[OBSOLETE] Xiaomi Sensors and Button (beta)

Sure, I’m going to keep it as it is and see how it goes. Also my experimentation with a depleted battery on the temp sensor definitely looks correct. ie. when i put a new battery in it’s close to 100 and when I put an already depleted battery in, it goes down significantly after a few hours. Time will tell.

2 Likes

@vbhoj74 I had this working for two lights within the same room. Controlled by 4 Pistons.

Push
If Button pushed and Bedside light is off, then turn beside light on.

If Button pushed and Bedside light is on, then bedside light off.

Hold
If Button held, then Dresser light on.

If Button Held, and Dresser light on, then Dresser light off.

I set the Hold to 2 seconds. Didn’t have any issue, apart from a Mrs who really couldn’t get to grips with it :stuck_out_tongue: Its now a cabinet light switch in the kitchen.(I give up).

@a4refillpad, is there any indication in the logs when we get one of these paired successfully? I’m still having trouble with a couple devices, and the pairing process is so spotty, if you’ve got to just wait until it fails to know if it’s going to stay connected, it’s going to take a helluva long time to outfit a whole house. lol

I’ve tried @Pbrain’s method of adding a device, with a motion sensor and a button. will report back if they start to present battery condition, or if they drop off

I did mention in the OP that the pairing process is a pain. There is nothing in the logs that shows pairing is good, we are lucky these devices work at all. Everyone has their own technique that works best for them. I do mine in batches all together and number them with a pencil. Any that do not stay paired after 24 hours I redo. Once all done and stable I locate them around the house.

5 Likes

I’m due no credit for the method I described btw, it’s not mine…I merely provided some clear instructions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I am vigorously digging into all the documentation. I cannot find a direct article/write up on the relationship.

I guess i will just figure it as i read more.

1 Like

This is a community Wiki page and not an official site, but it does have a lot of good info. Please add anything that you come upon.

1 Like

I had the below pistons setup, which is similar to yours, just that I used the ELSE to toggle. I’ve the HELD piston in pause state, as it interferes with the PUSHED piston, if both the pistons are active and I just push the button, all the lights just blink and then turn off. I had the HELD time set to 1 sec, then tried with 2 sec, maybe will try with 3 sec.

Sadly I have removed the Pistons now, as using elsewhere.

Whats your setting in the Button for “Minimum time in seconds for a press to count as “held””?

I have a strange problem with my temperature sensor. I successfully added it to smartthings my pressing the button multiple times. It was added as a smartthings multi sensor. I changed it to the right device type in the ide. Now it showed up correctly in smartthings app.

After a few mins I went back to the app and temp sensor doesn’t show any more under my devices.

When I check the activity under notifications, it keeps reporting good health and temperature correctly. I can even see it active in the ide but just can’t see it in the app.

I can see the temperature in SmartTiles as well.

I have absolutely no idea. Anyone else getting this?

I have also tried adding it to a group in the ide. When I go to the group in smartthings app, no devices under the group are displayed. It gives an error everytime I go into the group.

I removed the temp sensor and re added using the catchall method. Now it shows up fine. Will feedback if there are any more issues.

Last time when it got connected, I noticed that it never reported humidity. Now it reports humidity as well.

Just sounds like a bad pairing.

I guess it is working now, my lights were overlapping in both the PUSHED & HELD scenarios, that is how I wanted, and was getting confused maybe. I’ve made non-overlapping groups now, and things seems to work.

• thanks.
1 Like

I now have 1 temp sensor, 3 buttons, 5 door window contacts and 3 motion sensors. I have 2 more door contacts and 4 motion sensors on order… hoping they will continue to work with future updates on smartthings.

1 Like

Is the temperature sensor accurate? I’ve seen some comments on temperature sensors being way off.

I have put mine above my Hive Thermostat to compare the reading for several hours. The difference was between 0.1 and 0.2 Degree C.

2 Likes

Thanks. How’s battery life been?