[OBSOLETE] .. Updated Open Source Ecobee Device Type and SmartApps

Mine shows up in family also. I wonder if it is due to the API feature showing connected or disconnected, as you said @StrykerSKS can answer that.

What condition are you using in Rule Machine based on the time trigger? Do you have the latest rule code installed?

HLlalo, to your questions:

Under Select Hold type- what does this refer to - Is it related to say, if I override my conform setting the thermostat willnt keep temperature until i change it or until next scheduled event.

This is related to the Hold features on the thermostat.

• Permanent == ā€œUntil you change itā€ equivalent. It basically says that the temperature wonā€™t change again until you change it (or some other process/program/automation changes it in our case)
  • Temporary == ā€œUntil the next scheduled activityā€. This means that whatever temperature you set will automatically revert back to the regular schedule at the next time slot (e.g. if you are currently in ā€œHomeā€ mode and the next program is ā€œSleepā€ it would automatically revert to the Sleep program at the scheduled time.

Perhaps I should change the names of these to make it match the wording used by the Ecobee thermostat. Any interest in me also adding the option to hold for 2 or 4 hours like at the thermostat?

smart auto temperature- Does this enable smart away feature in ecobee 3 or something else?In your thread you make reference to arrows for temperature adjustment, but just a little perplex with the name you used.

The Smart Auto temperature feature was to deal with something I found annoying with all of the thermostat implementations that I found that only had one set of setting arrows. If you were in Auto mode, then trying to change the temperature from the app was not allowed at all. So imagine if your Auto mode was set to Cool: 74 and Heat: 66 and the current temperature in the house was at 66. You up late perhaps, getting a little chilly and want to change the temperature, but the app wonā€™t let you. So I wanted the ability to simply click the up button and raise the heat temperature to take the chill off (or down and drop the temperature).

So this does not have anything to do with any of the ā€œsmartā€ features found on the Ecobee itself.

Also note that when using the sliders, this Smart Auto Temp feature is not engaged since the sliders set the individual setpoints for Heat and Cool, so no need to guess the intent of the end user (since it is quite explicit).

// Sean

The reason I have it in both the SmartApp AND in the individual thermostats is so that if you want to have different behavior for different thermostats then you are able to override it at the thermostat level. The SmartApp setting will then be the initial setting used by all thermostats but if you change it at the thermostat device in the app then that thermostat will use its overriden settings instead.

This is correct, the SmartApp only communicates with the Ecobee servers via an API, never talks directly to the thermostat or the sensors. It is a shame, really, that Ecobee chose to go proprietary instead of using Zigbee or ZWave for their sensors as it limits their range and also prevents direct integration, but I suspect that was a conscious decision since having it integrated directly with other systems would likely cause support problems for them.

This was existing behavior, but I can explain why it is happening. The Thermostat device type definition includes the ā€œPresence Sensorā€ capability, so that it can be use as part of Presence scenarios. This can be quite useful for SmartApps (and the built in Hello Commands) that want to use presence to trigger actions.

Check out the info here related to the Presence Sensor Capability.

Iā€™ve also been considering adding this capability to the sensors as well since they are really more Presence Sensors than they are motion detectors (the sensors do not provide a real-time update).

That makes a lot of sense to make the remote sensors presence instead of motion. Could you make it where the user could define their choice as an OR?

To make it a choice weā€™d have to have two different types of Ecobee Sensor Device Types, there is no way in the architecture (that Iā€™m aware of) to do this as a selection. The ā€œcapabilitiesā€ for a device are defined in the Metadata for the device type.

But actually, the more I look at this I think the Presence Sensor capability in SmartThings is more intended to cover the arrival and leaving scenarios and to determine if a particular person/item is present. Even the attributes related to the capability only include ā€œpresentā€ and ā€œnot presentā€. So Iā€™m not sure that Presence Sensor should really be applied at all to the Ecobee Thermostat and its sensors under this context.

Check this out:

And this one too:
http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html#presence-sensor

Does this work with the remote sensors? I am using the Keep Me Cozy II with SmartSense Multisensors since my thermostat is not located where we typically are and it is flaky to say the least. I was considering the ecobee as an alternative.

Yes, this smartapp does allow you to add your ecobee3 sensors to smarthings.

StrykerSKS
Thanks for feedback.
Personally I dont see a need for 2 or 4hr delay based on my family habits. Currently I am using IFTTT that places my ecobee in away mode as soon as everyone leaves. Instead of relying on Smartaway feature to kick in minutes or hrs after I left home.

ncsufire
I made it a simple rule to test out if I could turn off, set to heat Ecobee using rule machine. As i mentioned before i performed this experiment and the ecobee temperature was adjusted, but the system didnā€™t changed from off mode to heat mode.

@HLlalo, Iā€™ve thought about using IFTTT, but I donā€™t see a way to put it in away mode if ALL phones leave. Seems easy enough to do it if ANY phones leave, but obviously if I leave and my wife is still at home I wouldnā€™t want it to go to away mode.

Using IFTTT for home mode works great.

How do you have IFTTT setup?

@strykerSKS just installed your ecobee3 device and smartapp. Ive been up and running for a few hours and so far its working great. The UI and the combined remote sensors is a much nicer way to integrate than yrancine had it. Bonus! all my smartapps are still working. Open door -> shut off air/heat. And when heating or cooling -> turn on my fans.

Thanks for the great work. Ill update if i come across any issues.

1 Like

@HLlalo, Wow! thanks for that!

Iā€™ll have to look into this. Right now I have SmartThingsā€™ routines setting the temp of my thermostat when Iā€™m home or away with a temporary (until next transition) temperature hold. Works alright, but if I want to change the ā€˜Homeā€™ temp from say 21 degrees to 21.5 Celsius I need to do it in several places: (the thermostatā€™s program, Smarttingsā€™ routines and any smartthings apps)

Having it all in one place by using Climates is definitely the way to go. Until this SmartApp and SmartDevice can handle Climates IFTTT may be the way to go!

@StrykerSKS, Iā€™ve thought about creating a ticket for this in Github (to have the thermostat be able to control the Climate) but there are enough other more important things I know you are working on first. Iā€™ve tried coding this myself, but I clearly donā€™t know enough to make this work :smile:

In any case, sounds like IFTTT might be the way to go for now so that the development of this SmartApp can be focused on more important things like making Celsius work, fixing bugs etc. Would be nice to have Climate controls as a future development though.

@HLlalo very nice, thank you for sharing! @Snakedog116 I use IFTTT to change my Ecobee status based on my security system (not currently integrated with ST). When we set the system to Away or Disarm I have it send an email notification to my GMail account and apply a label. IFTTT then picks up the email label and will set the thermostat to Away until the next schedule or Normal/Resume schedule.

I like what you did by using the presence sensors and may consider this now that I am using ST more. I have been testing the ST presence sensors to arm and disarm the ST, it currently monitors my two MyQ garage doors and now the ecobee thermostat and remote sensors for activity to create an alert. The only issue I could for my applications is that I am at a neighbors house which is within my locational circle and it would change the thermostat status.

I increased my Geofense to 1000 ft around my house. Once I leave this area my system changes states. So using our phones as presence sensors allows me to go to my neighbors house and my system will show I am home.

I donā€™t think the current Ecobee thermostat program has the ability to change comfort modes. This may be the reason why Rule Machine is not picking up the ability to change the mode, only temperature. Maybe once the program is updated to include changing Comfort Settings we can ask Bruce to incorporate this into his Rule Machine.

That is correct, the current Ecobee device does not handle ā€˜climatesā€™ or comfort Settings. (Home, away, sleep etc.)

If I open Ecobee device in smartthings I can switch from off to hot. I have verified it. That why I am curious if issue is Rule machine or Ecobee smarts app.

Turning the furnace between auto, heat, cool, and off (Mode) and changing it between away, home and sleep (Climate) are two different things.

The current device can do modes, but cannot do climates.

Iā€™ve tried to set a mode with ā€˜rule machineā€™ without any luck. If this is something thatā€™s important to you, perhaps open an issue on GitHub for both projects, personally I have no idea which side the error is on.

Cool, are you saying that your old yrancine SmartApps are still working? Or different ones?

I have it on my ToDo list to port over the various SmartApps, so would be good to know that they are still working, although Iā€™m a bit surprised since it might rely on some specific sommands he had that I havenā€™t included.

Can you specify with SmartApps specifically are still working for you, could be very helpful for others?

Thanks