[OBSOLETE] Weather Station Tile 2.0

Thanks for the info i will fix tomorrow and update !

Weather (what I named the device type and device) shows up under Temperature, Hygrometer, and Luminosity. It doesn’t show up under Weather
 (oddly enough).

This is what the dashboard looks like with those three on it.

Terry, you know it’s not possible to select this device under the Weather option on SmartTiles, how do you want somebody to test this?
A couple of weeks ago I’ve created a DH with the exact same name “smartweatherStationTile” and a new Device and It did not show on SmartTiles. Maybe on version 6?

1 Like

I forgot the particulars of this

Currently, the only way for this new DTH to be usable as a “Weather Tile” in SmartTiles V5 is for it to be published as a replacement of the SmartThings official one; i.e., somebody would have to do a Pull Request against this:

In the meantime, you can have an instance of both that official Smart Weather Station Tile, and the new one. And, from either or both Devices, you can create three single Capability tiles from the declared supported Capabilities (as shown in @bamarayne’s post above).

capability "Illuminance Measurement"
capability "Temperature Measurement"
capability "Relative Humidity Measurement"

The reason, in case readers don’t know, is that SmartTiles (properly) bases its Tiles on the official published “Capabilities” ( http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html ), because, well, that’s what the input() command uses to present the users’s Devices for selection, and the matching of capability to device instance is what make the difference between a 
 Contact Sensor Tile and a Temperature Sensor Tile, even if they are 2 Capabilities of the same physical Device.

Weather Tile is one of very few exceptions; there is no “Capability Weather”, so there’s no way to filter all of the devices and just allow selection of this “weather device” except by it’s full type name, and those only work if in the published SmartThings device list, with type = “device.smartweatherStationTile”.

The lack of any ability to create new Capabilities on the fly (especially “compound capabilities”) is a serious constraint, but SmartThings has other priorities to figure out before revamping capability, I guess.

Possibly for Version 6 we will try to look at other Attributes of a Device than just “Capability”, and that will help us support all sort of custom and compound device types. I know @625alex has been exploring this already.

1 Like

Its working great here on Android and I really like the appearance of it - Just one small question.

The wind Condition tile is not being populated - the same as @bamarayne android screen print above. Any pointers on how I might debug it to get this tile working?

Thanks

When a SmartApp input asks for a device handler rather than capability, that device handler must be the official one.

1 Like

@Freddy , could you please tell me whats your zipcode? I could try to set it as mine and check the response.

It’s ME13 7JE in the UK

Mine won’t populate either

I had same problem for some reason android doesn’t like the carriage return (in the description not the label) in the wind info
 just remove that and it should populate fine albeit on one line.

hmmm this zip doesnt work for me i tried alltogether and a space after 13

@bamarayne whats your zip?

Try mine in Canada T8N 6P2.

BTW, wind has 2 fields, one in km/h, the other in mph.

1 Like

ok so i changed the wind description and removed the carriage return as suggested per @Lgkahn, since it all works ok on iphone.
Also added the extra code for future smarttiles compatibility
Please update from github and let me know

I am at work so it might take some time to respond :slight_smile:

great catch on the wind field, i corrected and pushed the update as well, thanks

That change works well for me.
Thanks

1. Thanks

Funny thing. This is what my tile looks likes.

On a PC, you can change the ? to the ° symbol by going into the Device Handler and finding the ? in the appropriate locations and replacing it by typing 0176 on the numeric keypad while holding the ALT key. You must hold the ALT key and you must use the numeric keypad.

Initially my text was various sizes like yours but changing the ? to ° fixed the text problem as well.

2 Likes

Don’t forget to click save!

That was easy.

1 Like