So all the numbers are showing up how they are supposed to I think. The gray is normal for things like battery life, RH, temperature, etc. The log has numbers too, so I think all those things are working right.
IIRC tapping the tamper event didn’t do anything for me. I turned on the option to automatically clear it – this turns it on while the case is open and will turn it off automatically once the case is closed.
This seems like the only thing that might be behaving incorrectly. During the snippet of time you showed in the screen shots were there any motion events that should have been picked up? If not then try this:
- Make sure your motion re-trigger is set to 1 in settings.
- Make sure you have no outstanding configuration changes to be sent (more on that later)
- make sure the device is somewhere you have good control over when/if it will see any motion, like pointed toward a wall, etc. This prevents accidentally triggering motion while you’re trying to figure out if it’s working.
- make sure the device shows no motion, and isn’t in a state where it’s not sending additional motion signals (ie, it very recently did detect motion).
- hell, pull the batteries and pop them back in to restart it if you want. Doubt this matters but it’s nice if you’re superstitious
- open up the web api log and also have another tab open to the device’s configuration page (eg, go to “my devices” and click the name of the device; it’ll show a page with a bunch of stuff and also a list of all the current state values. double check that motion is inactive.)
- move your hand or whatever where the sensor will capture the motion
Refresh the device configuration page (NOT the log page) and see if it registers motion as active. This is pretty much the raw data and best way to figure out if it’s actually registering correctly and it’s a display issue or if the motion event is actually not showing up. If not give it a few seconds more and refresh again. These sensors are not very quick to report motion so don’t be surprised if it stays inactive for a few seconds.
If the value there is correct you’ve at least isolated that the DH is working correctly processing the events but for some reason the app is not displaying the information correctly.
ALSO! The background of the top, big tile is misleading! That will not do anything special if motion is detected. You will see “active” instead of “inactive” in the secondary information, and the “No Motion” tile will change to “Motion”.
You can do the above steps with the tamper trigger too (might want to try that first actually since it’s easier to set and reset – I’d recommend setting the ‘automatically clear tamper event’ setting at least temporarily while you do so).
This is normal too and maybe he should remove the refresh button because it’s kinda misleading. Some devices I have a refresh tap will near-instantly contact the device and update everything. That’s not how this device works (I do not think it’s the handler, but how the device proper works).
If you tap refresh once the next time the device checks in it will ask and retrieve all the values. Checkins are about once every 6 hours or more though! They are not any time an event happens (which is also how some of my other devices work). So even though you might see new readings coming in, the refresh is still sitting there waiting for the device to actually check in.
If you tap refresh twice, it will get the values AND re-send all the configuration values to the device. Again, you have to wait for the next checkin which is likely in hours. You have probably done this and that’s why it says there are 7 changes pending – it’s waiting for that next checkin to send over all your configuration (it doesn’t mean they are actually different than the device’s current configuration since you probably forced the update by tapping refresh twice. So your settings might actually be correct.)
You CAN easily force a refresh by pushing a pin/paperclip to tap the pair button. Give it ~1 minute and you should see that the “7 Changes Pending” goes away. If not, try again. It’s weird but sometimes it doesn’t actually trigger a checkin (but it does work much more often than it doesn’t).
It’s also possible your device doesn’t have the updated settings so it’s still on slow refreshes, etc. I’d recommend forcing the checkin until you see there are no changes pending. And in the mean time DO NOT hit the refresh button
I have noticed that sometimes the displayed values lag behind slightly. I think this is a ST thing – the DH is updating the numbers but for some reason the app is still showing the older values. If the numbers are showing correctly in the log then the DH is setting the value correctly.
Going back/forth sometimes clears this for me. I’ll even sometimes see the correct number in some places and the wrong number elsewhere, etc.