[RELEASE] Zooz Q Sensor (ZSE11)

@krlaframboise I just bought a few of these hoping to use the lux sensor to automatically turn on lights and to track humidity. I installed the device handler before pulling the shipping plastic from the battery contacts and adding the first one to ST but I’m not sure it correctly identified the device and used the right device handler. I am only seeing motion, temp and battery reading in the app and the device log, how do I get the humidity and lux readings??

Ever since ST introduced Edge Drivers the custom handlers don’t always get assigned during inclusion. If that happens to me then excluding and re-joining the device using the scan QR code option usually solves it, but it never works for some users.

If you open the device in the IDE you can manually change the Type field to my handler. Custom handlers appear at the very bottom of the list.

After switching handlers it could take 24 hours to see the correct UI, but sometimes you can force it to refresh by either changing the device name or clearing the apps cache and data in your phone’s settings.

Version 1.2

I just released a new version of the DTH that has a workaround for the lux reporting bug in the original firmware so you no longer need to update the device’s firmware to get it to report values above 32,767 lux.

@krlaframboise
Kevin is it possible to have "Minimum Reporting Frequency” down to 15 minutes? Current option is from 1 to 774 Hours. I have joined device as Battery, but is USB powered, and I have nothing to worry about battery life.
I have sudden drop in temperature, that is not being reported, according to Temperature Reporting Threshold (1). All other capabilities are reporting almost live.

Reporting frequency is the schedule it sends automatic reports. It shouldn’t have any impact on the reports that are sent based on temperature change threshold.

@krlaframboise
Kevin can you please tell me by looking at my settings how temperature should be reported

Currently everything is being reported live or on schedule, except for the temperature. Temperature is reporting only hourly, regardles of temperature change. I think i have temperature set to report on 1°F change, but is not happening

Temperature

Humidity

As long as the main screen shows that the settings are synced those settings should make it report every 1° change.

Just in case the issue has something to do with the value 1 you should change it to 2, wake it up, and see if that makes it report more often…

I’ll change it to 2°F, and wait to see if it’s making any difference.

@krlaframboise That did the trick. It us updating temperature now with 2° change. Question is if I change it back to 1°, will it keep sending updates, in every 1° change.

Update: After changing settings to 1°, it still reports on at least 2° difference. I am guessing, there is an issue with 1°

Try it and let me know.

1 Like

It’s easy for me to try, with inside temperature of 70ish and outside 34°F.

Or Pending change is the problem

Kevin it is working now :smiley::+1:

As I have placed it outside, temperature reading is dropping so fast.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Maybe default settings should be left blank, and when users enter the value, that would reset device.

If the device’s default value isn’t the same as the default value in the handler then that might explain why it didn’t accept the value until you changed it to something else and then changed it back, but I’ll have to do some testing.

@krlaframboise - Question for you about the power source setup.

1. Is there a technical reason why one cannot switch between battery or DC modes after initial setup?
  2. Possible to make an option for disabling relay feature?

My unit was setup with battery mode (on purpose, as I didn’t want it to be a relay) and then connected to DC source anyways. Doesn’t appear that it actually made use of the DC power, as the batteries have now been depleted after ~2 months. I figured I could just remove the batteries, reconnect DC power, and it would fire up. Nope. Doesn’t seems to work that way.

I have added my Q sensor as battery powered, and now it’s connected using 2A usb plug. Battery is still at 100% even when is unplugged. Maybe your usb plug is bad?

The way the device is joined determines if the device sleeps or is an always on repeater. If devices started using it as a repeater and then it started sleeping that would mess up your z-wave mesh.

If you join it as a battery device you should be able to power it by USB and the battery will just be used as a backup.

Is the USB cable pushed tightly against the device and have you tested that cable and power adapter with another device?

Guess that means there isn’t a way to announce to the mesh its no longer a repeater then, it sounds like.

With no batteries installed, connecting the USB cable, the blue light illuminates, which I assume mean it has sufficient power. Using an old 1A USB cell phone charger. When double-checking the amperage of the charger, noticed it wasn’t fully seated in the outlet. Maybe thats part of the recent problem for no events. Anyways, now its logging events again but the ST app still shows battery power and 1% even though nothing is installed.

That was most likely the issue because I didn’t see that behavior during my testing and I haven’t heard any similar complaints.

If you don’t have a battery in it then it’s probably reporting 0%, but I think at one point creating a 0% battery level event caused an issue in ST so all of my handlers report 1% when the value is less than 1.

Besides a reset and connecting it via DC power, is there any way to change the power source so it doesn’t report battery and 1%?

If you don’t plan on using it with a battery then you could just put the following on line 382 and it will always show 100%, but after making that change you’ll need to either wake the device up or unplug it for a few seconds to make it update.

val = 100