[OBSOLETE] Xiaomi Sensors and Button (beta)

The original DH is for the non-Aqara, I think.

Brian’s repository has more up to date DH’s: https://github.com/bspranger/Xiaomi

I’m not sure if the non-Aqara code has changed at all. Try both and see what happens.

I think people aren’t getting the Xiaomi gateway is because it’s not using standard protocols? Don’t really know anything about that gateway.

Last night, at about the same time, 6 out of 7 temp/hum sensors dropped off the network after about a week. The DTH was mixed between both versions. I guess these are trash and I will wait for the other ones to come in to give those a shot.

Actually, the price for the Xiaomi is considerably less than the ST hub, $30 or lower for the rev 2, and far less than that for the “original” one.

Why aren’t people buying one? It’s only designed to work with Xiaomi ZigBee-based devices, may or may not work with other ZigBee devices, doesn’t have Z-wave capability, and definitely won’t interface with wifi/account-based devices such the Nest product line / Ecobee / etc. Also, from an aesthetic standpoint - despite having a universal power supply built-in, the plug is for a type I socket, and so people in regions where that’s not the standard have to use an adaptor which may mean the gateway sticks out more from the wall.

1 Like

Thought I’d update again. 3days ago I relinked all my door sensors with a different device handler and 1 day after that, one of the 4 disconnected and I repaired it in the same way since then I’ve had all 4 stable for 2 days which is the longest stretch yet. Going to buy some more when they’re on offer again

Two days…not long enough. Mine were paired for a week and then dropped off. Whatever it was it hit 6 of them out of 7

1 Like

Good point it is long term compatibility I’m after. I’ll hang fire. I am new to this and love how the sensors work in SmartThings so much I think maybe in future get some more expensive reliable ones for the external doors and relegate the Xiaomis to windows in future

The only reason I am using Xiaomi is because I need the temp sensors and there really is not anything out there less than $35. If I only needed one I would pay that but I need 7. However by the time I get the new version I will be up to $20 each because the 1st 7 was a total waste of money.

So my test Xiaomi Aqara Motion, Aqara Temp/Humidity/Pressure, Aqara Contact sensor have been connected for over 3 weeks now with no drops, my only issue is how motion isn’t as accurate as my CentraLite Motion sensors. So it seems the Aqara ones are definitely the ones to get if you want low cost sensors

1 Like

Keep in mind the motion sensors themselves reset after 60s I believe. So even if the DH resets them before 60s they won’t report a change again until the time is up. You can do into the device settings and add the 60s timeout so it matches up. This is a hardware limitation.

I have 8 door sensors and 6 motion sensors all running perfectly.

1 Like

Ya I saw that but i find the sensitivity isn’t as good as my other motion sensors. When I have them side by side my centralite picks up more motion and faster than the aqara ones.

Terk - I have the wifi button and your device handler. The button is paired but no action is ever registered in Smartthings - any idea?

Thanks

Alain

@Alain_Tramblay, Make sure your button looks exactly like the one pictured at
https://community.smartthings.com/t/original-xiaomi-aqara-smart-wireless-switch-aqara-button-beta?source_topic_id=77576
As there are a few different Xiaomi buttons the one at the top of the current page is the non Aqara button the DTH at the link above is for the Aqara button. In the live logging you should at least see something happen when the button is pressed. I have found these buttons tend to require two pairings before they will stay connected more than an hour. After the second pairing they tend to work pretty well in my experience although the Aqara button will not support button hold only press.

Thank you Terk. It is that button. I will try pairing again.

I’ve not had much luck with the aqara devices: I have 3 temperature and
humidity sensor that will report only on first connect. After that… Total
blackness.

Anyway, I’ll try to pair again and see how that goes. Thanks for your help

Alain

Alright, I’m not sure what’s going on. Spent a few hours on this today again and here’s a summary

1. returned the smarthub for a new one to rule out a possible defect
  2. 4th xiaomi temp/humidity sensor came in today (thinking the other 3 are defective?)
  3. installed both codes (bspranger & a4refillpad < this one seems to actually get some activity going)
  4. opened up the app on my phone, clicked add a thing
    held the reset button on the sensor until it flashed 3 times
    went to home hub > events > catchcall (noticed readouts of the temp and humidity from the sensor in the events listing)
    grabbed the name/id (7th character group), went to devices > new device > added it
    when i look on devices, it shows as active (the 3 possibly defective show as online)
    when i check the app on my phone (the device appears in my list after a second or two), it still shows 0 degrees and 0 humidity

is there something i missed/did wrong?

IT FINALLY WORKED!!!

The issue - the home time zone wasn’t setup!

If you’re having issues setting up the sensors, open the smart things app, go to home and make sure your location (GPS) is correct. When you log back into the site, you should see your updated time zone (America/New York) for example.

once that is updated, follow the instructions in the first post on how to add the sensor.

2 Likes

Terk,

The repairing worked perfectly. I tried the same solution for my
Aqara temperature and humidity sensors - 2 of 3 paired again and reported
the temperature once and the third one is still trying to pair. Is it just
me or I am getting what I’m paying for (talking about the devices, not your
assistance :slight_smile:

Alain

@Alain_Tramblay Xiaomi are the only devices I have had to pair multiple times consistently before they would stay working. For a week or so after a ST firmware change they were even more difficult to pair, at that time one of the ST developers said Xiaomi doesn’t strictly conform to the standards that ST is expecting which is why their FW update caused more pairing issues than before, they where able to modify something in their code to make things work again but said they couldn’t promise in the future they wouldn’t break again. So many of us have their devices because they are low cost, but they require custom DTHs so they will not function as local sensors only cloud so if your internet is down they will not work or alert if a door is opened so choose where you use them verses other devices that work with the native ST DTHs which will work locally like the SmartThings Multipurpose sensor, Iris v2 door/window sensor, Aeotec Recessed door sensor, …

Just a little more to this;

After they fixed the HUGE issue that was caused with one of the Hub f/w updates the dev. that posted actually said that they now know what to look for so hopefully that would never happen again. However as they are not officially supported there is obviously no guarantee but the same can then be said for probably around 80% of all the ‘Things’ that people use lol.

Also, I would not be too concerned with things working locally as chances are that whilst some sensors will work locally the things that they trigger will not (well unless you run everything off a ST socket of course). There are a few switches that can run locally with basic DH’s but with these DH’s you loose pretty much all the functionality that said switches offer.

To get around this from at least a security monitoring perspective if there is a power cut I have my ST Hub, 4G Router (and a bunch of of other bits) hooked up to a UPS. The 4G router has a fall back to my Fiber Optic so worst case scenario if the Cell Phone Network goes down then it still stays connected. If there is a power cut my security stays in place with notifications etc. switching lights on etc. does not matter of course as there is no power. Since putting this is place about a year ago I have not lost the Hub once and that is through 2 or 3 power cuts.
If it is a concern then I would recommend investing in a 4G router and UPS. I pay around £10 a month for the 4G Data card which I feel is more than worth it for the stability and security it offers. The only point of failure after this is Samsung themselves and if that ever happens then we are dead in the water anyway and it will be time to jump ship to a local system anyway :grinning:

Thanks Terk - Happy I did not pay a lot for them.

Alain

Hi,
I managed to add the temperature sensor (via developer, catchall) but it reads 0 for temperature, 74% battery and 0% humidity. Any thoughts?

Thank you!