[OBSOLETE] .. Updated Open Source Ecobee Device Type and SmartApps

Something is out of whack. Mine has been very stable for the most part. I think it’s been a couple weeks since I saw a disconnect. Can you take her off the notifications so she isn’t bothered by any status conditions? With my wife I just setup a SmartTiles browser link for her to interface with the system and keep her and the kids out of the mobile app period… made home life a lot more pleasant thanks to @tgauchat :grinning:

1 Like

In addition to Dalec sentiments I make sure that even if ST disconnects from Ecobee, that my Ecobee schedule will continue as close to my schedule as possible.

If disconnected, the only real drawback for me would be that the thermostat does not go into away mode automatically, instead, it takes something like 2 hours for the Ecobee to realize I’m not home and adjust.

Granted, there is no control from ST, but even then there is the Ecobee app.

1 Like

Can you describe your setup? Did you change any of the default parameters
such a poll time? A higher poll interval is usually the culprit.

Are you using any watchdog devices? If so, don’t. Those were needed when
the timers were completely broken. But now they cause more problems than
they solve.

To be honest, I simply went plug and play, I didn’t change anything from your code, just copy pasted. I was gonna try to delete it all and start from scratch, but it seems I can’t because I can’t delete anything because something else is using it. I have 2 ecobee3 thermostats and 3 remote sensors.

I’ve had sensor disconnects the past 24 hours They come back within a couple of mins. Two different thermostats with two different sensors had the disconnects. In total there have been five disconnects. I’m using all of the default parameters on the devices / smartapp. Not using anywatchdogs.

Sensor disconnects have nothing to do with the SmartApo as they occur between the sensor and the Ecobee. This can be caused by low batteries or being too far away from the Ecobee. The one in my office is right at the edge and disconnects quite a bit.

Quick question on the Helper SmartApps…more specifically the “Away” Routine Handler and selection of the “Until I Change” Hold Type.

With this selection, it appears my “Home” Routine Handler with “Until Next Program” does not change. I have to do so manually…is this intended?

I would think that “Until I Change” would then be the “Home” and “Until Next Program”?

What I’m looking for is to be “Away” and I do not want that to resume according to my set schedule in Ecobee but when I actually come home per my Modes.

Am I not doing something right or is this intended function?

Not sure I’m following what you have setup here.

Do you have two Helper SmartApps setup? One for Away and one for Home?

“Until I Change” means exactly as it states, the program that is running won’t change on its own, it will only change if some other event changes it explicitly. This is the same as selecting “Until I Change” on the thermostat.

So, if you have the Away Helper SmartApp set to the Away Comfort Setting and “Until I Change” and it is activated when the “Away” Mode is triggered, then it will stay in that Comfort Setting (Program) until something else changes it. If you then also have a Home Helper SmartApp setup to change to your “Home” ComfortSetting when the “Home” Mode is activated, then it should switch to that.

But something has to trigger the Modes, which is usually done via a Routine. (Remember that a Routine and a Mode are two different things.)

Exactly.

Yes, I have routines that change my modes.

When I use the ST Away Mode my Ecobee “Away” and “Until I change” works as it should.

When I use ST Home Mode my Ecobee “Home” and “Until Next Program” does not work…it stays in the Ecobee Away Mode.

Basically my Routine processes and my ST Home Mode changes but my Ecobee Mode does not change.

Hmmm, okay. I’ll have to experiment and see if I can reproduce.

Experimented with “Away” and “Until Next Program” today and all went as it should.

It seems the “Until I Change” doesn’t want to transition.

Thanks, that gives me a starting point to look at. They all use the exact same API calls, so I’m a bit baffled why it wouldn’t work but there might be something subtle I’m missing.

I did the same (as 1st example) with rule machine and all was fine.

I am using CoRE now and although it has the capability (or will) I thought I would give this helper app a a try for an easy solve.

BTW…

I watched some Airplane the other night :wink:

1 Like

Hmmm … never had that problem with my ecobee3s … they always resume program when presence is detected (unless the windows are open … using CoRE).

… and “don’t call me Surely …” LOL

“I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines” LOL!

Yes, they will resume unless you tell it not to “Until I change”.

The problem is that when I do change it to Home mode it doesn’t change when “Until I change” is used.

I’m not able to reproduce this. I just tried using both Mode and Routine with the same results.

I’ll grab some screenshots and post what I saw in a few.

Would it have anything to do with setting the hold type here:

I’m confused w/this. If we are specifying the hold type with the helper app what function does this serve?..manually adjusting temps maybe?

It shouldn’t have any impact, they work independently. The settings in the Connect app will impact the buttons in the Thermostat Tile so you can control how those will behave. But anything you set in the helper app can override those.

Btw, I use the same “Until Next Program” as my default in the Connect app.

Here is how I setup the two helper apps:

Yeah, when I come home my mode changes and everything does as it should except I cannot get the thermostat to switch from “Away” “Until I change” to “Home” “Until Next Program”.

I did not try Routines vs. Modes…I only tried Modes.

I will try Routines and see what happens.