[Release] Vehicle Remote Start (SmartStart) Integration

It would be great to know, and consider including at some point. Certainly post it or private message it to me if it’s better. Thanks!

1 Like

Michigan eh. Yeah I’m in Alberta, Canada. So it’s fricken cold here right now, - 30C. That’s why I wanted what you’ve got set up. I have my Smartstart integrated with Alexa as well. I like this tech stuff, it’s fun to play with.

This stuff is amazing. Literally anything can be automated. My truck just went through its next schedule, and this time it shut off after one minute and then restarted and stayed running its full 15 minute cycle. Not sure why it does that. I wonder if there is some kind of command you can give webCoRe to tell it to start once and that’s it.

We’ll have to see what you can come up with on Thursday.

I have mine setup to avoid that. Pause your Piston or delete it. The only way to fix it is via my workaround. Are you familiar with ifttt at all?

Yeah a little bit. I’m using it for a couple of home automations. I was using it for turning on and off my front porch light based on sunrise and sunset, but I found it to be unreliable, so now it’s just on a timer through ST.

You’re going to need to create an ifttt account and connect it to these two services.

Go into your IFTTTT account and follow the screen shots. In the final one you’ll need the url for the next steps.

The url will now be entered into webCoRE as follows.

Go into smartthings app and authorize your smart start system… mine is called Viper.

Now for the final step go back into the ifttt app and follow these screen shots.

While you do that I’m going to tend to my daughter and I’ll be back with a piston by the end of the night.

With certain integrations its terribly unreliable but with webhooks and smartthings its perfect. It fails every once in awhile but a small failure rate that’s acceptable.

Here’s your Piston.

Btw leave the webhooks call in ifttt startViper…thats very important to not change that.

Why not use webCoRE for your outside light? Dimmer 11 is your front porch light.

Cool I’ll try that too, thanks.

Just got the IFTTT schedule set up for the start command. Now I’ll need to set up the command for lock and unlock, however, when I try to set up and applet for that it doesn’t show any device that has an option for lock or unlock.

Do I need to set up something else in ST first?

Will this start command work now as set up with webCoRe? Will it send me notifications if it starts or not?

I can’t seem to change the Dimmer 11 you have on this piston to my device name, it doesn’t show up in webCoRe. It’s a Tp-Link Hs200. I have another dimmer in my kitchen integrated with ST that is a Tp-link as well, but I don’t know how to add the porch light switch to ST. When I try to add it to the TP-link smart app in ST, it won’t save, it says error saving. Not sure why. I tried adding it through Smartthings IDE, but it doesn’t seem to work either, what do I put for the device network ID?

Do I still have to leave the webCoRe piston running?

You said earlier to pause it or delete it. How does IFTTT know when to start the truck and at what temperature, etc?

Oops sorry yes. Add it as a lock in smartthings app.

If you imported the piston it should start your car as requested.

For notifications I just set the applet up in ifttt to send me a push notification.

If you want to know about erroring out go into smartthings and add the code from the webhook url (only the code portion not the entire url) to your smart start device under its settings and create a webhook called “smartStartError” You can set it up as a webhook
to android/iphone notification (depending on your phone model).

For your front porch light If it’s not showing up in webCoRE then my only guess it didn’t get authorized properly. Check webCoRE via smartthings and see if it’s on the lists.

OK got that and done.

Only thing is, do I still use the original piston you sent me originally that I was using, or do you create a new one to use with the IFTTT setup now? I think you mentioned earlier something about a new piston once the IFTTT integration was set up.

Nope you don’t need a Piston for the error notification.

For the startViper i posted a Piston in post #86. You can delete the first one i sent you.

Oh sorry I missed that one.

You say to leave the “startViper” as is, even if my IFTTT maker command is “start_Viper Smartstart” ?

Yes change your ifttt maker to startViper or change it on the Piston to start_Viper Smartstart. Either way the piston and the ifttt call need to match.

I wouldn’t put spaces in a webcall though. Webhooks and spaces don’t play nice together.

1 Like

Yeah I already changed it and took out the spaces. Thanks man.

1 Like

Not a problem. I hope you enjoy.

1 Like

So the truck started right on schedule this morning when it was supposed to, and ran its full 15 minutes. Perfect. But the three hour schedule after that it just didn’t start. Is that odd, or normal?

It should’ve started was it for sure still below -20?

Oh hell yeah, - 27. I looked at the activity log for the Viper in ST and it showed that it sent the command this morning at 11 when it did start but that’s it for the day. No more commands. When I checked the webCoRe dashboard at my piston it was counting down the three hours till the next scheduled command but when that time was up nothing happened and it reset the timer for the next three hours. I’ll wait until the next schedule and see what it does and let you known. Any ideas?

If I look up the piston state on webCoRe it actually does show that it was executed at the proper time, but Smartthings just didn’t get the command, or IFTTT or wherever it goes from there.