[OBSOLETE] Xiaomi Sensors and Button (beta)

All my Aqara sensor was paired using the ST app and not catchall method. I do this many times after I got the sensors. I totally ordered 7 of them and each time only paired one unit at a time. (still have 5 unit still in the box unopened) I don’t have any Zigbee device besides the ST hub which is my Shield TV with ST link module.

The main problem here is the drop off compare to pairing. But you do highlight a good point that it might route through my other aqara sensor (those still the box) to reach the hub. There’s also no on/off button on the sensor itself which it cannot be turn off. In this case, should I take out all the battery for all my sensor then pair one by one again ? (the first sensor unit does paired to the hub directly this can be sure but it still dropped off for some reason)

That only applies to hard wired Zigbee devices like light bulbs and power outlets. Battery powered devices do not act as routers.

It is really strange that a handful of people experience these drops yet others like myself are rock solid across dozens of sensors. There must be something, be it the distance from the hub to the sensor, some sort if interference in the area, external source or something within ST that causes these drops.

You could try a few things link moving your WiFi Router or hub by even just a few feet to see if that helps and have a think of what else in your home could possibly be causing the drops etc.

I would also just try 2 new sensors out the box, you just never know.

Thanks Mark, I am trying remove and re-add back the device to the ST app again. This time I used back Brian’s DH (the battery level continue display as --, light level seems not accurate as showing more than 100% when pointing toward windows on a cloudy day).

My router and the hub is 4-5 meter away, but I don’t think this will cause any interference as it can work for many hours before it get dropped off. And once it get drop off, then there’s nothing can bring it back online so I guess something (network/zigbee ID I don’t know) get changed/updated when it went off. Else it should connect back to the hub whenever I press the button on the sensor to reestablish the connection after it get drop off. But this was not happened no matter how many times I press the button on the sensor (try with two Aqara motion sensor and one Aqara door sensor)

Later I will pair all my remaining motion sensor (all Aqara Motion Sensor) and put it on different location around the house and see which one will drop off first (to see whether distance between the client and the hub make any different, it is just a small house)

I went through some thread on the ST Link (Shield TV is my only ST hub), and it look like other Shield TV user having the same issue with other Zigbee device too. I am now also suspect something to do with the sleep mode setting on the Shield TV setup which I totally turned off the sleep mode setting now.

I got the Xiaomi Temp/Humidity sensor and I am using the device handler provided in the post and it works well providing Temp, humidity and Battery.

My issue is that the device has lost close to 40% battery in two days. Is anyone having issue with battery? I ll try to reach out for a battery replacement but want to make sure if its not Smarthings which is causing it to loose battery so soon or incorrect reporting.

I finally got all 7 Temp sensors to get recognized through the catchall method. However after a few hours they all dropped off. So I did not delete them. Ran the catchall got the new ID put it in and it worked…for a few hours and then dropped off again. Man I wish I could find a temp sensor that is reliable.

I have a sensor no less than 15ft…worked for a little while and then nothing. I am sure it is interference so going to have to play with location. Question for you do you have any other zigbee devices that are close to these devices.

I have the Aqara temp sensors, the square ones, and it has stayed connected for about 2 weeks now without issues, and I paired not using the catchall method, although it did seem to not want to pair at first, and the first time it paired it dropped off but then I repaired it and hasn’t dropped since. I order 6 more so we’ll see the mileage I get on these.

That is great…where did you get them and how much were they

thanks. What sucks is that I got the other 7 from them. I think I will wait to see if anyone else is having any problems with these or wait till you get the other 6. I am thinking that if you have gone two weeks that you are probably good. Is there anyone else out there that is having this same kind of success

Hi Phil, I do not really, no. I have a Samsung ST Multi Sensor in the shed and a few buttons etc. I have some Hue bulbs but they have not seen power for quite a while as no need for them at the moment all the rest of my sensors and switches are Z-Wave. It really should only be hard wired Zigbee devices or external influences that should interfere. Battery powered devices should have zero impact on the sensors.

I added my Aqara Temp Sensors using the app, I have always found catchall a waste of time tbh :frowning: as it is so easy for the Network ID to change. If you have the Xiaomi (non Aqara) version of the Temp Sensor then assume that is the difference in this scenario. However saying that I never really had any issues with adding the ‘non’ Aqara versions of the Motion and Door Sensors (apart from then ST broke them all with a Hub f/w update several months back).

Where are you located Phil? I am abroad on business at the moment but MAY have a spare new Aqara Temp sensor I can send you once home over the weekend if you are in the UK? If it works OK then you can keep hold of it and replace when your order arrives etc…

1 Like

New Version … Going to get one for outside my home… to test… If its easier to pair Ill totally switch up But do not know yet.

I just got my Temp sensor yesterday. The Aqara square one from Gearbest. Had to push the button aprox 9 times before ST saw a “Thing”. I then went into the IDE and assigned it a DH and its been up and online since. I also heard you can use the DH for the “SmartSense Temp Humidity sensor” I did try it and it was working but I lost the Pressure reading. The only good thing about using the SmartSense DH was that it made it a “local” device and not a “cloud”

That is what I have and good luck. ST will not find them and you must use catchall to get them on your network and then 2 hours later you cant find them

No I am in the US but maybe I will go out and get one to see how it works. Thanks for the offer

Hmmm seems there are three types of temp sensors from Xiaomi on the banggood site 2 round and the square Aqara one

Maybe the new round one will connect and stay connected like the square Aqara sensor which also adds Atmospheric pressure readings… But I can speak to the Aqara one being solid so far.

Thank you again, I was confused because I didn’t saw agara on name, “xiaomi-zigbee-button.src” but now I check on code I saw "(name: “Original Xiaomi Aqara Button”?

1 Like

I have a feeling that is the older version also but perhaps they have re–designed the internals…

I have the round ones. Now I am going to try the square ones. Round ones will not connect without catchall …at leas for me

On the Temp sensors I’ve found the Temp to be pretty accurate on mine. I place it next to my thermostat and there was 1/2 degree difference. I then moved it to another room and used a different thermometer and there was less than 1/2 degree difference.

The only thing that I know of thats well off if the pressure readings. I’ve been comparing what I’m getting off of the Aqara to the local airport ADDS - METAR and there is a constant 33.7 Millibar difference. Luckily theres an offset setting so I can adjust.

I also did find a way to modify my DH to show mb instead of kPa

To do this find the following

result = ((pressureval/100) as Float) + pressOffset

and

result = (pressureval/100 as Float)

and change the 100 to 10 in both lines. This will give you the reading is Millibar format. You can then also do a search for kPa and change it to mb in the DH for all the labels.

To show inHg instead of kPa find the same 2 lines and change them to this…

result = ((pressureval/100)/ 3.3863752577878 as Float) + pressOffset

And

result = (pressureval/100/ 3.3863752577878 as Float)

You can also then go do a search for kPa and change them to inHg for all your labels.

Lastly, if/when you make the changes it will not show right away. It will not update and show the new inHg or mb readings until it updates the pressure again, roughly every 15 to 30 mins.