[RELEASE] Virtual Garage Door Opener/Controller with Relays and Contact/Tilt/Door Sensors

Does this only work with the zwave relays or the relays that are listed above? I am hoping to use a smart switch (ihome control isp5) with a RIB relay to act as the relay piece in conjunction with the SmartThings Multi-Purpose sensor setup for a garage door sensor. While waiting for the RIB relay to arrive and connect, I tried setting up the device via the SmartApp, selecting the isp5 as the “Relay switch” and the multi-purpose sensor as the “Open/Close sensor” - when I try to Save everything it initially says it updates it but then I get an error saying “Installing device Garage Door 2 failed”

Any ideas on what’s going wrong here?

Minor enhancement release

Virtual Garage Door Manager SmartApp - v01.04.01

• < No change >

Virtual Garage Door Controller Device Handler - v01.02.05

• Report the momentary event when pushed (toggled)

You can use any contact sensor instead of a tilt sensor, here are a few:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15268
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15270
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24259

You can find a lot of options on @TheSmartestHouse

1 Like

Is there anyway to have this appear in Google home as a device with an open/close trait?

I’d like to be able to say “open/close the garage” to google assistant.

I am able to hack it by creating a routine within Google home app that has the command “open the garage” which “turns on” the garage.

The problem with this is that the garage may already be open or if i say the command “close the garage” I would expect the garage to close when it may be opening.

I’m running a smart switch wired into the garage door to control the opening/closing and a multipurpose sensor to determine the garage door state.

On popular request

Virtual Garage Door Manager SmartApp - v01.05.00

• Added support for controllers with separate Open/Close relays
  • Added support to detect manual deletion of virtual garage door device

Virtual Garage Door Controller Device Handler - v01.03.00

• Added support to detect manual deletion of virtual garage door device

@RBoy @maddie

The device does not work in the new app. From the main tile it only works when I try to open the door.

In the device the Door and Garagedoor tile both work for opening. But for closing only the garagedoor tile works. If I try to close with the door tile I get a network error

It’s a bug with the new ST app, the door control tile isn’t sending the command to the DTH. You can send a bug report to ST support.

1 Like

Would it be possible to add an extra open/close sensor to confirm when the door is fully open? And maybe a notification if the door did not fully open or close?

I’ve been using the Virtual Garage Door Opener/Controller for almost 2 years with no issues until today. I noticed the app shows my door state as Unknown and the open and close buttons do not work. I’ve rebooted my hub and updated the device handler and smartapp as I was a couple versions behind. Same issue. The relay that opens and closes the door works as expected when triggered separately and the sensor that detects open and closed states is also working as expected. It last successfully worked at 12:20 PM ET.

Anyone else having issues as well?

Yes, there was a ST platform update/deployment yesterday which broke many devices and smartapps. Reported it to ST, hopefully they’ll fix it soon and things should start working.

Is that why my Garage doors say unknown?

Yes we also noticed it, it’s not specific to this device. Apparently there some update to ST yesterday which has broken many apps and DTHs. It looks like a bug in the platform and things should start working as soon as it’s fixed. You can track it here.

UPDATE: It appears to be fixed now and things should be back to normal. If you’re having issues you may need to recreate your virtual doors or feel free to PM me.

Thank you for the heads up. Hopefully they fix it soon.

1 Like

It seems to be working now.

I’m using a relay to open a metal gate I have outside, but after much research I couldn’t find any decent sensor for said gate here in the UK.
Since I only open/close the gate via SmartThings, my current solution is to set it to close and open according to the last time the relay was activated, but sometimes it fails.
Would your app allow me to do something similar?

Thank you very much

Anyone seeing Unknown again for their door status and it won’t open and close? The problem returned for me some time today between 8:08 AM ET and 9:05 AM ET.

Log shows this when I try to refresh status:

1:15:00 PM: trace Refresh called for Garage Attach Opener from num null
1:15:38 PM: info Current state of null is null

Yes so am I, worked for one day then SmartThings did something again.

Try to delete it the virtual garage door from the ST mobile app and then recreate it using the Virtual Garage Door manager app (open it and tap Done/Save). Yes, ST did do something which corrupted existing virtual devices, recreating them seems to restore it…

Something else is going on with smartthings in general. Most of my devices don’t work or aren’t working properly. I’m seeing a lot of errors. Just trying to turn off or on a light, I get the following

1:55:15 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method multiply() on null object @line 505 (on)
1:57:19 PM: error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method multiply() on null object @line 513 (off)

If you’re facing issue with devices across your account it’s better to post it here to get the attention of the staff members. Null value Attributes throwing NumberFormatException

UPDATE: ST engineers have fixed the issue so thing should be back to normal now. If not please report on the link above.