[Release] Vehicle Remote Start (SmartStart) Integration

@john159753. Thanks for the info John. If I look at my truck smartapp in smartthings app it shows I have the refresh set to 30 minutes, and it definitely has every 30 minute refresh listed in the history. I just don’t get why it actually sent a lock command through webCore and IFTTT just that one time I tested it. When I changed the time for the lock command in webCore to a more reasonable time, now it doesn’t work anymore. I even created a new applet in IFTTT and linked it with my webCore piston but still nothing. webCore says it initiated the command successfully but nothing happens, and even if I look in IFTTT it says it never triggered. I’m confused. And I checked out the Action Tiles but that is really leaving me confused, lol. I think I’m just so used to the Smartthings App that Action Tiles is like Greek right now. lol.

This is how it looks in ST but the car is both locked and not running

Using it in actiontiles it’s working great. I changed the start icon to a car when not running and a car with smoke coming out the exhaust when I start it. John thank you for the work you put in to get rid together for the community. Cheers :tumbler_glass:

@john159753. So I believe I figured out the lock/unlock request not working. You were right, the request will not perform if the app sees the vehicle as already locked if I send a lock command to it through webCore/IFTTT. It runs the command, but the actual action doesn’t happen if it is already locked. The ST app won’t show that it locked. I unlocked the vehicle first and then ran that exact same command from webCore and it worked. It showed up immediately in Actiontiles ( yes I actually sort of figured out how to work it, lol) and also in ST app that it had locked. Super happy now that it always did work, it just didn’t need to lock it when it already was locked. I also got the message to my phone that the truck locked. Cool. So one thing now, regarding Actiontiles, can I make automations through this as well, if so how do I do that?

@kkleef Change your webcore piston setting to disable command optimization.

In the upper right corner of your Piston in edit mode, click show piston settings.

Click on settings where you now see
settings
End settings
Click on the cog and then disable command optimizations.

how did you get a car with exhaust when it’s running? I can’t find any icon like that in the list of icons. Curious if you can make your own?

Under ActionTiles when you select the device select icon edit where it says home on the next screen delete that and type in car.

Yeah I tried that already. Among a bunch of other icons, it shows 9 different kinds of cars, none with any exhaust smoke. Strange.

Well not really exhaust smoke. More like a wifi signal but we’re just going to look at that as exhaust smoke today.

Lol. I kind of figured that’s what you were using. It’ll work as heavy exhaust smoke I suppose.

So I tried what you suggested with the command optimization disable in webCore but it didn’t make any difference. In webCore it shows a successful command to IFTTT, and in IFTTT it shows that it ran the command. The only thing is my remote didn’t actually lock the truck. It seems that it will not actually lock it if it already is locked. Not a bad thing I guess, but I was only hoping that it would actually send a lock anyway and let me know that it did, just to be sure. I suppose maybe I’m just being silly, because I already know that it works fine if I unlock it and then test the command. However, I have not tested it yet by simply leaving the truck unlocked after parking it and then try the webCore command. I’ll try that tomorrow. I only know it works if I unlock it with the app and then running the lock command.

@john159753 I seemed to have found the problem I’m having. My Smartstart app has been locking me out from too many failed login attempts. After much searching for the answer to that, I realized. That on my Smartthings app under the smart app that you created, there is a credentials tab that needs to be filled out. When I fill it out and close out of that page and then come back, the password for my login to Smartstart has disappeared. This is why I’m getting locked out from failed login attempts. And this is why webcore and ifttt are showing that they’re working properly doing their part, it’s just not actually getting the signal to my truck because it can’t login. How do it get my credentials to stay on there? Is there anywhere on the smartapp in the Smartthings webpage that I need to fill out login info as well? This is confusing me.

Here’s how it looks on the Smartthings classic app. I still never deleted mine. Not going too lol.

@Nate_Hawkins neither did I…does yours give the annoying pop up every 30 seconds that makes you close the app out and reopen? Which is actually less annoying than the new app…

Mine just gives me a screen I have to hit “Got It” button to close out the pop up.

Yeah they eventually block out the entire screen after being on it for 30 seconds.

I had a iPhone. Might be different.

Question: when I start my truck with my phone app, why doesn’t it show on action tiles or smartthings that it’s running? Or when I lock or unlock it for that matter too? It seems that the remote app doesn’t sync with actiontiles or the smartthings smartapp.

Hi Ken

I’m trying to set this up? Steps please? Need your help.

Thxs
Mike

Thank you so much for this John. I upgraded my DSM300 to the VSM550 and a nice gentleman on FB activated it on my account. This smartapp and dth work perfectly without any delays at all. @Nate_Hawkins thanks for the tip btw. :upside_down_face:

1 Like