[OBSOLETE] Vision Shock Sensor (ZS 5101)

If you tried a different DTH before trying his you should remove the device, remove all DTHs for it except his, factory reset the device, and then add it again.

Rboy is partnered with Monoprice so if it still doesn’t work with his DTH after doing all of that then the device isn’t compatible with SmartThings and there’s no way I’ll be able to get it to work with my DTH.

Mine definitely works with your DTH. I deleted the device, deleted the your custom DTH, reset the device, and did ‘add a thing’. Tested. Then I edited the device to use your DTH. Tested.

The next day my wife said to me, “Hey I think the dryer just texted me it was done…”

1 Like

So I removed the device and then to try and go one step further I opened the second unit and paired that. Paired easy and showed up with “Monoprice Shock Sensor Device Handler v01.00.01”

Still nothing. I must have done something wrong because I don’t see any adjustment for the handler and I know I did at one time, a long time ago.

What am I doing wrong or not doing that I need to do?

Some users have been able to get the Monoprice device to work by completely removing this DTH from SmartThings, pairing the device, installing this DTH again, and then switching the device to this DTH through the IDE.

That hasn’t worked for other users and they ended up returning the device. The problem the other users have been experiencing is that the device stops communicating with SmartThings and that communication is handled outside of the DTH so there’s nothing I can do to troubleshoot or fix it.

I’m not sure I’m removing it correctly. I start the remove in the ST App and then open the door and press the little button. ST app always asks if I want to force remove.

Does that sound right?

I forget exactly what I did but I did not ‘force remove’ it. I remember that I had to try it several times until it gracefully removed. I think the manual may say how but I don’t have it handy. If you don’t have it, try various combinations of when to press and try long and short presses too.

From the instructions:

“1. Press the locking tab on the top of the sensor cover and gently remove it.
2. Following the instructions that came with your Z-Wave Controller, put it into “exclude” mode.
3. When prompted, press and hold the Program/Tamper switch on the sensor for about 1 second to complete the “exclusion” process.
4. Replace the sensor cover.”

So do I start the statthings Z Wave Utility for General Device Exclusion. I’ve run that before but never see it end or prompt anything.

Or do I remove the the device, and I have and it never prompts to press anything me but asks to force.

That force remove option is displayed when it takes longer than expected to remove a device so before using that option you should try repeating the exclusion steps a few times.

The problem other users have been experiencing with the Monoprice device is that it stops communicating with the hub so if you’re having the same problem you’ll probably have to use the force option.

If you end up using the force option the device will most likely think it’s still connected to SmartThings and you’ll have to reset it before you can include it again. The manual should have instructions for resetting the device.

I have been able to reset them and reconnect before. I usually only get the first few communications saying that it’s connected and the battery level. After that nothing. Weather I use RB or Kevin’s device handlers.

I’ll try 1 more time when I get a minute.

I have been trying a bunch of different device handlers with these things, with absolutely no luck. I’ve excluded them many times and tried different handlers, and the best I can get out of them is having their Tamper, initial state, and battery state show up as events. I never see an ‘active’ state.

One thing I’ve noticed that may be a difference is these sensors for me have the product ID with a -5 at the end, so:

KFR-ZS5101US-5

The raw description of my device is:
zw:Ss type:0701 mfr:0109 prod:2003 model:0307 ver:16.06 zwv:4.24 lib:03 cc:5E,22,85,59,80,5A,7A,72,71,73,98,86,84 role:06 ff:8C07 ui:8C07

Does this vary from what the handler was originally created for? Is there any more I can do on my end that might help debugging why these aren’t working?

Appreciate any help!

1 Like

I just got this monoprice shock sensor and tried eveything talked about above, but no go.

First I paired it to the ST hub as-is w/o the DH.

Status only showed open.

Then I removed it.

Then I re-added it and added the DH and changed the device to the DH.

Then I refreshed several times to get the new DH to show.

Status only shows inactive despite the sensor light blinking when vibrated.

So, I think what it talked about above where the sensor stops communicating with the hub is the case.

It could be the same firmware problem that the Monoprice version had.

A lot of users couldn’t get it to work at all, but others were able to get it to work by removing it, factory resetting it, deleting my DTH, adding the device to SmartThing, installing/pushing my DTH, and then changing it to my DTH through the IDE.

I thought rboy confirmed there was an issue with the firmware in the latest batch of the Monoprice Shock Sensors, but I can’t find that post so it might have been a different device.

I believe the Vision and Monoprice shock sensors are the same so it could be the same problem effecting the recently sold Vision shock sensors.

1. First and foremost, @krlaframboise, you are an absolute ROCKSTAR sir! Just wanted to say THANKS! A sincere appreciation for all the work with the DH’s you provide.

2. I recently purchased Monoprice PID 15269 (Z-Wave Plus® Shock Detector), thus how I stumbled upon this thread. Like others, this sensor has been a royal PITA to pair/include with SmartThings

Each time it would pair as “Z-wave plus door/window sensor”, stay “OPEN” and not report back status. The Samsung ST Android App would say something about a key exchange error and need to delete and try again if it wouldn’t connect.

Thanks to the comment from @StevenH123 about having to “Exclude”, I finally was able to get the Monoprice sensor working,**. Nothing else worked prior to this and the vision device sensor did not need to be removed either

After all this, I can only conclude that this device (or the hub perhaps?) requires exclusion to perform a true factory reset. Once excluded, I was able to include again. First device I’ve ever had to mess with “Exclusion”, but hey, it’s working.

If anyone needs it, since MP did not post this on their site, attached is the full scanned copy of the Monoprice manual.

1 Like

I have spent an entire afternoon and night (1:30am now) to get this working and have failed. At some point I got it to show active with Kevin’s DTH, but not any more.

What is the proper way to reset the device? The instructions are a little unclear. Comments in [ ] are mine.

1. Press the locking tab on the top of the sensor cover and gently remove the cover [OK I got that]

2. Remove the batter [OK I got that]

3. Press and hold the Program/Tamper Switch for about 5 seconds and at the same time, reinsert the battery. [I interpret this to mean as soon as I press the switch, I put the battery in] The sensor will reset to the default values and transmit the DEVICE RESET LOCALLY NOTIFICATIOn command class to the controller. The LED will be steadily illuminated for about 5 seconds [mine only stays steady for less than 2 seconds], then it will start flashing to indicate that it is not “included” in a network.

Also, do you guys adjust the sensitivity or just leave it at the default position (middle)?

Do you guys test it by tapping the device itself or the table?

I got this “warning” in Live Logging during adding of the device:
Unable to extract encapsulated cmd from SecurityMessageEncapsulation(commandByte: [95, 197, 90, 180, 220, 207, 203, 56, 245, 102, 80, 77, 225, 189, 116, 101, 243, 0, 62, 10], commandClassIdentifier: 104, commandIdentifier: 122, reserved13: 0, secondFrame: false, sequenceCounter: 14, sequenced: false)

Any help will be appreciated. I like a challenge, but this is taking way too much time. I had envisioned setting something like this up at my parents’ place, but I can only imagine how often I have to show up to repair the system.

Tom

Sorry I don’t remember how to reset. I just tried doing every combination with long & short pushes and the battery. As far as the sensitivity, I played around with it and found that for my dryer it needed to be set more sensitive than default. I don’t think it matters how you test it. I tapped it, flicked it, shook it and even clipped it to my lazy dog’s collar. I debated between using it as a dryer sensor and a dog-fit-bit. The dryer won.

Thanks. I have given up. I’ll RMA it. This is taking way too much time. I like the dog fitbit. hahahaha

The older non z-wave plus version worked great, but I think most users that have purchased it within the last 4-5 months have the z-wave plus model and they’ve been having a lot of problems with it.

I followed the steps of excluding, factory reset, add, then add device handler here, then changed the device to the device handler. I get the correct Device Handler GUI, I can send refresh messages, but nothing more.

Noticed there is no Zigbee ID…yes it is Zwave plus so maybe that is why???

I can’t get it work. Pissed off Monoprice is even selling this.

Contact Monoprice…