[OBSOLETE] Wemo Maker

It has been looking for 30-45 minutes for the 2nd one.

Hmm, hard to say what’s happening… I’m assuming the WeMo App has not trouble finding both?

Hi Chris!

I have two Wemo Makers; one that works well with my garage door through IFTTT. The other I plan to set up to drive an alarm horn. With the IFTTT interface, there comes an inherent security risk; that is if internet is cut, subsequent communication to the Wemo Maker would also be interrupted - rendering my security system ineffective. Thus the reason I’d like the Maker recognized by my SmartThings Hub.

This being my first attempt, I have to say I’m somewhat confused with the instructional.
So, on to the progress and subsequent problems…

The first thing I did was install the Wemo (Connect) SmartApp on my iOS device from within the SmartThings App, followed by copying your first code set to My SmartApps IDE. Then, I copied the second code set to My Device Handlers in IDE - and saved both, but did not publish anything (I read somewhere that if I’m not a developer, I don’t need to or shouldn’t publish the app). I then went to Create Device and noticed at the bottom of the list a Wemo Maker. I selected this and attempted to create it, but got a 500 Internal Server Error. Also, I tried to create a simulator in My Device Handlers, but it comes up blank. Then, I attempted the same thing in My SmartApps (IDE) and it began searching for a Wemo Maker, found my Garage Door opener, but returned the error “java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property ‘value’ on null object @ line 181”.

What’s not clear (amongst many things, but it’s not you, trust me), is what you meant by “Copy the Wemo Maker device type into the IDE:”. I assumed that you meant that I was to put this in the Device Handler’s section. If not, where does it go?

Clearly I’m not doing something right, or I’m doing everything wrong. Honestly, I didn’t expect it to work because I wasn’t sure I was doing anything correctly in the first place. I have looked at (but not perused) the SmartThings Developer Documentation and have watched a YouTube video SmartApps Workshops 101 by Matt Nohr only to realize that I may be in over my head. All this notwithstanding, I believe I can do this, but it may be some time (aka much trial and error) before I’ll get it to work.

Update: While writing this, I kept futzing with things and successfully added a new Device (Wemo Maker) and it showed up (with an ACTIVATE button) in My Things list on my iOS App! However, it didn’t last long - it’s still there, but is now showing as OFFLINE.

Any help provided is most appreciated. Thank you for your time.

With enough time most anything is possible. I got it to work by simply following your instructions (and learning a little about how to create an app in the IDE).

That said, is there a way to automate my garage door to open when I arrive and close once outside of my geofence? If so, are there any routines/automations anyone would like to share?

Thanks!

I replied on the other thread you made but felt I should highlight something you mentioned about the IFTTT integration and internet loss.

Due to the fact that this SmartApp and device handler are not part of the official SmartThings stuff it won’t run locally on your hub. So if your internet is cut, this still won’t work.

1 Like

First of, thank you for the amazing work. Made the purchase completely worth it!

Second I would like to volunteer some info for the less experienced users in order to ease the installation a bit. If you disagree with the post for whatever reason I would be happy to remove it.

To install I followed these steps:

1. visit https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ and login with your credentials
  2. under my smartapps create a new smartapp and select the tab from code
  3. copy the code from the 1st expanded window provided by our kind dev.
  4. save and publish “for me”
  5. move to the tab on top called my device handlers.
  6. select create a new device handler
  7. select the from code tab
  8. copy the code from the second window after expanded.and paste it into the device handler
  9. save and publish “for me”
  10. Go onto your smartthings app and find under marketplace --> smartapps --> my apps (at the very button)
  11. Follow prompts
  12. Thank Kriskit for being awesome!

Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Can anyone confirm that this still works? Mine can’t seem to find my Maker any more

It’s still working for me.

Thanks worked great for me. Thanks for your work on it!

Thanks much Joe, this was very helpful

Its been a while but I originally set it up with the Wemo app. I had that hub before I switched to Smarthings. Now via somethings I can voice control the door with my Amazon echo\dots. This device uses the ip to connect. From my experience those are the easiest to connect. I would suggest you get power to it and hit the button that connects and look for the led signal that indicates its searching. Then start the add device in smartthings and it should be searching too. When they find each other just follow the prompts.

I added my signal lead into the existing door open limit switch (the one that shuts off the motor when the door opens) by soldering leads from the button to open/close the door and put one contact across both sides of that switch wired to the maker signal leads. You can read the status of that switch to tell if the door is open or closed. I flipped the logic that says a made switch (it’s really closed when door is up) means the door is open. When its an open contact that says the door is open. No need to reverse your thinking about the state of the switch. When you check the app open is open closed is closed.

I have seen others purchase a limit switch to wire in but I just used the ones that are already there. I’m sure that also works but it seemed redundant.

This works great. There are more garage door opener equivalents but from what I saw those were 20-50 dollars more. Maybe that has changed. Good Luck.

My Wemo Maker isn’t recognized any longer either.

I got it to work for me again. I selected ‘Refresh client secret’ in the OAuth settings, then readded my Maker.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this - I just got this set up a bit ago and so far, it has been successful. I’m hoping it continues working in the long run.

Any chance of getting the WeMo Dimmer set up, too? :slight_smile:

First of all - Thank you for making this. I’ve used it with my WeMo-Maker on my garage door for months now and it works flawlessly. I have a request and don’t know if feasible, but thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Currently, when my garage door is shut, it shows that the “Contact is Open” and when the door is open it shows “Contact is Closed.” Would there perhaps be a way to be able to customize the name of “Contact” as well as the “Open” & “Closed” values? I have a workaround using IFTTT and pushover, but it doesn’t respond nearly as quickly as pushes from the SmartThings app which currently pushes “Contact is Closed” whenever someone opens the garage door. :slight_smile: Considered editing script, but didn’t want to mess with a good thing as not familiar with that code.

Just thought I’d ask. Thanks!

Thank you for pulling this together it is exactly what I am looking for. I have the device handler and smart app set up and published in my IDE (can see it from my mobile) but when I attempt to discover my wemo maker nothing is found. I am able to control the maker via the Wemo app on iOS. Has anyone been able to solve it not being discovered? It is running firmware WeMo_WW_2.00.10926.PVT-OWRT-Maker. Any suggestions?

I don’t think you can change the name “Contact” as it’s part of the capability for the device handler.

If you want to invert the contact so that when the door is open, it says “Open” you can configure this under the device settings (the cog when on the device screen - then toggle “Invert Sensor”. That might be the best you can do without writing something more custom.

How long did you wait? Mine can sometimes take a good few minutes before it’ll discover them.

@Kriskit This works awesome I have been using it to automate my gas fireplace. Thank you! I was wondering if you have Git Hub integration for this device handler? I have been trying different combinations of your user, repository, and branch but have been striking out.

It is set up for Github and is working for me… I am using the following:

Hope that helps