[OBSOLETE] Vision Shock Sensor (ZS 5101)

Update. Got it to work!!

Here is what I did, don’t deviate from steps. These are detailed steps and are basically what are in this thread (thanks) just combined and made for an average user. It may look complicated for avg user but it actually is not if you follow steps. Use multiple web page tabs to stay on track. Have phone/tablet & sensor next to you within range of ST HUB.

If you have previously installed krlaframboise Device Handler using ST DEV website (see step 4 for more info), click Device Handler, click DEVICE TYPE SETTINGS, scroll down and DELETE it.
If you have previously installed this Sensor start at Step 1
If you have not previously installed sensor start at Step 2

1. Exclude Sensor (execute removal on ST App, Open sensor, quickly press tamper button, after it is removed, replace cover)

2. Factory Reset of Sensor (remove cover, pull battery out, hold down tamper button, replace batter, release tamper button after light flashes, let sensor sit for 15 seconds or so, replace cover)

3. Add Sensor (On ST App, add a thing, open sensor cover, quickly press tamper button, sensor should be added within seconds, replace cover

—at this point the sensor should work with stock Device Handler

4)Open ST Developer http://developer.smartthings.com/ (requires an account (free) if you do not have one already), Login, click MY DEVICE HANDLERS

5)Get krlafamboise custom Device Handler code on GitHub (no account needed) https://github.com/krlaframboise/SmartThings/blob/master/devicetypes/krlaframboise/vision-shock-sensor.src/vision-shock-sensor.groovy - click RAW button, copy all the code as is.

6)Go back to ST Developer site - click CREATE NEW DEVICE HANDLER, click FROM CODE - then PASTE in code from Step 5, click

1. On ST Developer Site - Click MY DEVICE HANDLERS, Find the sensor you added, scroll to bottom, click EDIT, go to TYPE, change it to VISION SHOCK SENSOR, click UPDATE

2. Go to ST APP, find sensor and test sensor by gently knocking it (light should briefly come on). You should see in sensor GUI (Battery, Last Activity, Refresh, Tamper Clear). if not, try again.

One last thing - I think if you have issues removing the device (Step 1) you can remove it from the ST Dev website under MY DEVICES > Select Sensor > DELETE. Again, I think this is the same as Step 1. Maybe someone with a higher pay grade can chime in about this. If you did this you would then start on Step 2.

@krlaframboise Kevin or anybody else in this thread that owns a Monoprice 15269, were any of you able to get an external sensor working? The Vision Shock Sensor supports this but does the Monoprice sensor? There weren’t headers for an external sensor but I soldered headers and connected a simple current sensor which essentially open/closes the loop between the two terminals.

I assumed this would work because that’s how the contact sensor would work (closing a loop). Unfortunately, when I read voltage across the headers both show 0 volts. One of them would need volts so that the other could read continuity. Do I need to send some configuration command outside of what the handler is doing to get it to turn on one of those headers and then use the other to detect continuity?

Thanks in advance!

The external sensor doesn’t work as expected. If I remember correctly, it sends a notification when the leads are touched together, but not when they’re seperated.

Thanks for the response. And, correct, I heard that some place as well. However, I couldn’t get it to send a signal when the leads were connected or disconnected. I couldn’t get any signal out of it from those pads.

I saw on YouTube a version that had actual headers already. Mine had no headers soldered and instead just had two empty pads. I’m wondering if they also changed the firmware when they removed the headers.

Do you happen to know of a cheap Z-Wave device that supports an external open/close (loop) sensor?

The vision version already had headers.

The ecolink contact sensor

I won’t be converting the Vision Shock Sensor DTH into an Edge Driver so it will stop working once the Groovy platform is retired, but it probably doesn’t need a custom driver.

I have a number of these devices and can’t seem to find a good generic edge driver for them. Any suggestions on what I should try? I’ve tried some from Mariano and Yakov (YG) but none seem to be a good match.

thanks for any advice!

device details:
zw:S type:2001 mfr:0109 prod:2003 model:0302 ver:4.84 zwv:3.40 lib:06 cc:30,71,85,80,72,86,84

This is a simple device without any settings so why do you need a custom driver for it?

Thanks for the response –

I was assuming that the devices would become unusable after Groovy/IDE shuts down sometime soon and I would need some sort of Edge drive to keep it functioning.

If that’s not the case, then I’m happy with what I have. Thanks again!

The device should continue working as expected after the migration without you having to do anything, assuming the migration works the way ST claims it will…

Good to know – thanks for the clarification!