[RELEASE] Virtual Garage Door Opener/Controller with Relays and Contact/Tilt/Door Sensors

Would I be able to use your setup with the following. I do have two Ecolink tilt sensors one on each garage.
Here is the basic setup.
I have two Garage doors
Parts needed:

1 Dual Channel Smart Plug Inovelli works great as it has a seconds timer
2 xcell AC 110V H3Y-2 Time Delay Relay Solid State Timer 0-60S DPDT w Socket. Link to relays
Two 120 volt plugs with wire to feed the relays
Two or 4 conductor wire depending on how many doors since I have two doors four conductor.
Rember if one door use one of each item.

Now the crust of it. The object of my project was to open each door by activating the Smart plug. The Smart plug feeds the relay and the relay goes to the two switch terminals on the garage door opener. Now the Smart plug when activated stays on only 1 second enough to activate the relay. The relay goes on and has a built in timer that once makes contact turns off after 1 second.

AS other people have mentioned the timer in the relay isn’t necessary as the garage door opener only takes a momentary switch. But being very cautious I added the timer. To be honest these relays were cheap, and you can get them even cheaper. So even if I turned off the timer it would still be a worth while project. If you need more detail, let me know.

1 Like

You could use a momentary switch instead of a relay but I haven’t come across any.

The Inovelli Smart Plug Dual has a built in timer, so I have mine set for 1 second, so essentially it is a momentary switch.

1 Like

Great, you should be able to use that as well instead of the Relay

NO Joy, I tried to save when I entered everything. I entered the garage name, the Open / Close sensor, and the switch which is the Inovelli Dual channel outlet. I get an error. Below are the screenshots. Help would be appreciated. My setup flowchart is also below.

Thanks for this!
It’d be awesome to support the acceleration sensing of the Samsung multi-sensor to more accurately/quickly report the closing/opening state.

The switch doesn’t expose itself as a relay in SmartThing, if you have a custom device handler for your switch, just add the line

capability “Relay Switch”

to the your device handler and it should show up as a Relay in SmartThings.

I tried, take a look at this screenshot. As you see I added it but get errors on saving.

It appears to be a typo, you’ve got some stray/unprintable character in that line somewhere is what the error message is saying. Also notice how the line is black and the rest of the capabilities are in red. Try typing it manually

OK it now shows, but still not going to work. The problem is the Inovelli dual smart plug has a Parent switch and two child switches. So the only thing shows is the Parent. I need the children to show, other wise both doors open together.

Not sure about how that handler works, does it create separate devices for the child switches or just the parent? If this is a parent child type device handler you should add the capability to the child handler so the children show up as the relay switches.

It creates a Parent Master then two child channels. Below is a screenshot.

Maybe you need to exclude and repair your device, when it creates the children it would have used the capabilities of the then parent device.

I’m putting out this poll to understand the different types of relay devices folks are using and how they show up in SmartThings so we can improve the solution.

Do you relay devices show up as “switches” or “relay switches” in SmartThings

• Switch
  • Relay Switch

0 voters

No this is a modified version of the DTH provided by SmartThings. The original version did not allow naming of each channel. That was tried. Any ideas would be helpful. Here is the DTH I am using.

On mine the only way I see the child is as a Toggle Switch.

That’s just a switch.

Did you try excluding and repairing it after making the DTH modifications.

Yes, all that shows is the Parent in your App.

Tagging the DTH author @erocm1231. Maybe Erik can suggest how to get the child devices to show up as Relay Switches.

I sent Eric a message, but I am not sure I explained this properly.