[OBSOLETE] Weather Station Tile 2.0

The update was yesterday so after your 4/16 install.

You still need to follow the instructions.

1 Like

Thanks. I have more updated as per your instructions in the app and it refreshes now.

2 Likes

Hey there, just installed the device, looks good!

One issue though: the field for “Rain Last Hour” shows as -999.00 in.

Mine isn’t showing that. Is it possible the weather station it’s linked to is misreporting?

yeah mine doesnt show this either. Its a misreport i believe. If you try to refresh does it change? Could you check on the logs what it shows?

@takissd Hello, where would I alter the code to have the app refresh in 10 minutes instead of 15?

All good now, not sure why it showed that for a while, sorry for the false alarm.

there is a function called runEvery15Minutes() in the code but this one comes from ST and you cannot really alter this.
If you wanted something more custom, use an external app like pollster or watchdog or CoRE to refresh your app sooner. I am not aware of other solutions

2 Likes

runEvery10Minutes() is a legitimate method as well. You could simply replace it if you desired this.

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/smartapp-developers-guide/scheduling.html

[quote]The currently available methods are:

runEvery1Minute()
runEvery5Minutes()
runEvery10Minutes()
runEvery15Minutes()
runEvery30Minutes()
runEvery1Hour()
runEvery3Hours()[/quote]

I still question the need for further granularity than 15 minutes. Even 5 or 10 minutes. You’re relying on a weather station that needs to also update their weather and push it to servers and be accessible through the API that is being used. You simply don’t get minute by minute updates in a system such as this.

If you’re looking for more realtime control, you might want to think about buying and installing your own weather station. This isn’t magic, if you want SmartThings to know the minute it is raining or snowing, hitting an API such as this isn’t going to fulfill that unless you’re okay with some delay and potentially inaccurate data.

EDIT: When making a schedule change via code, as discussed earlier, you’ll need to ‘Refresh’ the SmartApp but going to setting and hitting ‘Done’. This removes all existing schedules and then recreates them now.

2 Likes

Im trying to use this for the “water” status in a core piston but when add capability > sensor > smart weather tile 2 > attribute > “water” > comparison > is >

the only options I get are “wet” and “dry” when the only thing that ever really returns for “water” is true / false.

is there a restriction set on this “water” section that will only let core look for wet/dry?
Can I change something in the app code so I can actually select true/false vs wet/dry?

If you want to create pistons based upon the attributes I’d suggest creating additional attributes in the Device Handler. I noticed that a number of them are strings, but that wasn’t useful for seeing if the amount of rain today was greater than a value, for example.

I created a new number attribute of precipTodayMM which I use in CoRE to see if it’s rained to determine whether to turn on my irrigation system.

2 Likes

@tgauchat or @625alex, has there been any consideration in ActionTiles for custom DTH such as this SmartWeather Station Tile 2.0? Preferably, ActionTiles could show all values or allow you to select which ones within a single tile. In my case, I’d like to see wind direction and other values specific to my personal weather station.

We lean heavily towards prioritizing the official Capabilities first, so if your DTH claims and conforms exactly to Capability(s) in the Developer Docs, that’s the recommended approach.

Eventually we may expand into extended DTHs (ie, custom ad hoc Attributes and Commands) in a generalized interface, but it’s still more likely that we’ll hard code specific extended Attributes & Commands for particularly popular DTHs. If DTH developers could get together and agree to create pseudo-capabilites then that increases the number of potential customers considerably.

But do you really think that’s likely without official leadership from SmartThings?

@tgauchat , I am willing to get with others to agree to create pseudo-capabilities for my DTH. Please let me know how and when and i can make it happen! I would love to see it integrated to Actiontiles, i have bought and using it happily!

You’re going to need to get Developers that can bring in at least a few hundred new ActionTiles customers.

Post the proposed Capability and “Device(s)” to our ActionTiles Forum (ActionTiles Forum / AT Support & Ideas) as a new Topic, and the Topic Vote feature will determine the number of interested people.

No clue! Just asked a question. I’m one of your newest customers. I’m relatively new to the automation space and the community. Feeling very welcomed!

Well
 Let me add a really big WELCOME to you then! Glad you’ve joined.

I’ve been here over 4 years, so my 
 perspective 
 is a little different. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Is there a smart app that will read the data in the “rain in the last hour” field and alert me if my windows are open? I want to be alerted if my weather station starts recording rain and my windows are open.

CoRE or WebcoRE are your best bet.

1 Like

After updating to the latest android app I am getting some missing values: