[RELEASE] Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor

Thank you both for your donations. That wasn’t necessary, but I really appreciate it.

I’m using Kevin’s DH for my Zooz 4-in-1 and have a Monoprice not connected yet as it was being stubborn but will play with it after the update using the same DH. My question is regarding the Zooz. It’s burning through batteries like crazy. They are fresh Duracells so shouldn’t be depleted this fast. Any suggestions how I can reduce this? TIA

It’s just a design flaw, the new version uses cr123a batteries. You could try lithium aaa’s but they are not cheap.

The sensor should last 4-6 months even using traditional AAA batteries so if you’re getting low battery reports much sooner, adjusting advanced settings may help. Get in touch with our support and we’ll be happy to guide you through the process: https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pages/contact-us

Thank-you. I’m getting about a month from the AAA batteries so I’ll contact them.

A month doesn’t seem right at all so when writing to support, please include your order number so we can determine which version you’re using and screenshots from your settings so we can make suggestions what can be adjusted to improve battery life.

Ok, will do and thanks for your help.

1 Like

@krlaframboise

I got one more idea for improved DTH - is it possible to at "last motion detected XX Hours/ minutes ago or time stamp. May be in the Motion tile?

Or may be there is easy way to pull that info different way?

1 Like

I planned on adding a “Last Activity” tile to the new DTH, but I guess I could add a setting that allows you to choose which “last” time to display. For example “Last Activity”, “Last Motion”, or “Last Tamper”.

1 Like

@krlaframboise which DH should I be using for the monoprice 4 in 1 sensor?

I am currently using your DH and it is named “Zooz/Monoprice 4-in-1 Multisensor” but I don’t think it has been updated for a long time.

Is this the correct DH?

That’s the old handler that I deleted from GItHub a while ago. The latest DTH is Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor and you can find the link in the first post of this topic.

Ok thanks for confirming. I had a feeling I was using the wrong DH.

@krlaframboise
Hey Kevin,
Were you able to find out the humidity levels are reported so often (within less than 1% difference, even though it’s set to 5% in the DTH) ?

Maybe…

If the light, temp, or humidity trigger is reached the device reports all 3 values, but only the values that changed will appear in the Recently tab.

If you go into the IDE and click the illuminance or temp attributes you should see just as many events as humidity.

If light reached its trigger and a little while later temp reached its trigger and the humidity had a different value each time it was reported, it would appear in the recently tab twice, but the others would only appear once.

I have no idea if that’s what is causing your problem, but it could explain it.

That’s probably it. I was worried about battery life (my 2 sensors laster only 2 months before they hit 1% battery).

Until I researched this issue for you, I used to set light and humidity to 50% because I was primarily using it for motion and temp and I thought that would increase the battery life.

The device with AAA and 17.9 firmware has some hardware changes that improve the battery.

I put the batteries in on 12/10/2017 and I’ve been using the settings below for most of that time and the battery is still at 70%.

• Motion Reset: 15 (15 Seconds - seconds are only supported in firmware 17.9 and above)
  • Motion Sensitivity: 1 (most sensitive)
  • Temp Trigger: 30 (3°F)
  • Humidity Trigger: 1 (1%)
  • Light Trigger: 5 (5%)

The Zooz 4-in-1 VER 2.0 should be available within a few weeks and it has the same hardware/firmware enhancements as 17.9, but uses a CR123A battery instead of 2 AAAs so the battery life should be even better.

I’m aware that my first sentence contradicts my statement about using those low settings for 2 months, but I purposely set low triggers on this device to see if the battery enhancements they made to that version made a difference.

1 Like

Mine are (17.9 version):
Motion Reset: 60
Sensitivity 4 (will change it to 7)
Temp Trigger 2 ( 0.2 F ), will change it to 3
Humidity 5%
Light 5%

Further more, battery reporting interval was 24 hrs (I will bump it more), Minimum check interval is 6. LED is 1 - never lights up. The only extreme here is the temp trigger - 0.2. But I need that and sadly, no one makes temperature/humidity focused sensors for some reason. Now I know that 4 in 1 Motion sensors means Motion + bonuses.

One of the sensors was at 1% for 3 weeks. Deicded to change the batteries today - 1.31 volts each (original AAA alkaline). It could’v probably go for a few more weeks. The other one got to 1% a week ago (1.32v today). Both sensors installed with in a day of each other in equaly busy bedrooms.

I found one more bug: battery reporting interval says 1-167, but I can’t enter higher than 67 (68 or higher and field goes red).

I have the monoprice 4-in-1 sensors and they are reporting firmware 5.1.

Is there a way to update them?

The Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor is not the same device as the Monoprice 4-in-1 Sensor so the firmware is not interchangeable.

That being said, I believe Zooz has made changes to the hardware with each new firmware version so the firmware can’t be updated for any of the Zooz 4-in-1 Sensors.

Mine is set on 4 so I doubt that will make a difference.

Mine hasn’t been in a high traffic area so that along with my higher temp trigger might explain why my batteries are lasting longer.

Everspring makes a temp/humidity sensor, but it’s lowest temp trigger is 1°C so that wouldn’t work for you.

Thanks, I’ll fix it in a future version.