[RELEASE] Virtual Garage Door Opener/Controller with Relays and Contact/Tilt/Door Sensors

I’ve been wanting to implement a garage door opener for a while. I was going to use an ESP8266 with custom code that uses MQTT and a relay. I has planned on integrating video from my garage camera into the app which would require a bit to work to do as it’s an older DVR and I can only access the video using rtsp. A while back, I had a test working where I was able to use ffmpeg to convert to the rtsp stream to a usable format but at the time, I had no way to integrate it into SmartThings. I think that has since changed but I haven’t had a chance to look into it.

I decided to just implement the opener with no video for now. I used a Remotec Zwave Dry Contact Fixture Module. Costs a little more than I wanted to spend but it’s UL Listed and fits in a standard single gang box. It’s also adjustable so you can move the mounts and make it flush mount so it can be covered with a blank wall plate. The only issue I have with it is it is a tiny bit larger than a standard decora wall plate so you have to shave the plate about 1/32 of an inch for it to fit.

So far, it has worked flawlessly.

The only suggestion I have is implementing a live camera feed into the app.

Virtual Garage Door Manager SmartApp - v01.04.01

• Added basic support for new ST app

Virtual Garage Door Controller Device Handler - v01.02.03

• Added basic support for new ST app

Hello everyone… first I want to thank the writers of this module and all the people that tested it to get this great piece of software to where it is today. I am looking to incorporate this and all I have is the ST hub at this point with a few light switches on it.

Am I right assuming that all I need is a door switch of some type, and some sort of relay to trigger it like pushing the button? If the switch is not momentary, will ST be able to switch it off? Or would it be better to get a momentary swabs switch of some kind that switches itself off?

Thanks for any guidance you may have on this.

2 Likes

Check out the 2nd post and then the subsequent posts where folks have shared their setups/recommendations.

Thanks - looks like this will work to trigger the garage door, yes?

The link to this on Amazon is here: Remotec Zwave Dry Contact Fixture Module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00913ATFI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1b1YBbT9R6YB8

This and a Zwave magnetic door switch to report open/closed status. I think this virtual garage door controller here will turn the relay on and off - did I read that correctly? Thank you for the guidance - going to be installing this next weekend!

Edit: Hey I did not read this very carefully. I am not familiar with this app and how it works, so Ignore my original comments.
—————-

Original comments
Change the device type for relays like the remotec to virtual contact switch, by doing this SmartThings will automatically turn off the relay after a couple of seconds.

Other relays can be set to auto toggle in hardware. Relays like the qubino and mimolite and mimo+ can be set to auto toggle.

Awesome, thank you for the info. I’ll do that. I just paid for the access to this code so once I get those two pieces, I’ll be ready to install everything.

Does this have the ability to send me alerts if the door is left open after we leave the house and nobody is home? Or is that just something I set up separately outside of this controller? Just want to get an alert that the garage door was left open and then use this code to remotely close it.

Thanks - really looking forward to installing this!

For a simple alert you can just use SHM to monitor your doors.

If you want to your garage doors to be open/close automatically when people arrive/leave check out the Garage Door Open/Close Automatically SmartApp (No 21). It allows you to select individual doors to open/close when people arrive or leave. It also has the ability to check if a Garage Door was left open (e.g. after arriving or opening manually) for a predetermined period of time and then close it automatically.

1 Like

Could you explain how you made this happen? Thank you

Hi, the Vision single relay devices do not seem to be available. What relay is recommended?

Any luck finding a relay? I’m looking also.

I used the Qubino Dry Contact relay model #ZMNHND3

Custom handler found here, but probably not nessecary.

https://github.com/erocm123/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/devicetypes/erocm123/qubino-flush-1d-relay.src/qubino-flush-1d-relay.groovy

It works well so far.

I use a Remotec zfm-80. It’s been rock solid for a good long while.

This is working great with my gogogate. I used a virtual switch to invoke a ifttt action. I do have a question. I also use it to control my gate. Perhaps in a next version adapt the app as gate controller also? Just adding a gate icon would be sufficient. I fixed it for myself but an official version would be nice :smile:

1 Like

Virtual Garage Door Manager SmartApp - v01.04.01

• < No change >

Virtual Garage Door Controller Device Handler - v01.02.04

• Allow users to pick their own garage door icon in preferences (gear icon)

Hi everyone, I am not an electrician but pretty much handy so I would like to get some guidance from people in here who have used the Qubino Flush 1D. Can you share how to wire it? Can I connect it to the garage door wall switch instead?

Thanks!

I know this post is pretty old, but I’m trying to figure out how to wire up the Vision dual relay for this application. From what I can tell it’s not a dry contact relay. Perhaps I’m just looking at it wrong.

Yeah, everything looked good with nothing connected, but I did not see a way to make the Vision dual relay a dry contact either. It seems like it was implied as possible at the beginning.

Instead I just bought two Finder 46.52.8.120.0040 dry contact relays with Finder 97.02 bases to add to the outputs of the Vision relay, and then connected the garage door opener wires to these Finder relays. These were like $16 each at McMaster Carr (which means I probably paid too much), and I was able to put two of these and the Vision dual relay in a double gang weather resistant box to make it look a bit neater mounted on the rail above one of the garage door openers.

Gotcha. Thanks man.

Looks like Monoprice no longer sells the following:

Monoprice Z-Wave Garage Door Sensor, NO LOGO - Monoprice.com