[OBSOLETE] Zooz S2 Multisiren (ZSE19)

Hi,

Any updates Kevin to incorporate the capability tone (it.hasCommand(“beep”) in the device handler?

In addition, any method to include sound increase? Spoken tones are not even medium sound. Thanks

Also, why is the Multisiren the lowest device on the market, practically, to execute? Every time. Other sirens are alerting and happening in the time expected for cloud execution.

I completely forgot about that, but I’ll try to get to it soon.

I added a setting a while ago that allows you to change the volume of the chimes.

I’m not sure what you’re asking/saying… If you’re referring to performance then I haven’t noticed it being any slower than most other battery powered chimes.

I just released a new version that includes the Tone capability and a new setting for “Beep Sound” that determines which sound gets played when you execute the beep command.

I also made a change that should improve the look of the device in the new mobile app.

Let me know if the beep functionality works as expected because I don’t have the device joined to ST at the moment so didn’t test those changes.

2 Likes

Added the device handler and paired the siren using the classic app. Siren shows up as an Aeotec siren, not as a Zooz multisiren and it’s not detected as an audio player. What am I doing wrong. I’ve already tried redoing the steps. Please help.

That’s really odd because SmartThings has a built-in handler for this device so even if you forgot to publish the custom handler it still should have been identified as the correct device.

Remove the device, join it again, and if it does the same thing then post the Raw Description shown in the IDE. You can also manually change the type field to the correct handler in the IDE, but if it’s not getting assigned the correct handler something else is going on and it probably still won’t work after manually changing it.

Removed and rejoined again. Also tried deleting the custom handler. I get the same result with or without the custom handler.

Raw Description zw:Fs type:1005 cc:5E,85,59,55,86,72,5A,73,98,9F,6C,7A,80,71,25,70,31,79

No mfr, prod, or model in the description?
How far away from the hub is the device when you are joining?

Remove the device, unplug the hub, and remove the batteries from the hub. Wait about 15 seconds and then plug it back in and try joining it again.

It’s 3ft from the hub when joining. Rejoined again after removing power from the device and hub for 30 seconds. It’s still showing up as an Aeotec siren. FYI, I’m using a 1st gen hub.

Kevin, I manually changed the type field as you suggested yesterday and it appears to be working now. Thanks for your help.

Glad I stumbled on this device. I wasn’t aware that it existed. I was hoping someone might be able to answer a few questions before I hit the add to cart button. Maybe @TheSmartestHouse is lurking here today. :smiley:

I saw this line on the website. Can anyone explain what that means when it comes to the different sounds?

" SmartThings Hub (limited audio speaker functionality, works best with custom device handler)"

I’m assuming that you can tie in any one of the sounds with any action and it doesn’t have to match the name? For example, if I wanted to use the _armed_mode_alert for something like when a sensor opens, I can do that in the program? Are all the sounds available to be used in webCoRe pistons? Like if SensorX opens then sound _armed_mode_alert?

As for the volume controls, are you able to turn them down to a reasonable level? It looks like the siren volume isn’t adjustable, but I’m assuming the other ones can be adjusted so they are at a reasonable level?

Are the volumes adjustable for different sounds? For example, maybe I want the panic alert really loud, but want the doorbell soft.

Thanks!

Hi! You actually use numbers assigned to the sounds in the siren’s library when setting up automations, please click here for full instructions how to use custom audio notifications on SmartThings.

Volume is controllable for the sounds as well, we’ll need to check about the details though and will get back to you on this one shortly!

Awesome. Thanks!

Is that able to be used in webCoRe as well? I’m now to all this stuff, so bear with me.

We don’t have much experience with webCoRe but it looks like it can handle just about anything :slight_smile:

@krlaframboise Thanks for your work.

It’s not clear where the “Beep Sound”, and “Chime Volume” fit in. Is “Chime” a Zwave concept or Smartthings? How I use that? Is Chime same than Alarm, and so I can set the volume of the Alarm via the Chime?

Same thing with Beep, is this a zwave concept or smartthings, how I use that?

I get so far I get that with that device handler, the device become many things:
1- Alarm, which is zwave concept, and your app doesn’t allow to set the volume, but allow the duration
2- Switch, which is zwave concept, when turning one, will play the configured “switch on action” but no way to set the volume

The zwave vs smartthings concept you mentioned isn’t a thing because everything in SmartApps and DTHs are based off of the SmartThings capabilities. If a DTH supports a capability then it has to implement all the commands and attributes defined by that capability.

The Alarm capability supports the commands siren, strobe, both, and off, but the Multisiren doesn’t support turning on the strobe and siren independently so the siren and strobe commands turn on both. I believe all the built-in SmartApps execute the both command anyways if you select the device as an Alarm.

I personally define a device that can play short sound files as a chime, which is why I labeled everything related to that functionality as chime, but I think the device’s description uses “audio speaker”.

The device doesn’t support changing the volume of the siren, but you can change the volume of the chime. SmartThings doesn’t have any volume related capabilities (that are live) which is why there’s a “Chime Volume” setting and that’s the volume that all the chime sounds are played at by default.

The only sound related capability that SmartThings has for playing a short sound is Tone which has the command “beep” and I’ve made that command play the “Beep Sound” specified in the settings.

Since SmartThings doesn’t have any capabilities that allow you to play a sound by # I had to get creative with other capabilities.

I used the “Switch Level” capability which allows you to select the device as a light or dimmer and set the dimmer level to the sound # you want to play.

I also used the “Music Player” capability which allows you to select the device as a “Music/Audio” device in SmartApps, choose the “Custom” option, and specify the sound # you want to play. This also allows you to specify the volume and if you enter a volume it will override the Chime Volume setting.

Let me know if that didn’t answer your questions.

2 Likes

Are all these added capabilities ‘accessible’ from the UI provided on Android “SmartThings” app?

Your instructions helped me to figure out that under “Automation” then using “Speaker Companion” I’m able to chose the Zooz S2 Multisiren as a “Speaker player” and setting the “custom message” as a number, allow to play one of the 37 sound saved on the Zooz’s device, but no volume option from that UI. And I got from your message that “Speaker player” functionality IS the “Chime” functionality exposed, just a different name.

I still wonder how to trigger “Beep” functionality, or is it that BEEP == Switch turning ON?

I thought the volume option was in Speaker Companion, but maybe it’s just in Smart Home Monitor…

I’ve written chime/siren handlers for 11 different devices and some support custom sound files, others just have built-in tones, and they all call it something different so for consistency I refer to that functionality as “Chime” in all my handlers.

Turning the switch on executes whatever action you’ve selected for the “Switch On Action” setting.

If a SmartApp supports the Tone Capability then you’ll be able to select this device and the SmartApp will execute the “beep” command which will play the sound specified in the “Beep Sound” setting.

@krlaframboise you did the handler for the Dome siren too didn’t you? Is there anyway to add the delay that the Dome siren handler has to the Zooz siren?

Also what do people use for temperature reporting to balance between accurate reports but yet not kill batteries. Says 30 minutes is default but that seems a bit much.