SmartThings Community

[RELEASE] Zooz Power Switch / Zooz Smart Plug

dth_powermeter
dth_sensors
dth_outlet

(Kevin) #61

I should be receiving my new switch tomorrow and then I’ll be able to troubleshoot, but I just looked through my event history and every once in a while I see a switch ON entry that’s physical and with my DTH, physical events should only occur when the device is physically turned on/off.

The high value thing is still bugging me, especially since it’s also happened with other devices so I’m wondering if the data is sending a value that SmartThings doesn’t like and it’s not doing the conversion properly.

Would you mind inserting the following directly below line 311 and if you see any warnings in live logging post a few of them?

if ("$description".contains("3202") && cmd?.scaledMeterValue > 2000) {
	log.warn "Description: ${description}\nCmd: ${cmd}"
}

Absolutely. I’ll do that now and let you know.

(John C) #63

It is my suspicion perhaps this is a system-wide anomaly causing occasional, random, asynchronous erroneous events.

There are a number of reports of this behavior and I’ve been following several of those threads.

My own experience is a remote, sleepy contact switch on a door that has not been opened that suddenly reported ‘open’ – and was later physically checked and found closed.

After the DTH was modified to fetch the contact state when the sleeping device woke to tell its battery state, it reported the door ‘closed,’ as expected.

Here’s the story. Draw your own conclusions…

Thank you. I was thinking along these lines too. Non-battery powered devices don’t sleep though do they?

I thought at first it may be like the occasional problem I get of a random Z-Wave device actually turning on by itself but in those cases the device physically is turning on. In this case of course it is not and it’s erroneously reporting. In fact, it was those random physical ons that prompted me to write a piston to alert me to if the power switches go off as I have fridges attached and that would bad. That’s how I noticed this problem. Thankfully it’s just bad reporting.

(John C) #65

Right. They also report more often, hence the more frequent issues??? Interesting question.

Synchronization is difficult enough in a small, embedded system – ever write a dual-ported memory controller, for example?! :yum: Can only imagine in a distributed cloud environment the complexity is greater…

Just a quick update. I watched this several times this afternoon and did not notice any errors in Live Logging. Furthermore, since making that change in the handler I have not seen the device report erroneously as OFF like I have been. I don’t think your change was meant to address that but I wonder if it is somehow causing the device status reporting to stay current - sort of what @Barkis was referring to. I don’t know enough to know if that makes sense.

My Mac died early this evening then I had company and the combination meant I did not watch the ON/OFF status of the device or watch logging for some time. Jumping on my wife’s Mac now I’m watching Live Logging again but so far no errors so nothing new to report just yet other than my Beverage Fridge is still reporting ON correctly.

I’ll update again tomorrow in between getting my sorry Mac to the Apple store.

(Kevin) #67

The invalid on/off reports are caused by either the device or SmartThings randomly sending a Basic Report.

All I did was make the Meter Report handler not create the event if the value exceeds the limit so the other problem going away has to be a coincidence.

I was referring to the debug change you had me add in the handler but I understand your point on the ON/OFF.

Hopefully Support will respond on the ON/OFF issue.

I’d like to see an option to disable toggling power off / on. I am using this on my garage refrigerator, and really NEVER want to turn it off (and have the setting to set power on when power is restored).

I mainly use it to monitor the power, so I changed the main from switch to power for my use case. I keep all my power monitoring devices in a Power Monitors “room” so I can view them all on the same screen, and prefer to see the current watts there (I know I may be in the minority on that one)

Finally had the ghost off/on thing happen again, this time on the other ZEN15 of mine.

The switch was NOT turned off manually or by any other means. You can see it continued to report power usage after the OFF command so it was definitely still physically on.

Support have not replied yet to my inquiry on the Aeons that are doing this.

It does look like ST is creating ghost on/off commands. Or maybe the devices are faulty. But I doubt the latter as this is happening on the Aeons and Zoozs.

I didn’t think this was happening to me, but I guess it is. Check this out:

@krlaframboise

I think but can’t be sure that I had this on a regular GE Z-Wave switch today as well. I say I can’t be sure because I have automations on that device so can’t rule out issues there but it seems suspicious …

In this case though the device was actually on when I went to look. The last OFF is me turning it off. May be unrelated.

@Nezmo and @krlaframboise,

3 of my 5 Zooz switches are doing this, and none of my Aeons are doing this.

The 2 Zooz devices not doing this are almost always sending power readings.

I’ll keep an eye on this for a while.

I have one Aeon on a stock handler and two on a custom - all have the ON/OFF reporting issue.

Both my Zoozs are doing it.

In all cases whether they are reporting power or not does not seem to make a difference. For example, I have one Aeon that has nothing plugged in to it and it can report OFF erroneously just like the others that do have things plugged in to them. In fact, it seems those devices that are actively reporting power have the OFF/ON reporting issue more frequently but that’s anecdotal until I gather more data.

Here’s another device, but data from the Recently tab:

Just to let you guys know that you don’t have a monopoly on all the fun with the ZEN15s — both my zooZs are randomly displaying ON-switch events along with 9-gawd-zillian Max AMP readings :confused:

(Kevin) #77

I posted a new version of the DTH the other day that should have stopped the impossibly high readings going forward.

Did you reset the stats after upgrading to the latest version?

(Kevin) #78

What SmartApps are those devices connected to?

I’ll check the code when I get home tonight to make sure my DTH isn’t causing the false reporting.

Just ST’s Amazon Echo app.

(Kevin) #80

Both of my Zooz Power Switches and my Zooz Smart Plug are sending a Basic Report every 15 minutes on the quarter hour.

The timing makes me think that SmartThings is requesting it, but my code doesn’t use the basic Get command so it can’t be requesting it through the DTH.

When creating events I usually always set “isStateChange” to true, but it’s probably not necessary. Do you want me to let SmartThings decide so that the event gets ignored if the new value is the same as the old value?

Update:
All 3 of my devices are repeatedly reporting the correct value so ignoring the duplicates would solve that, but I just noticed that yours are repeatedly reporting the wrong value so that wouldn’t help.

It’s weird that I’ve been unable to get any of my devices to report those high values or report the wrong status.

I have the Simple Event Logger SmartApp monitoring these devices so I’m sure that mine haven’t been having those problems.

Update 2:
I just added a log line to the BasicReport event handler of my Aeon switch and the report is being sent at the exact time as the 3 Zooz switches so it’s got to be something SmartThings is doing…