opened, the Zooz sounds the bell.

While Arming for away mode-During the delay to enter/exit time period, the Zooz Chime sounds during the countdown.

While armed Armed (sleep or away)-If a device is activated, the Zooz Siren sounds

I can get any one of these to happen but not a combination. Is it possible to program this device for multiple functions depending on the status? My alternative is to have 3 of them doing different things.

System configuration currently is as a security system:

ST hub
Iris keypad
Sonos speakers (love the Dogs barking on alarm!)
Zooz Siren/Chime
Zooz Powered Siren (not installed yet)
Echolink Door contacts wired to existing door and window switches at the legacy alarm panel

@krlaframboise

Outdated: current Zooz DTH (v1.1), possible we could get the new/improved DTH for Zooz?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I’ll be keeping them separate, but I will be releasing a new version soon that fixes the stuck UI bug and adds the music capability so you can use SHM to play the 10 sounds by number.

Excuse my ignorance, but all I’d like is for my smart chime to “ding” when a dry contact sensor is tripped. Is there an existing smart app for such an event? “Notify me When” won’t work because there’s no option for output to the chime!

Thank you.

Go into the device settings and set the “Switch On Chime Sound” to the sound number you want to play. Then you can select the device as a switch using any SmartApp and it will play that chime when the switch is turned on.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin! I have 4 of the chimes for various parts of the house, is there any way to have all four trigger when a button is pressed?

Cheers

You can set the “Switch On” setting to the sound you want to play and use Smart Lighting to turn them all on when the button is pushed.

Kevin, I understand the siren and switch use cases, but so far I haven’t found any Smart Apps that can use the beep use case. Do you know of any Smart Apps that can trigger the beep option?

DTH is great, by the way, thanks for developing it

The “Tone” capability has the beep command which I always implement, but there are only a couple of custom SmartApps I’m aware of that use it.

I just posted a new version that allows you to select the device as a dimming switch in SHM and Smart Lighting.

Setting the level to 10% plays chime 1, 20% plays chime 2, etc.

2 Likes

Kevin, thanks for the development! For some reason the device is only showing as a “Z-Wave Switch”, and only has on-off functionality. Am I doing something wrong? I’m using the latest 1.2.1 code.

Cheers!

If you installed the handler after you added the device to SmartThings, you’ll need to exclude it and then reinclude it back to SmartThings. We post detailed instructions on how to create and assign custom device handlers for battery-powered devices here so you can verify each step of the process: https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/blogs/the-smartest-blog/how-to-install-a-custom-device-handler-in-smartthings

This is how the device should show up in your app:

1 Like

Thanks, I know what I did wrong, I didn’t select the location and hub–duh!

1 Like

I have the DH setup and it works… But it seems the actual On/Off press through the dashboard is disabled. You have to press one of the specific tiles to get it to trigger… I’m trying to use it as an open/close chime for RBoys lock management and its not letting me select the chime.

The device can do a lot of things so the primary tile displays a status instead of on/off.

Now that SmartThings has a functional dashboard I’ll change the primary tile so that tapping it executes the on or off command depending on the status, but that won’t have any affect on your ability to select the device from a SmartApp.

@krlaframboise thank you for the DH. is there a way to control the chime volume and number of repeats through the custom chime command? i am using it through webcore.

thanks again.

I recently purchased the ZSE33 and included it before I knew about needing a specific handler. I got it working and was changing parameters. Suddenly it stopped working. I think it’s because I was hitting replace at the bottom instead of just Done. I removed the device and re-included it. Quick test and it worked fine.

I went in to change the parameters and it stopped again. When I push Turn On, the app sends “on command was sent to Zooz Smart Chime” (from your debug), but nothing happens at the chime.

I may have some misunderstanding around the device. The mfgr instructions indicate the device can be a chime or siren depending on parm 7 mode. Your interface in ST makes it appear as though you can have a chime, a beep, and a siren. That would be nice if possible, but how do I access them from ST? Is this where a virtual device would come in?

Sorry, I seem so lost on this even though this can’t be that difficult.
Mike

Not at this time.

The volume is controlled by a configuration setting so changing it before playing the sound would create a delay of a few seconds and could cause reliability issues.

I might add that functionality at some point, but SmartThings has been really unreliable lately so I’m holding off on enhancements until things improve.

I’m not sure how you attempted to “change the parameters”, but all you should be doing is opening the device through the mobile app and changing the settings which are unrelated to configuration parameters.

There are 10 sounds and whichever sound you choose for the “Siren Sound” setting will play as a siren when the device is selected as an Alarm and the siren, strobe, or both command is executed.

The sound # specified in the “Switch On Chime Sound” setting will play as a chime when the device is selected as a switch and the on command is executed.

The sound # specified in the “Beep Chime Sound” setting will play as a chime when the device is selected as a Tone Generator and the beep command is executed. (almost no smartapps support this capability)

You can also select the device as a Dimming Switch from almost any SmartApp and play the 10 chimes by setting the dimming level. If you set the dimming level to 10 it will play chime 1, level 20 will play chime 2, etc.

ahh, ok, thank you.