[Release] Vehicle Remote Start (SmartStart) Integration

Thanks John, that would be hugely appreciated! I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.

@john159753. Good evening John, Iā€™m looking forward anxiously to what you might be able to come up with in regards to this smart start issue weā€™re all seeming to be having. Just wondering if you were able to come up with anything yet? I would be ever grateful and willing to donate for your help. Winter is soon upon us, and I will hugely miss the features I had with my outdated moduleā€¦ Thanks again John for any help you can lend.

@john159753. Hey John, just curious if you have been able to find some time yet to come up with a solution to this Viper Smart Start new module issue weā€™re having here. As winter is upon us here, I would be ever grateful if someone had a solution to this. Thanks in advance for any help anyone might have.

Iā€™ve spent some time on this today - and im hitting a road block.

With all the move to the new smartthings app - it looks like the old way to create integrations isnt workingā€¦ Im really not sure at this point and documentation is all over the placeā€¦

Still investigating, but i havent forgotten this.

Huge appreciation for you working on this! I really hope youā€™re able to figure something out. I guess that biggest issue is how to get Smartthings to find my vehicle. With my old module being linked to coltcalamp I believe, my new one is not and I have no clue how to find it and what needs to be done. It is registered with directechs.com. Looking forward to hearing from you again, hopefully with good news! :+1:

I just made real good progress on this. Looks like some functions were deprecated (or the documentation is just wrong). But I was able to get around that. Below is the link.

This integration is loosely based off of what my custom integrations were. This is very largely untested, and the error handling is probably not ready for the masses. But it definitely works for my car.

Create/Save/Publish the SmartApp I provided, and Create/Save/Publish the DTH as well.

You should be able to load this SmartApp (tested in new ST app). It simply just asks username and password. If everything works right it should discover all your cars and create a new ā€œThingā€ for each car it discovers. If it doesnā€™t work right, its likely you just entered the incorrect username and password. It doesnā€™t even throw a proper alert if your Username/Password is wrong. - thats how quick nā€™ dirty this isā€¦

The car object doesnā€™t really appear the best in the new app. I still have to figure out how to get things to look correctly thereā€¦ its very very different from the programmatic side.

Nonetheless - you should be able to start the car from the new app (doesnā€™t look like you can lock). Old app you can lock/unlock, start etc. If you use action tiles, home assistant or anything like that- the locking and starting should work fine. I donā€™t know what the old integration did, but this one polls the cars data every 3 hours by default. In the old app you can trigger a refresh manually. In both apps you can drill into the options and choose how frequently you want to update. I know in the old system (colt) there was a use counter, it counted downward and I calculated at 3 hours I wouldnā€™t use all my commands. In this new system I couldnā€™t find any sort of counter, so I honestly set mine to be quicker. Set it at your own discretion and be prepared to call up directed if you drilled through some hidden counter because you refreshed your cars status every minute.

A couple final notes - I really cant express enough how me getting this to work with my car might not cover everyoneā€™s use case. I can already tell you that if you dont have your cars make and model loaded into the SmartStart app - it might blow up just right there. Also - there is a new concept of tokens in this. Every time you need to do anything a token is requested from the VCP API, this token has a lifetime of ~45 minutes. Rather than asking for a new token every single the we want to do anything, I am storing the token and its expiry in a state variable. Before every request we check if the token is expired and request a new one if it is.

Iā€™m here to help support, but I cant guarantee anything.

Ohhh I love seeing the progress. @kkleef let me know how it works out. Iā€™ll have to look into upgrading if it works well. Maybe Johnā€™s progress can help others improve it to get lock, unlock etc.

@john159753, wow Iā€™m thrilled to give this a try! Question: you have two codes there, smartstart app , and smartstart car. Theyā€™re both listed as smartstart app and dth: which one do I add as a smartapp and which one do I add as the dth? I already installed the smartstart app as a smartapp. Do I create both of them as a smartapp AND a dth? So in total 4 creations?Thanks!

So I added the smartstart app as a smartapp, and the smartstart car as a dth. The smartstart app doesnā€™t load as a dth, so I guess I probably answered my own question already, lol. Now to see if the smartthings app will find them.

Holy crap, I can actually start my truck through my Smartthings app again! I didnā€™t think Iā€™d ever have this function again after I upgraded my module. Many thanks to @john159753 for making this happen! Iā€™ll perform a few tests with running a schedule and see how it all works in the next few days.

Perfect!

Does the updating work also?

@guarddog13 - Learning how to make the interface for the new app is on my list of things to figure out. I have a few custom devices that just dont look right in the new app.

Someone released a processes on this a few months ago - its just the doc was unclear about alot of things and needed more work. If someone out there can help explaining how to make it work - im all ears.

Thanks alot John!! Installed and had working in 5 minutes. Start/Stop only but love it. Thanks again!

Will there be some way to lock and unlock as well? That would be a huge plus to this too. I have it set on my Smartthings App to refresh every 10 minutes. So far itā€™s doing that according to the history. Any idea what the ā€œpower meterā€ reading is for in the app under the history tab? Also, I have it set on a test schedule to start once the temp reaches 10C , but I also would like to set an automation to have it stop running after say 5 minutes instead of the full 15 minute run time set up on the smart start app itself. Any idea how to set that up? I tried something but I have yet to know if itā€™ll work until it actually starts. I also need to figure out how to have smartthings send me an sms once it starts my truck. Thatā€™s how I had my old one set up too. Lots of fun!

Iā€™m meaning updating my viper. I refuse to update from my 3g device until this integration works. I assisted Ken with his 3g device but canā€™t code so Iā€™ve been watching this thread ever since @kkleef upgraded his Viper.

Okay so hereā€™s my update so far. I set up a test schedule for my truck to start after reaching a set temperature, it fired up when that was reached. I also set up another automation for the truck to turn off after 5 minutes if it was running. That worked as well. Hopefully it doesnā€™t shut off after 5 minutes if Iā€™m driving it too! Lol. So far it looks good. Now just need it to send me a text message when it started and stopped. So thrilled that this is working again! A huge thanks to John for making this happen!

Iā€™ve just got this working but Off turns the car on and On shuts it down againā€¦ itā€™s no major issue, but is anyone else seeing that?

I saw the same issue when I set up mine too. I just started it with the new setup and then shut it off with my smart start app and then refreshed the Smartthings app. Now it all good.

Why didnā€™t I think of that?! Thanks, that sorted it!

No worries, thatā€™s why weā€™re here.

Iā€™m guessing from that fix the SmartThings status could go out of sync if you start the car using either the remote or the viper app, it wonā€™t know that itā€™s been started elsewhere?