[OBSOLETE] Xiaomi Sensors and Button (beta)

Unfortunately, no paypal refunds, as I used a CC, and Gearbest considers it lost at the two month mark, apparently.

I filed a ticket with support, and they said they wouldn’t act on it until the 9th (which is two months after I placed the order). If they won’t do anything then, I’ll go through my CC company. Fortunately, its only $24 CAD.

Does these work with the V1 hub? or is it confirmed incompatible?

I just got my shipment from Gearbest today, I located in Canada, ordered back in Feb 14, 2017.
Motion sensor x 5
Smart buttons x 5
Paid by Paypal
I also paid the tracking and insurance

1 Like

Zigbee mesh is by design “resilient,” which means that if the coordinator goes off-line or if an individual device goes off power or if a repeating device is temporarily unavailable, the end device should rejoin its current network all on its own once everything is back operating again. This is intentional and was considered one of the big pluses of zigbee for sensor-nets because you could remove any one device to change its batteries and everything would work just fine again once the device was back on power. Additionally, you could relocate the entire network just by picking it up and moving it somewhere else and all the devices would eventually figure out how to get back to the coordinator using a different set of repeaters than they had used the first time. All without human intervention.

Which means that if you take a zigbee device out of range of the network, it will assume that some other devices got off-line. And it will just continue to try to reestablish the connection, at whatever interval it is configured for. The SmartThings brand arrival sensor does a check every 30 seconds. But there are certainly other devices that might check only once an hour or even only once a day. But the zigbee device still knows what network it belongs to, and it should continue trying to reestablish the connection at the set interval for as long as it has power.

When you then bring it back into range, you still have to wait until the next check-in interval before anything will happen. at that point the device goes “oh, there you are” and sends its check-in.

What happens next depends on the zigbee profile being used by the device.

If it is using the standard zigbee home automation profile, everything will work fine, and it will be back to normal operation on network.

But if it is using a different profile, including manufacturer proprietary, It may expect to receive a specific acknowledgment, and be confused if it doesn’t. ( this is often called a “handshake.”)

Anyway, I don’t know exactly how the Xiaomi Devices operate in the situation where, from their point of view, the coordinator has been unavailable for several hours. But a typical zigbee home automation device will just come right back online to the network, but only after it does its next scheduled check in. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks for the detail info.
My intention was using Xiaomi button to do lock/unlock the z wave lock (eg: Press and hold the button to unlock the door lock / press and release the button to lock the door lock). But I guess this won’t be a reliable way to lock/unlock the door since you will never know when will the button register back to your mesh once you have arrived at your door. I just got my buttons today, maybe i’ll try it out tonight.

1 Like

touches wood
Third attempt at re-pairing and two buttons have stayed connected for over 3 hours…
Fingers crossed.
I have Osram bulbs, so if the buttons drop off again, I’ll try removing the bulbs to see if that helps.

One thing I’ve noticed is that within the app tile, both show as permanent pushed (i.e. The main tile is blue). This hasn’t always been the case as first time I paired one, the main tile was white, unless pushed, as you’d expect. I wonder if this has something to do with the button being in a pushed state when it first pairs? (I find it impossible to pair them without pushing the button at the same time)

Could I get little help? I have paired a cube and motion sensor but I get no logs from them. Motion just stays inactive and cube does nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

Doesn’t sound like you’ve successfully paired. See link in OP regarding pairing.

It looks like it’s the whole press on buttons lot to pair correctly. Is that correct?

Hi @a4refillpad,

Do you happen to have a DH for the Xiaomi mi smart temperature/humidity sensor?

Can you also point me to the best way to pair these devices? I ordered them and now I have 2 buttons, temperature/humidity and a door sensor which I need help pairing.

No, I don’t have one yet so not possible for me to make one for it. I haven’t had much luck in buying one too, two deliveries have failed and I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle. If anyone is really desperate for a DH they could send me one and I’ll look into but I think the one that is circulating should be perfectly usable so should not be necessary.

PM me and I can test the DH with you if you want?
But you should be able to order i via the link from the Xaiomi Sale discussion.

I don’t think there is on circulating. Everyone is using the standard temp/humdity and the catchall pairing process.

1 Like

That’ll take way too long. I don’t have that kind of time on my hands tbh.

I thought I saw something in the original thread, but must be mistaken.

If mine wasn’t floating in the tub as a failsafe to tell me if the kids have been messing around with the buttons again you could have mine :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://community.smartthings.com/t/xiaomi-devices-on-sale-buttons-sensors-cubes/78892/58?u=lmosenko

https://community.smartthings.com/t/xiaomi-zigbee-outlet-steps-to-pair-any-xiaomi-zigbee-device/67582?u=lmosenko

I can confirm 100% working after pairing via the IDE. The Network I’d found in the Event View from the hub showed the address and all I had to do is plug it into the New Device Network Id line.

I paired a Xiaomi Mi Smart Button and a Xiaomi Mi Smart Temperature/Humidity Sensor. The temperature sensor is highly sensitive to temperature changes (first observation).
The button works withe the generic button controller app.

2 Likes

Mixed results so far with two buttons. One has stayed fully functioning for a couple of days, one has stopped reacting to push/hold. Will reset and try again. Couple of questions:

The one that has stopped sending push/hold commands is still reporting check-ins and battery status every hour. So it’s still ‘there’ but just not responding to push/hold.
Is this normal?

Secondly, as per my previous post, both buttons (even the one that is works fine) are showing as permanently pushed in the status tiles in the app (i.e, the tiles are permanently blue)
Why might this be?

1 Like

No, that’s not normal. The checkins are just indications that the device is reaching the hub. Not a confirmation that all is okay.

Again not normal I’ve not seen this. The code is pretty straight forward in the handler. The virtual button is switched off as soon as it is switched on. Maybe you are experiencing latency issues? I don’t know, it’s pretty standard practice with momentary buttons to do this.
What happens when you press the virtual button? Do you get an event saying it’s switched on then off?

I have finally received a temp and humidity sensor. As before these devices do not respond to standard requests and there’s no documentation. After knocking up a draft DH I’ve found that the device is coming back with very different info to the other Xiaomi sensors.
I’m going to monitor these and dump them into a file to see if I can spot a trend and decipher what’s happening.

Will therefore take longer than previously thought…

4 Likes

Ok done. Temp and Humidity sensor DH released. Seems to work fine for me, everyone is welcome to try it if they want.

6 Likes